Menu

Doing Saxon Advanced Mathematics in one year for someone who's already had geometry

Guest emwcee

I have a senior this year. She has taken Algebra 1 (using Teaching Textbooks), Geometry (using Jacobs Geometry at the homeschool co-op), and Algebra 2 (using Glencoe Algebra 2 at the homeschool co-op). Now she needs to have a course in "something that builds in Algebra 2" in order to get into our state university.

A friend gave us all the texts and solutions for Saxon Advanced Math, plus the Dive CD. We'd like to use this if we could. However, math is a difficult subject for her, and my husband and I are unable to help her at all.

From what I understand, Saxon Advanced Math covers geometry concepts as well as trig and pre-cal, and is designed to be a four-semester course for most students. The preface says that it is a two-semester course only for highly motivated students. She is highly motivated in other subjects, but not in math.

To be truthful, all I want to do is to get her through this class so we can put it on her transcript. Since this is designed to be a four-year course, can she just do part of the book and call it a one-year course? Would it be okay to skip the parts that she's already studied in geometry? Would it be okay to just do the odd-numbered problems? Does anyone have a list of relevant chapters for those who have already taken geometry? (we have the second edition)

Any other advice?

Dd did this course in 1 year. You really need to do 1 lesson per day to cover it. We did one lesson a day and then friday was test day. If she has already had some of the material it should make it a little easier. You should not however skip any of the problems. The course does spiral so it is necessary to do all the problems so that the reinforcement is there. If you skip some of the problems you may skip something important.

Dd did this course in 1 year. You really need to do 1 lesson per day to cover it. We did one lesson a day and then friday was test day. If she has already had some of the material it should make it a little easier. You should not however skip any of the problems. The course does spiral so it is necessary to do all the problems so that the reinforcement is there. If you skip some of the problems you may skip something important.

:iagree:

Some schools which schedule two years for completing the course label them as Advanced Math I and Advanced Math II. I would think she would be fine doing half of the book, not skipping any problems, and calling it Advanced Math I on her transcript. You can give a full credit, as that's how it's done by schools which allow two years to complete the course. Especially having had the geometry already, she should have no difficulty completing that with the materials you have.

My high school used Saxon, and covered Advanced Math in one year. I took it in 11th grade. (Previous math: Algebra, Geometry, Saxon Algebra 2) As in the above quote, we did one lesson a day and tests on Fridays. We never skipped problems. In addition to the 1 hour class time, I spent 1-2 hours on my math homework every day (except Friday). It was a lot of work, but I scored high enough on the PSAT at the end of the year to be a National Merit Semi-finalist. I credit my math course! (In fact, I loved the class so much that I saved up my money to buy my own copy of the text after I graduated. :001_huh: I still have it sitting on my shelf. :D)

If she needs this to get into the state university, I would want to speak to someone in admissions and clarify exactly what is acceptable. I would start by asking an open-ended question: Can you give me examples of courses that are considered to build on Algebra 2? And follow up with asking specifically about Saxon.

I would imagine that it's fine to do half of the book (and I would simply do half of it in order, no skipping around), but if it's the deal breaker for her to be admitted or not, I'd want things spelled out for me. And I would try to do it via email or snail mail; at a minimum, take close notes.

Also, it may well be that some of the accepted courses are considerably easier than Saxon Advanced Math - - for example, a problem solving type course that applies everything learned in Algebra 2, but teaches few new concepts, may well be considered as 'building' on Algebra 2. This would be the way I'd want to go with a non-motivated student who doesn't have readily available help.

Thanks for all the advice. Your advice was very helpful and made me realize that there is no way she can get through even part this book. I looked at the Saxon book again and felt like I wanted to cry. (Saxon always does that to me.) I finally said, "I don't care if this book is free. It's not going to work for us."

In desparation I looked on-line and discovered the Life of Fred books. Called and talked with the author himself, and I think the Trigonometry book (which includes Pre-cal) will be a good fit for her. They are very reasonably priced and are written specifically for math-haters.

Here is the link, if anyone is curious about it:

http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html