Menu

Question about Livestock Guardian dogs?

We're getting a LGD in a few weeks and I had a few training questions. How much training/socialization do I need to do? Should I be bringing him to soccer games with me and go to obedience training or should I be limiting his time with other people? While his time will be spent doing his job out with the animals, I don't want him to be nervous around people & freak out when the UPS man comes:). I'm reading conflicting information - some says limit contact with people & other says to socialize.

Thanks.

Karen

for your reply. My understanding was that they cannot be left with the livestock immediately but have to be gradually bonded with them first. Am I correct? So I keep him with me? or in the crate and he spends increasing amounts of time with the animals? Thank you for the pointer about getting them in the car - yes, that could be problematic once he's grown. When we went to the farm to pick him out, the parents (& pups) were not keep in a fenced area. They were free to roam but didn't leave their charges so that's interesting about a pyr bolting. He's not a pyr, he's a maremma so I don't know if that makes a difference.