Menu

ABeka Phonics vs OPGTR

ByGrace3

What are the pros/cons of each? We are currently using ABeka K phonics, but just wondering about the other. Especially as I consider what reading/phonics to use for my ds for next year (he will be 4 then). OPGTR seems simpler. So far with ABeka, it seems like alot of "stuff" that could be done much more simply . . . any thoughts on both are appreciated! Thanks!

I used Abeka K 2 years ago for my dd. It has some pics and it is cute, my dd has a great reading foundation. But she did not like it - she does not like any kind of school, or anything that reminds her of school. I am using it now together with Phonics Pathway for my current 5 yo boy, and he loves the workbook and the big cards, he wants more. He reads from the Handbook for reading and the little readers. Just different kids. Don't know about the other one, but my cousin who is using it says it's boring for the child, but solid.

i did Abeka phonics for my struggling reader in grade 1 and i personally found the readers to be BORING, but the phonics and the foundation is solid, and it helped push my struggling reader over the hump.

i have been using OPGTR since last fall for my dd5. she has done very well, but it is tough going sometimes, because the sentences get LONG and she gets tired. when they say "one new review two" they mean it. it is not a book that is meant to be rushed through, and i think a little creativity on the part of mom can make it more fun, but it is rock solid, and i'm pretty amazed that on the first day of what would be k (tomorrow) my dd can already read.