Menu

If you didn't like Apologia Gen. Science,

creekmom

what have you found that you like better? Apologia seems to be trying so hard to defend the Christian point of view, that it presents science as "here are the facts compared to the other guys" instead of "here are the facts". It seems to be the opposite extreme of public school texts. We are Christians, but my dh and I want a science text that focuses on science- not so much the defensive view of Creationists. My husband says the book reads more like a political campaign than a science text. I don't want to start an argument about Apologia; I just wanted to explain why we weren't happy with it so that others with the same view could comment on texts they like that take a different approach.

Honestly, I haven't seen a Christian science text that doesn't take that approach. That's why we've generally taken the secular science route. Sonlight is the only science I've seen that presents both sides, but once they hit 7th/8th SL goes into Apologia.

I'm not sure what grade level you're looking for, but if you want high school level, Biology: A Self Teaching Guide and that series of other "Self Teaching Guides" gets good reviews (secular). For middle school, a lot of people like the Prentice Hall Science Explorer series. I find it's much easier to insert your own views into a secular text than to try and tone down a Christian text, but that's just me. ;)

what have you found that you like better? Apologia seems to be trying so hard to defend the Christian point of view, that it presents science as "here are the facts compared to the other guys" instead of "here are the facts". It seems to be the opposite extreme of public school texts. We are Christians, but my dh and I want a science text that focuses on science- not so much the defensive view of Creationists. My husband says the book reads more like a political campaign than a science text. I don't want to start an argument about Apologia; I just wanted to explain why we weren't happy with it so that others with the same view could comment on texts they like that take a different approach.

I have found the same problem with Apologia so I've chosen not to use it. Unfortunately the choices for middle school are pretty lean. Public school texts are difficult to implement if you want any significant lab work. BJU is not quite as 'in your face' as Apologia and the text itself is much better in my opinion, but again it can be difficult to implement. They do have DVD lessons and kits though so that's an option.

For 8th grade and up I choose to use DIVE lessons. The lessons are Christian without being preachy and you can choose a variety of texts to go with it (the syllabus for several books come with it). You can choose a Christian text or a secular one. We used Chemistry last year and chose a Christian text and this year we are using Biology with a secular text. The Christian emphasis of the lectures will hopefully provide a nice balance without being too preachy.

Another option for middle school is Rainbow Science. I used it with my oldest and it was ok. I have chosen not to with my middle dd because while I liked it, it wasn't so fantastic that I want to lay out the money again. But then again, I am now facing 6th and 7th grade for my middle dd with no science decision. GRR. I'm hoping that the advanced level of Science Excursion will be available this month as promised. If not, I'm in trouble. I may have to use something like Apologia that I really don't like just to mark time until we get to the 8th grade and can use DIVE for Physical Science.

Heather

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

The problem is that "the facts" are interpreted differently based on worldview. A text that claims it's just giving the facts is still making interpretations based on a world view, just not being honest about it.