Menu

soup recipes without tomatoes

I have finally (Eureka!) realized that cooking a pot of soup on Saturday works very well for our family b/c we have it for Sunday lunch after church and leftovers on Monday night when ds has Scouts, and we do not all eat at the same time. Duh! It's the small things, right?

Anyway, I am now on the quest for soup recipes. Unfortunately, ds does not care for anything that is tomato-based which is ruling out quite a few. So, any great soup recipes that do NOT include tomatoes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS I have found that sometimes I can whirl the tomatoes in the food processor and get away with tomato-based soups. It's the "pieces" that he seems most opposed to. Nevertheless, if they have too many tomatoes, this trick doesn't work.

Leek and Potato soup (just made this Friday, it's a favorite of my kids)

2 medium leeks, thinly sliced

5 medium potatoes, diced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

48 oz. chicken broth

1 cup half and half

1tbs butter

salt and pepper to taste

Saute the leeks and garlic with the butter in a large pot until softened. Add potatoes and chicken broth. Simmer until potatoes are soft. Reduce heat and add half & half. Season to taste. If you like a thicker soup, you can use a hand blender to blend the potatoes a bit. We garnish with crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese.

This is off the top of my head so hopefully I'm not leaving anything out!

5-6 potatoes, peeled and diced

3 cans chicken broth

2-3 cups broccoli florets

1 onion, diced

1/4 cup flour

1 can FF evaporated milk

1-2 cups shredded Fiesta Blend Cheese

Put the veggies and potatoes in a pot and boil. When they are cooked, take out a bit of the broth (about 1/2 cup) and mix with flour. Mash up the potatoes a bit with a potatoe masher. Dump the flour mixture into the pot and let it cook a bit longer. When it starts to thicken, remove from heat. If boiling, let it stop. Stir in evap milk and cheese.

(even my "no broccoli" eater ate this one! It's really good!!!)

One of my all time favorite soups is the carrot soup from the original Moosewood cookbook (recipe here). I also make a variation of the mushroom barley soup in that cookbook--I use meaty, homemade chicken stock.

Another thing that you can do is jazz up a homemade chicken noodle soup by adding minced ginger, garlic, a bit of soy. This gives the end product an Asian flair and makes a great accompaniment to egg rolls.

Don't forget Greek lemon soup (Avgolemono)! Yum!

Absolutely the simplest lunch soup I know of:

1 can Cream of Chicken Soup

1 can Chicken with Rice Soup

1 can nonfat or low fat milk

(If you have made butter lately, adding the whey to this mixture makes it taste tremendously better, but it is great either way)

Whisk together, heat but try not to boil.

Serve with bread and with little slices of sharp cheddar cheese.

You can add leftover cooked chicken, cut into cubes, to make it heartier, but the fact that you're only using half the dilution liquid called for on the cans makes this rich and hearty either way.

Chicken Tortellini Soup

9 oz. package frozen cut broccoli, thawed

6 cups water

3 cans condensed chicken broth

1 (10-3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup

2 cups (about 4 breasts) boneless, skinless, split chicken breasts cubed and soaked in 1/2 cup dry vermouth (may substitute cooking sherry, white cooking wine or water if preferred)

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup grated carrots

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon basil leaves

1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves

12 oz. package cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)

grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

In a large saucepan or soup pot, combine water, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, soaked chicken, onions, carrots, basil and oregano.

Bring to a boil; add tortellini. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Add broccoli. Simmer an additional 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.

Serve garnished with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Butternut soup is easy and autumnal. Cook down chunks of butternut squash with a few quartered apples and some broth (I use chicken, but if you're avoiding meat, vegetable broth works well, too). Add whatever seasonings you like, such as curry powder or your favorite herbs. Puree it, and you have a lovely soup. Some people add a bit of cream, but I prefer it without. A splash of sherry, on the other hand, never goes awry.

And I'll enthusiastically second Jane's recommendation of avgolemono.

White Chili

1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken

28 oz. (2 cans) chicken broth

48 oz. Great Northern white beans (incl. liquid)

2-3 C white onions, finely chopped

2 T garlic, minced

4 oz can green chilies, chopped (incl. liquid)

2-3 T olive oil

2 tsp oregano

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp coriander

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Add any other vegetables you like - diced celery, chopped carrots, canned corn, more chilies, jalapeños, etc.

1. Lightly brown chicken, dice or chunk to bite size.

2. Sautée onions & garlic in olive oil until soft

3. Add chilis to onions & garlic

4. Place all ingredients into a pot, bring to a low boil & serve.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started making soups last winter. I went to AllRecipes.com and started with their Top 20 soups. Oh My!!! Delicious!!! Family faves (sans tomato) so far are: Delicious Ham & Potato, Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice (amazing!), and a few others. Be sure and read a few reviews first, which often have ideas on how to improve the recipe, or otherwise alter it. I rarely use my cookbooks for anything any more! HTH!