Menu

Any experiences with RightStart Math or Math on the Level?

Wendi

My 13yo Aspie is very behind in math. As soon as I start trying to teach him a math lesson, he gets frustrated. He complains of headaches, tiredness, etc. I really think he has some math issues, which are now complicated by his anxiety and frustration.

I want to get away from a textbook approach, build some confidence, relieve stress, and help fill in gaps in math skills/understanding, and am considering RightStart or Math on the Level. Can anyone share their experiences with either?

Thanks so much.

Wendi

I own Math on the Level, but since dd is only 3, I can't claim meaningful experience. :)

That said, there would have to be a more economical way to catch your boy up. Have you looked at MEP and CSMP, both free online? I obviously don't have experience with them either, but from their reviews, they are certainly different.

Rosie

I know that there are people who have posted on this board that LOVE MOTL...but I for one was not one of them. I have 3 kids and thought it was WAY too much extra work for me and I didn't like the idea that it was totally up to me to figure out what to teach next, how much to teach it and when to go on to the next tihng. I guess I just needed more structure than that. But again, some people LOVE that freedom.

My 13yo Aspie is very behind in math. As soon as I start trying to teach him a math lesson, he gets frustrated. He complains of headaches, tiredness, etc. I really think he has some math issues, which are now complicated by his anxiety and frustration.

I want to get away from a textbook approach, build some confidence, relieve stress, and help fill in gaps in math skills/understanding, and am considering RightStart or Math on the Level. Can anyone share their experiences with either?

Thanks so much.

Wendi

I am a huge Right Start fan, that said I hear good things about Math on the level as well.

The headaches, tiredness and such could be genuine. When things are really hard for kiddos it can be physically draining. I used to take it wrong, and used to think they were being passive aggressive (putting their heads down on the desk, rubbing the eyes, ect...) but then I ran across an article that said this was perfectly normal signs of mental fatigue. I sounds like he is in addition anticipating the difficulties and getting there sooner, which isn't fun to see. (((Hugs for Mom)))

My kids have various forms of dyslexia, so not the same thing, but it has worked really well for them. I do believe there are several people with Aspie students using RS successfully, but I am not positive about that.

Feel free to ask most specific questions if you have any.

Heather