Menu

Facebook DELETES homeschool kids?!

my daughter recently had her fb account deleted with this exact same reason. I emailed fb through her email address b/c it has to come from the account email that was deleted. I stated that she did not have a high school listed so I had no idea why she would be deleted over this issue. I wrote some other stuff going through the Terms of Use policy and how she had not violated any of them, asked for her page to reinstated. They emailed back stating her page had been accidentally deleted and her page was reactivated.

My daughter does not homeschool with the rest of us. She is ps..but does not have a school associated with her account just as a sidenote.

ETA: you can go into the contact facebook at the bottom of the login page to get the place where you find the email address to email over a disabled account or what I did was login to my account and get the address. But I'm sure you can Google it as well.

Edited by micheller1

But think about it----account is disabled because high school network is not verifiable. But if you are a homeschooler, you don't need to list a high school network.........:confused: To me this is underhanded discrimination because those that don't list a high school network are more than likely homeschoolers...I mean WHO is doing all the 'verifying' of high school networks? If there weren't numerous FB pages already devoted to this in addition to the other numerous complaints against FB on just one site I looked at this morning----I' might' consider it a harmless, inadvertent 'glitch'.

Maybe not.

How I'm reading the information is this:

1. Being on a particular high school network means that you would have a domain name on their network, and it is reflected in one's email address.

2. If one joins a high school network, but doesn't have the email address that verifies this, it would be a problem. So, kids going to a particular high school that try to join their high school page needs to have used their high school email address. If he/she uses a personal account, this could happen.

Separately, being a homeschooler, unless your homeschool has a facebook network, the above is irrelevant. However, if a child is homeschooled and attempted to join a high school network, he/she'd fall under #2 above.

Alternately, your child's account situation may not have anything to do with this, and they are supplying this information incorrectly to you. Someone who is trying to help mistakenly thinks this was the problem.

BTW, a quick bing search came up with this page. Perhaps it can help you?

http://www.marketingthatseasy.com/blog/2009/07/facebook-contact-info/

my daughter recently had her fb account deleted with this exact same reason. I emailed fb through her email address b/c it has to come from the account email that was deleted. I stated that she did not have a high school listed so I had no idea why she would be deleted over this issue. I wrote some other stuff going through the Terms of Use policy and how she had not violated any of them, asked for her page to reinstated. They emailed back stating her page had been accidentally deleted and her page was reactivated.

My daughter does not homeschool with the rest of us. She is ps..but does not have a school associated with her account just as a sidenote.

ETA: you can go into the contact facebook at the bottom of the login page to get the place where you find the email address to email over a disabled account or what I did was login to my account and get the address. But I'm sure you can Google it as well.

Nope. Contact info is NOT anywhere----and I have spent WAY too much time looking :001_huh: I did find a list of addresses to contact them, along with a LONG list of reasons why FB can disable accounts from a UK website:

http://contactdubai.com/tips/why-your-facebook-account-will-be-disabled

Yes, bunk that FB would discriminate against hsers. Glitches and hacking are possible, and poor communication, yes. However, the idea that FB would discriminate against hsers , and thereby lose thousands and thousands of subscribers, is bunk. And Chad, well, if Chad is in communcations...he needs to learn to communicate. None of that sounds right. It doesn't seem time to jump to the conclusion that FB *discriminates* against hsers.

Astrid---how about this one? I don't think you are being singled out at all! A few posts have sounded very skeptical, which is also surprising. But I assure everyone this is not made up, FB IS doing this randomly and it is a VERY sneaky tactic to mess with/discriminate against homeschoolers. I have read enough since last night and this morning to deduce this :glare:

I am going to get to the bottom of this. I highly doubt the high school network system is used to nab pedophiles. And just the last few days, I have seen 2 separate fake FB accounts. AND, just ran across this this morning STILL trying to find a way to contact FB:

http://www.contacthelp.com/directory/Internet/Web+Sites/Facebook?ListingID=324

Apparently---LOTS of issues with not being able to contact them for problems.

Edited by LibraryLover

School status is not a protected group like race, and if Facebook only wants to give accounts to kids who are in schools or wants to have homeschoolers go through a special process, they can do that.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Probably. But annoyed homeschooling mothers can tend to do this sometimes :tongue_smilie:

I don't personally believe that Facebook is actively discriminating against homeschooled kids, but I do know that homeschool discrimination occurs. It does bother me that people automatically discriminate against homeschoolers just as some automatically discriminate based on gender or ethnicity. I meet very few people who believe this sort of discrimination occurs.

How comfortable would your children feel in a college classroom when the professor has stated, "I don't believe homeschooled kids should be allowed into colleges?" How is that any different than saying, "I don't believe women should be allowed in colleges?"

I understand privacy concerns and wanting to protect Facebook teens from predators, but a far better solution would be to have legal guardians do the protecting. If I had a child who accepted a friendship on Facebook of a person he or she did not know in real life, I would remove his or her account. I would also require that my underage children have me as a friend and that I would be able to sign into the account.

That FB would discriminate against hsers. Glitches and hacking are possible, but the idea that FB would discriminate against hsers , and thereby lose thousands and thousands of subscribers, is bunk. And Chad, well, if Chad is in communcations...he needs to learn to communicate. None of that sounds right. It doesn't seem time to jump to the conclusion that FB *discriminates* against hsers.

Well, I would believe that same thing if it wasn't for another mother I have been talking to on another board who actually did get in contact with FB and was made to jump through hoops for 2 months verifying her son's homeschool status!!! FB made it VERY clear to her that there were special 'rules' for homeschoolers. It's simply irritating and I guess we are all free to take what we want from the information I have provided and the information I have researched.

FWIW, my daughter was getting friend requests from someone who claimed they were homeschooled (this being the explanation for why he wasn't in a high school network), but his whole page looked fishy. And he was only friending girls. And a lot of the girls were accepting his request because they thought *maybe* he was friends with someone they knew. So I could maybe see how fb (if they were paying attention, which I'm not convinced they are) might be concerned about people posing as high school kids who are claiming to be homeschooled. It does look like it might be an avenue for weirdos to get in and start finding info about kids.

This happened to a friend's daughter. He (the FB man, pretending to be a kid) was trying to make plans to meet this girl and her friend at a mall. My friend got a call at work from the FBI and then the school principal. The FBI was investigating the situation, and wanted to make sure they didn't meet up.

I guess the reason that some are suspicious (And I AM...I will just come right out and say it!) is because:

A) The title is very provacative. It IS the sort of thing that would get people all riled up.

B) Like a PP's dh said,"What purpose would FB have for just blatantly practicing "discrimination" on homeschoolers?!

C) NUMEROUS contact info has been provided to the OP via links in this very thread, but OP still says, "I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO CONTACT FACEBOOK!! PLEASE TELL ME!!"

:confused:

I guess the reason that some are suspicious (And I AM...I will just come right out and say it!) is because:

A) The title is very provacative. It IS the sort of thing that would get people all riled up.

B) Like a PP's dh said,"What purpose would FB have for just blatantly practicing "discrimination" on homeschoolers?!

C) NUMEROUS contact info has been provided to the OP via links in this very thread, but OP still says, "I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO CONTACT FACEBOOK!! PLEASE TELL ME!!"

:confused:

Where is this NUMEROUS contact info for FB provided to me??? I had to do my own google search to find it. And it wasn't easy.

Read the links that have been provided to you in this thread. The contact info is right there. I tried to copy and paste it for you, but the pages were protected from copying.

ETA: I guess this thread is a joke and I fell for it. I typed "Facebook Contact Info" into google and a whole page of helpful links came up, some of which are the links already provided to the OP in her own thread.

Silly me.

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

Read the links that have been provided to you in this thread. The contact info is right there. I tried to copy and paste it for you, but the pages were protected from copying.

ETA: I guess this thread is a joke and I fell for it. I typed "Facebook Contact Info" into google and a whole page of helpful links came up, some of which are the links already provided to the OP in her own thread.

Silly me.

What the heck are you talking about?! Just try and click any of those on the google search you mention! FB provides NO discernable way to contact them from those pages---even IF I am logged in. I finally found a page from teh UK that someone lists 3 different emails to send to them----I tried one and it worked. I have not heard back from them----but I never received an email back telling me that there is a permanent error in that email like the webmaster@facebook.com address has!!!

Why do you feel the need to discount me on this one? My son has had an interesting experience with FB, he's not the ONLY one as a homeschooler to experience this and you want to argue me down about it. Why? I was posting here to see if anyone else has experience this, to see if anyone has advice and perhaps to get the word out that this is happening randomly but regularly to homeschoolers who don't claim a high school network.

Back off. It's not a hoax.

I haven't read through this whole thread so I apologize if I'm just reiterating info. that has already been put out there :) .

Here's my thoughts. If this really is happening, my guess would be that it's a matter of FB being extra cautious in the way of security, not a specific attack on homeschoolers for the sake of discriminating against us.

Think about it...if a sex offender is going to try and lure teenagers..who do you think he's going to pose as..my guess would be another teenager.

If a high school aged kid is on there but doesn't seem to have any in real life connection (such as through a school) to other teens, then perhaps they're deleting these members simply as a safety precaution.

One way to verify a teen is really a teen and not a 45 year old pervert trying to lure in other teens, is to see that they have teen friends on their page that they know from real life.

That's my thought anyway ;) .

I've found phone numbers, snail mail addresses and email addresses.

This DOES seem very fishy that someone else can't find the same.

ETA: Ah, I misunderstood. Earlier in the thread OP said she couldn't find any contact info, then said that she had to "look very hard to find it", then said that she has emailed them, but they havn't yet responded. I guess I didn't need to google after all.

And,....Shutterbug has a good point and one that has been made earlier in this thread. IF this is actually happening then it is about protection, not about randomly "discriminating" against poor homeschoolers.

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

I've found phone numbers, snail mail addresses and email addresses.

This DOES seem very fishy that someone else can't find the same.

ETA: Ah, I misunderstood. Earlier in the thread OP said she couldn't find any contact info, then said that she had to "look very hard to find it", then said that she has emailed them, but they havn't yet responded. I guess I didn't need to google after all.

And,....Shutterbug has a good point and one that has been made earlier in this thread. IF this is actually happening then it is about protection, not about randomly "discriminating" against poor homeschoolers.

Really? Phone numbers?? Where?? You are possibly the ONLY person that has found that info--------in the world!

Again----why are you trying to make this an argument in which I am wrong, setting up a hoax or crying wolf?? This is a legitimate problem with FB and well documented I have found out.

In fact----if you have found all of this helpful info so easily that I have had one heck of a time finding----post the phone # and snail mail address right here---right now for all of us to have.

"Poor homeschoolrs"? WTH?

What the heck are you talking about?! Just try and click any of those on the google search you mention! FB provides NO discernable way to contact them from those pages---

I've done this. I "tried and clicked on the links" and got usable information.

Information has been provided to you. You are getting EXTREMELY worked up over FACEBOOK and calling it discrimination.

I don't know why you aren't seeing the same information I have found. Odd.

really? Phone numbers?? Where?? You are possibly the only person that has found that info--------in the world!

Again----why are you trying to make this an argument in which i am wrong, setting up a hoax or crying wolf?? This is a legitimate problem with fb and well documented i have found out.

In fact----if you have found all of this helpful info so easily that i have had one heck of a time finding----post the phone # and snail mail address right here---right now for all of us to have.

click on the links that have been provided in this thread! The snail mail address, phone number and email addresses are there.

(Is this just an exercise to see if I will jump through hoops?!

By Snail Mail:

Facebook, Inc

1601 S. California Ave

Palo Alto, CA 94304

By Phone:

650-543-4800

They do not offer phone support. You will get a recording with info and/or options.

Facebook is a large company. Facebook.com has over 200 Million active users so I’m sure it would be impossible to handle phone support for such a large user base or even to answer all emails. I think your best bet for most situations is probably to submit a bug report. I hope these options help!

disabled@facebook.com

appeals@facebook.com

This is what I found odd, OP, that I found all of this information on the links other pp's provided earlier in this thread. ?????

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl

I just wanted to throw it out there that just because this hasn't happened to everyone, does not mean it hasn't happened at all. Accusing the OP of fabricating is not helping, and is likely making her feel even more frustrated. Being (even indirectly) accused of lying when innocent just plain sucks. Hang in there OP. :grouphug: