Menu

Facebook DELETES homeschool kids?!

Today, my son had his FB account disabled due to the fact that he is a homeschooler! Yep, that's right. Because he has not joined some sort of high school group, FB deleted my son as my child. I guess as a homeschooler, there are special ways he can rejoin. But I am SO disgusted that not only they are doing this, but seem to be getting away with it!!!

Have any of you dealt with this?? Is this for real??? What can I/we do??

Fuming Mother Grizzly here...............grrrr

Today, my son had his FB account disabled due to the fact that he is a homeschooler! Yep, that's right. Because he has not joined some sort of high school group, FB deleted my son as my child. I guess as a homeschooler, there are special ways he can rejoin. But I am SO disgusted that not only they are doing this, but seem to be getting away with it!!!

Have any of you dealt with this?? Is this for real??? What can I/we do??

Fuming Mother Grizzly here...............grrrr

That just doesn't sound legit. Are you sure it's because he's a HOMESCHOOLER?! I've never heard of such a thing! :confused::confused:

astrid

There actually appears to be a FB page dedicated to this. ??? What I read on "Homeschoolers Unite" states that since FB couldn't verify the schools kids were reporting they deleted them. I find this hard to actually believe - I'm off to look up more.

Edited by Horton

It says his account was disabled because he was not part of a high school network! Then it went on to say that if he is a homeschooler, he could have a FB page without claiming a high school network. Really!? Then why was his account disabled for the very reason he doesn't have one?

And there ARE quite a few FB pages devoted to this discrimination! I would have contacted FB straight off----but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get ahold of them. And the 'Homeschoolers Unite!" page states that the mom did contact FB adn of course they can't give our information about someone elses page!

Yes----from what I can tell, this is true, open discrimination. Another mom at another homeschool chat board had a child deleted also today for this reason!

I say: HOMESCHOOLERS UNITE! If they are really playing this game, like a pp said, they have NO idea who they are messing with :glare:

It happened to my oldest son back in January. He'd had the account for several months, but he'd just started really using it. A polite email inquiry to fb from his email (worded by me) got an apology and reinstatement within 24 hours. Let me know and I can probably find the email we sent if you wish to copy it.

It just appears to me that they might be deleting those that have questionable information listed. If a hs'er listed their own unique name for their school and FB people couldn't verify they might assume everything was fake. FB is under a microscrope for privacy issues and this just may be one way they're trying to clean it up. I've seen many post here that their kid's FB pages are fine but they didn't list a school. I haven't really seen anything yet that says FB is against hs'ers - just that they're maybe trying to weed out those they view as questionable. I don't really understand WHY facebook would be against hs'ers.

Well, it could be bunk, except it just happened to our son! And I found this on a FB page devoted to this very thing happening!!:

Unfortunately, at this time, Facebook does not support most homeschoolnetworks. Our high school networks are based around a model ofcommunity verification. Because of their size, homeschools areinherently hard to prove an affiliation with.

However, if your homeschool provides an email address to its students, please let us know, and we will investigate the possibility of adding itas a network. These email domains are an alternate way for us to verify an affiliation with a school. You will need to email us from this school affiliated address and tell us the name and location of the homeschool.

I’m sorry if our policies on this matter present any inconvenience. Inthe future, we will consider new ways to integrate homeschools into the site. Let me know if you have an further questions. Thanks for contacting Facebook,

Chad

Customer Support

Representative

Facebook

Well, it could be bunk, except it just happened to our son! And I found this on a FB page devoted to this very thing happening!!:

Unfortunately, at this time, Facebook does not support most homeschoolnetworks. Our high school networks are based around a model ofcommunity verification. Because of their size, homeschools areinherently hard to prove an affiliation with.

However, if your homeschool provides an email address to its students, please let us know, and we will investigate the possibility of adding itas a network. These email domains are an alternate way for us to verify an affiliation with a school. You will need to email us from this school affiliated address and tell us the name and location of the homeschool.

I’m sorry if our policies on this matter present any inconvenience. Inthe future, we will consider new ways to integrate homeschools into the site. Let me know if you have an further questions. Thanks for contacting Facebook,

Chad

Customer Support

Representative

Facebook

In other words, they are weeding out suspicious *networks* and some homeschoolers got caught up in that? If your child doesn't have a school network listed, then it shouldn't be a problem?

They haven't deleted my kid. He started his FB account as a homeschooler, and two years later he still has an account.

He does go to the public HS now, but hasn't changed his account to reflect that.

I have a hard time believing that homeschooling has anything to do with deleted accounts.

Whatever! He is not going to the local public school and we have no sort of homeschool networks---I am a totally independent homeschooler! The message about his disabling was SPECIFICALLY because he had not stated a high school network and he was not verified! Then a message a little lower said something like "Are you a homeschooler?" and then had suggestions on how a homeschooler could have an account etc. , but mainly that a homeschooler does not need to claim a high school network. This sounds very much like weeding out homeschoolers to me----mainly because he has had his account for so long.

This seems to be a haphazard thing going on, as it seems random homeschoolers are weeded out. Our daughter has had her account since she was probably 16 and never claimed a high school either----and never got 'caught' as an unverified user :confused:

Chad

Customer Support

Representative

Facebook

Is this directly pasted from the email?

Whatever! He is not going to the local public school and we have no sort of homeschool networks---I am a totally independent homeschooler! The message about his disabling was SPECIFICALLY because he had not stated a high school network and he was not verified! Then a message a little lower said something like "Are you a homeschooler?" and then had suggestions on how a homeschooler could have an account etc. , but mainly that a homeschooler does not need to claim a high school network. This sounds very much like weeding out homeschoolers to me----mainly because he has had his account for so long.

This seems to be a haphazard thing going on, as it seems random homeschoolers are weeded out. Our daughter has had her account since she was probably 16 and never claimed a high school either----and never got 'caught' as an unverified user :confused:

You say here that there was no network, but the email that you pasted seems to indicate a problem with the *network*. Did he have something listed as his high school network? I could be misunderstanding, but you seem to be saying he had nothing listed, but the email seems to indicate that he did?

Is this directly pasted from the email?

You say here that there was no network, but the email that you pasted seems to indicate a problem with the *network*. Did he have something listed as his high school network? I could be misunderstanding, but you seem to be saying he had nothing listed, but the email seems to indicate that he did?

Well this is why we were so mystified! I don't think he listed any schools. He just filled in basic, mostly non-identifying information on his info page. And the email I posted came from someone else who was disabled for the same reason. I have YET found out how to email FB!!! It would have been choice #1---deal directly with company. The page that came up when he couldn't log into FB this evening was this:

Example: What is the Like button?

Disabled - NetworkExpand All

What are the requirements to join a High School network?

Only current high school students are permitted to join HS networks....

Why was my high school network removed from my account?

We determined that you do not belong in the high school network you ha...

I was pending in a HS network but now it is gone. What happened?

Facebook removes a pending high school affiliation from a user’s accou...

I’m homeschooled. How can I join?

If you are homeschooled, you can still register with Facebook.

It's just all so contradictory when it says as a homeschooler you don't have to register, but you were disabled because you didn't register :confused:

Chad

Customer Support

Representative

Facebook

Are you sure he didn't get hacked? Or encounter some sort of virus?

This just doesn't seem to be legit-- too many grammatical errors, etc. It just doesn't seem to add up to me. Something's fishy, IMHO.

astrid

The page that came up when he couldn't log into FB this evening was this:

Example: What is the Like button?

Disabled - NetworkExpand All

Only current high school students are permitted to join HS networks....

We determined that you do not belong in the high school network you ha...

Facebook removes a pending high school affiliation from a user’s accou...

If you are homeschooled, you can still register with Facebook.

It's just all so contradictory when it says as a homeschooler you don't have to register, but you were disabled because you didn't register :confused:

Are you sure he didn't get hacked?

That's my guess as well.

A few months ago I logged on to FB and instead of my page I was directed to a page that was written completely in Swedish. The worst part was the horrid design and color. Is there any reason a hacker cannot use better design principals?! :tongue_smilie:

(once I cleared my cache and temp files I was able to return to my FB page)

Are you sure he didn't get hacked? Or encounter some sort of virus?

This just doesn't seem to be legit-- too many grammatical errors, etc. It just doesn't seem to add up to me. Something's fishy, IMHO.

astrid

Of course that could be a possibility. Here is the page he got when he couldn't log in:

Only current high school students are permitted to join HS networks. Users must be currently enrolled at the high school network listed on their accounts.

/help/?faq=1570

Was this answer helpful?

We determined that you do not belong in the high school network you had listed on your profile, and as a result, we removed this network from your account. Joining a high school network for a school you do not currently attend is a violation of our Terms of Use. This policy is in place to protect the safety and security of our younger users. You may now join your proper high school network, or continue to use the site without a school network. If you attempt to join another network for a school you do not attend, your account may be permanently disabled.

/help/?faq=13620

Was this answer helpful?

Facebook removes a pending high school affiliation from a user’s account when they have not successfully confirmed that they attend this school within 60 days of adding the network. A pending high school affiliation can also be removed if Facebook determines that the user is not a part of the network with which they wish to affiliate. This policy is in place to protect the safety and security of our younger users. You may now join your proper high school network, or continue to use the site without a school network.

/help/?faq=13621

Was this answer helpful?

If you are homeschooled, you can still register with Facebook. You do not need to specify a high school when registering with Facebook or using the site.

/help/?faq=1571

Was this answer helpful?

He had NO high school network designated! I was the one who helped him sign up simply to keep in touch with extended family. It was suggested at another site that perhaps I shouldn't complain because this high school network verification process helps keep pedophiles away. Really?! Wow---what a concept! "Pedophile nabbed because high school network not verified!!!" Not. All they had to do was look at his page and contacts and the comments from family to see that he is a real live 15 yo and not a pedophile.

One can be deleted due to inactivity. I think it might be 30 days. Not that *I* would know anything about that, as I check my FB daily. ;)However, accounts are deleted automatically when there is no activity for a certain period of time.

The same thing happened to one of my sons. His page got deleted. :glare:We never found out why. No reason, no emails sent to him on why....just deleted with no reason.

:glare::glare:

Holly

One can be deleted due to inactivity. I think it might be 30 days. Not that *I* would know anything about that, as I check my FB daily. ;)However, accounts are deleted automatically when there is no activity for a certain period of time.
I have gone more than 30 days before and not been deleted. How strange...

Couldn't the parent's email address -- a parent with Facebook -- suffice for this? I would be one of my kid's friends anyway.

Chad

Customer Support

Representative

Facebook

I have to say it's rather funny that the OP's situation is being questioned even though she has clearly included the email from Facebook and linked to others who have had this happen. Others on this board have even mentioned it happening, and yet I still get the feeling that many who have not had this happen to their kids believe that since it hasn't happened to their kids, it cannot be real. :confused:

I have to say it's rather funny that the OP's situation is being questioned even though she has clearly included the email from Facebook and linked to others who have had this happen. Others on this board have even mentioned it happening, and yet I still get the feeling that many who have not had this happen to their kids believe that since it hasn't happened to their kids, it cannot be real. :confused:

If you are referring to ME, I'd like to point out that I did not question the OP's situation, I simply suggested that it didn't sound like something generated by Facebook, and that it sounded (to me) like some sort of hacking scheme. Having been hacked myself recently, it's something that comes to mind quickly. You know--- like the emails supposedly from Bank of America stating that your account has been closed?

But whatever. Call me what you like.

astrid

I'm not thinking of any one person -- I cannot even remember the names of the people posting, it's just that no one said anything like, "Really? Tell me more."

If you are referring to ME, I'd like to point out that I did not question the OP's situation, I simply suggested that it didn't sound like something generated by Facebook, and that it sounded (to me) like some sort of hacking scheme. Having been hacked myself recently, it's something that comes to mind quickly. You know--- like the emails supposedly from Bank of America stating that your account has been closed?

But whatever. Call me what you like.

astrid

I'm not thinking of any one person -- I cannot even remember the names of the people posting, it's just that no one said anything like, "Really? Tell me more."

Actually, Calico Cat said "Hmmm.....and used the "big ear" smiley, indicating she was waiting to hear more. As others weighed in, the OP continued to post new information. There wasn't much of a need to ask for more info, I didn't think. Links were posted, portions of email exchanges were submitted as proof, etc. Didn't seem to be a dearth of information, nor a dearth of sympathy for the OP's situation.

But then again, I"m probably misreading it.

astrid

That is total bunk.

Astrid---how about this one? I don't think you are being singled out at all! A few posts have sounded very skeptical, which is also surprising. But I assure everyone this is not made up, FB IS doing this randomly and it is a VERY sneaky tactic to mess with/discriminate against homeschoolers. I have read enough since last night and this morning to deduce this :glare:

I am going to get to the bottom of this. I highly doubt the high school network system is used to nab pedophiles. And just the last few days, I have seen 2 separate fake FB accounts. AND, just ran across this this morning STILL trying to find a way to contact FB:

http://www.contacthelp.com/directory/Internet/Web+Sites/Facebook?ListingID=324

Apparently---LOTS of issues with not being able to contact them for problems.

This just happened to my dd, i just emailed Facebook and they reinstated her. They apologized and said it was a computer glitch. It took a few days but we have not had any troubles since.

Sheri

SOO---this inquiring mind really wants to know how you emailed them??? :confused:

Today, my son had his FB account disabled due to the fact that he is a homeschooler!

Not true. My dd16 goes to school and also was deleted for not being in a high school group. She emailed them about it and they restored her. It has absolutely nothing to due with being homeschooled. FB has been having some glitches recently.

Tara

Not true. My dd16 goes to school and also was deleted for not being in a high school group. She emailed them about it and they restored her. It has absolutely nothing to due with being homeschooled. FB has been having some glitches recently.

Tara

But think about it----account is disabled because high school network is not verifiable. But if you are a homeschooler, you don't need to list a high school network.........:confused: To me this is underhanded discrimination because those that don't list a high school network are more than likely homeschoolers...I mean WHO is doing all the 'verifying' of high school networks? If there weren't numerous FB pages already devoted to this in addition to the other numerous complaints against FB on just one site I looked at this morning----I' might' consider it a harmless, inadvertent 'glitch'.

But think about it----account is disabled because high school network is not verifiable. But if you are a homeschooler, you don't need to list a high school network.........:confused: To me this is underhanded discrimination because those that don't list a high school network are more than likely homeschoolers...I mean WHO is doing all the 'verifying' of high school networks? If there weren't numerous FB pages already devoted to this in addition to the other numerous complaints against FB on just one site I looked at this morning----I' might' consider it a harmless, inadvertent 'glitch'.

I guess if you want to see it as discrimination against homeschoolers you can, but I think it has been explained several times in this thread why FB is doing what they are doing (trying to deal with unverifiable accounts), and they are not targeting homeschoolers specifically. You may not like what they are doing or agree with it, and it may pose problems for homeschoolers, but calling is discrimination is a bit far-fetched to me. And it posed a problem for my dd, who is in school, so I simply can't see at "homeschool discrimination."

My dd emailed them about it, and within a few hours her account was restored. I just don't see this as something to make a big deal about. I guess we disagree.

Tara

They did it to my daughter too. I just emailed them from her account and was able to get it reinstated. It isn't because they are homeschoolers as much as they just don't belong to any social group. Since there isn't one for homeschoolers then you could say it is because they are homeschoolers. They aren't setting out to take down homeschoolers though. FB was just originally started as a social networking group for college kids.

How in the world would they "determine" what students attend what high schools?

I think you have to be "sponsored" by someone currently in the high school network. It may be you need more than one other person saying you're legit.

For college networks, I think you need an email address from that college.

FWIW, my daughter was getting friend requests from someone who claimed they were homeschooled (this being the explanation for why he wasn't in a high school network), but his whole page looked fishy. And he was only friending girls. And a lot of the girls were accepting his request because they thought *maybe* he was friends with someone they knew. So I could maybe see how fb (if they were paying attention, which I'm not convinced they are) might be concerned about people posing as high school kids who are claiming to be homeschooled. It does look like it might be an avenue for weirdos to get in and start finding info about kids.