Menu

Facebook Hi-jack virus?

I apparently have a facebook hi-jack virus. I can go to any site I have in my favorites, my homepage and most addresses that I type into the address bar but when I do a search or click on a link it sends me to some random page. I have Norton and a few other protections that seem to have failed. I didn't click on any suspicious links or go to any questionable sites.

One time I was directed to a site that came up with a Norton warning as being a bad site. It would not let me close that window so I had to use control, alt, delete to get rid of it. I also got a warning that it I had the facebook hi-jack virus but it would not let me fix it. Then I ran a Norton scan and it said everything was fine when it obviously is not. It will not let me go to Malwarebytes which is what I normally use.

How bad is this and how hard is it going to be to fix? What do I need to do? Suggestions? Directions? Help?

Oh yes, BTDT it is horrible, I had it once on my laptop and twice my desktop got it.

What I did to get rid of it was shut my computer down (the regular way) and then open it in safe mode with networking. (hit F8 as soon as you turn the computer back on, sometimes it takes more than once to get to the safe mode option screen. Just turn it off again and start over)

Then when you are in safe mode click on your Malwarebytes icon and go to the updates tab. When you have updated you can run a quick scan and it should find the trojan and contain it the way it normally does.

Good luck, this has been a VERY nasty virus!

This sounds like a super bad virus that my mother in law also had to deal with. It was a virus/trojan that blocked all access to programs that could get rid of it! Urgh!

You might try using RKill to turn the virus off and then run Malwarebytes right away without restarting your computer to get rid of the virus.

I can't find the exact forum right now that helped us get rid of it, but it was similar to this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Another thing to consider, if you still can't get to malwarebytes, is to google "Malwarebytes random name". The virus my m-i-l had blocked malewarebytes, but we got around that by downloading & running malewarebytes under a different name.

HTH!

Oh yes, BTDT it is horrible, I had it once on my laptop and twice my desktop got it.

What I did to get rid of it was shut my computer down (the regular way) and then open it in safe mode with networking. (hit F8 as soon as you turn the computer back on, sometimes it takes more than once to get to the safe mode option screen. Just turn it off again and start over)

Then when you are in safe mode click on your Malwarebytes icon and go to the updates tab. When you have updated you can run a quick scan and it should find the trojan and contain it the way it normally does.

Good luck, this has been a VERY nasty virus!

My hubby did this and it is running right now. I'll let you guys know the progress. I am supposed to be decluttering but I am babysitting puppy and computer instead.

I hope you are able to get this fixed.

It did take me two times to remove it from my laptop. I think I had to update Malwarbytes twice if I remember correctly. I don't remember what the virus I had was called, but it does sound like it was doing the same thing as your computer.

Good luck and if you find anything that works better, please post it because sooner or later all of us will probably need it. I know this is happening from just visiting FB because I had my desktop on and left FB open for 30 minutes or so. I was sitting on the couch and watched my desktop being taken over, no one was near it but suddenly things just started popping up and then the screen went black. SCARY stuff! I no longer log into ANY site and walk away.