Menu

? for those of you who have experienced a miscarriage

I have a blighted ovum. I mentioned it a few days ago. Since about 7pm last night I have been experiencing cramping and lower back pain. The pain is consistent with the only brief experience of labor I have ever had. It rings my body in waves. Now for those of you who know me, I am not unfamiliar with miscarriages. I am however, unfamiliar with painful miscarriages. I have not started to bleed, but it really hurts and the only way I feel better is to lie down. Of course, that doesn't totally help, but it is better than standing or sitting.

Is it normal to have this kind of pain without the bleeding? Will it start soon? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm so sorry you are going through this -- one of my miscarriages was due to a blighted ovum........coincidentally it too was on Labor Day Weekend many years ago.

The pain (to me - and I have a high pain threshold) was WORSE than labor. There was a pattern to labor pain........the pain from that miscarriage started out like bad gas pains, and then just became unrelenting. As the pain became unbearable, the bleeding began and we went to the hospital. I don't want to alarm you, but I had alot of bleeding. I had a D&C almost immediately after arriving at the hospital and I was kept there for 3 days (this was back in the old days -- before 'treat 'em and street 'em). I had hemorraghed after dd#1 had been born just 5 mos prior to the blighted ovum miscarriage so the doctor was being cautious (bless his heart).

I had alot of cramping and pain with another subsequent miscarriage, but did not bleed. The cramping lasted about 24 hours. About two weeks later, I had a D&C.

Again, I'm so sorry - :grouphug:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I have a blighted ovum. I mentioned it a few days ago. Since about 7pm last night I have been experiencing cramping and lower back pain. The pain is consistent with the only brief experience of labor I have ever had. It rings my body in waves. Now for those of you who know me, I am not unfamiliar with miscarriages. I am however, unfamiliar with painful miscarriages. I have not started to bleed, but it really hurts and the only way I feel better is to lie down. Of course, that doesn't totally help, but it is better than standing or sitting.

Is it normal to have this kind of pain without the bleeding? Will it start soon? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Out of my three miscarriages, only one was painful. I agree with Mariann about the pain being worse than labor. I did begin bleeding within a few hours of the onset of the worst pain though. If you are in that kind of pain for very long without starting to bleed, I would probably head to the doctor. At the very least, they can give you something stronger to help with the pain than what you can get OTC. The only thing that worked for me was to get in the bath. I think I stayed in the bath all day, just running more hot water as needed.

I am so sorry. It's such a heartbreaking loss, no matter how it comes. :grouphug:

hmmm, ok. I did hemorrage with the last one, but am not normally a heavy bleeder, ever so they told me not to worry unless I became symptomatic (sp?) See the pain very much comes and goes. It hasn't become constant but it is much like you described. I haven't taken anything in the unlikely event that it was just too early to tell. If bleeding starts then I will, b/c then I will know for sure. (even though I am pretty sure already) Gah, I do not have time for this right now.

Thanks for your kinds thoughts.

I am so sorry to both of you. :grouphug:

I've had three miscarriages and they were all different. One of them started with AWFUL cramping, like what you describe. It was SO bad. About two days later, I started bleeding. I never bled heavily and was able to miscarry on my own.

Again, I'm so sorry you're going through this. The time surrounding my miscarriages were some of the darkest times of my life.

I have lost one baby, although technically it was a still-birth. We knew the baby had died (found out during our mid-term u/s) and I was scheduled for a d&c the following day.

The night before my d&c, I started having heavy cramping, followed immediately by heavy bleeding. We called the doctor (I was soaking a pad in about 15 minutes). We were told to go to the hospital immediately.

My last, final, pregnancy, not too far along -- maybe 9 weeks, ended in miscarriage. Yes, it hurt worse than labor, which I've successfully done 7 times. There was no bleeding, for the first day. The next day, pain was much worse and I did eventually start bleeding. Fortunately the miscarriage was complete (at the hospital) and I didn't have to have a d&c. Miscarriages are nothing to fool around with, for sure, since you could start hemorrhaging.

Please contact your doctor. :grouphug: I've had three miscarriages.

I went with a D&C for each of my miscarriages except the very earliest of them (less than a week after a positive pregnancy test). It was easier, pain free, took less than five minutes and I knew the miscarriage was complete. If you haven't started bleeding by Tuesday, you might want to check with your doctor.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I m/c at 12 weeks. My doctor gave me percocet to deal with the pain. The medicine made me extremely ill. So I don't know if my pain was from the actual m/c or from the medicine. All I can remember from that time is the extreme pain, both physically and emotionally.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

M/C at 12 weeks. Started just like labor, from the breaking of water to the hard cramps, I had the cold sweats. Lots of bleeding. I did not want a d&c but I did call the doc just to see what the acceptable rate of blood loss would be. I cannot remember what exactly she told me as a guide, but I remained within that limit and did not have to go to the hospital.

I hope for you that this will go quickly. The knowing it's going to happen but having to wait until it does... I think that's really, really difficult.

:( I'm so sorry. M/c are awful. Mine took a bit, but everything was 'ok' in the end. I didn't want a d & c. It started slowly and was very mild for a day or so, even with the bleeding. After about 24 hours, it picked up and was quite uncomfortable. It was over fairly quickly at that point...maybe another couple of days or so of hard cramping.

Take it easy. It's a physical and emotional stress. :(

Edited by LibraryLover

I have had one miscarriage in 2004. Mine started with spotting/no pain on Saturday am, more bleeding/mild cramping Saturday pm, more bleeding by Sunday with continued mild cramping, and then Monday I was bleeding severely and felt like I was in labor. I had a D&C that Wednesday.

I am so very sorry that you going through this nightmare. God bless you. :grouphug:

I've had two miscarriages. The first one they sent me home to see if I could "do it" on my own. I ended up with horrible cramps and heavy bleeding and had to go for a D&C. The second time I didn't want to be sent home and "be brave" and insisted on a D&C. I mention this because the first time I bled so much that I was weak by the time the docs decided on a D&C and took me ages to recover. I guess my advice would be not to wait until you are bleeding all over the place because it makes recovery time longer and more painful.