Menu

photographic memory...

but with things she "hears" not with things she "sees".

I am first time homeschooling my 2 dd, ages 10 and 7.

I think my 7 year old had perfect recall of the things she hears... We are doing SL core 3 with both girls and the 7 year old can recall back anything i read during the read-a-louds....Like, seriously, spooky recalling ability. Even the 10 year old has noticed this.

she can descibe in her own words too when I ask 'thinking' questions so i can tell she is comprehending the material as well. I wasn't sure at first b/c she would be playing on the floor with the dolls (and I thought she was barely paying attention) but would then be able to recall dates and specific drescpitions from the reading.

Anyone else have experience with this and WHAT do I do (if anything) with this knowledge?

Robin in NJ

I have a dd, aged 14 now, exactly like this. When she had a neuropsychological evaluation at age eleven, she remembered 81 of 82 discrete elements from a longish story read to her as part of the testing. The neuropsych just about fell out of her chair. Even now, my dd can sit listening to a book on CD while reading another to herself, looking up to chime in when the CD gets to one of her favorite lines. I have no idea how she can manage this.

Two things: first, take advantage of that memory! Audiobooks have played an enormous part in our homeschooling, as have read-alouds... incessant, never-ending read-alouds. I still read to her as this is the best way to get material in and remembered, and I read not just fiction but also science, history, magazine articles, news, etc. It's slower, but it all stays. And I'm not going for an efficiency record anyway, but for understanding and long-term memory.

It's possible that her auditory gifts may also extend to music, so be sure to explore that area as well. My daughter thought she'd died and gone to heaven when she discovered musicals -- words AND music together, in story form.

Second: As I learned from our neuropsychological evaluation, a child can have this amazing memory but still be struggle with categorizing learning or finding patterns through which to store new material as subjects get more complex and the child gets older (middle schoolish age). Your child may have no problems whatever, but mine combined the auditory memory with some difficulties in this area. She was so used to relying on her complete recall that she hadn't yet learned now to sort and store information -- it's as though everything, EVERYTHING, got saved in a big pile. Eventually this becomes unwieldy.

Because her auditory memory is such a huge strength, your child will have a tremendous advantage with lecture-type education when she's older. On the other hand, she may struggle with other forms of input: kinesthetic, visual. Make sure when she reaches middle or high school age that she can read silently, take notes or outline a text, read graphs and charts and maps and other forms of visual information. If she struggles, teach her how to verbalize under her breath while figuring out new material, so that she "hears" herself reading the material.

And -- I speak from experience -- watch what you say within earshot! It's incredible what kids like this pick up, apparently through walls or across parking lots! And they won't ever forget it.

Similar experience here with my older son. It doesn't necessarily translate to other things as Karen mentioned.

That said, as she said, audiobooks here are huge. Story of the World was practically memorized that way. My son likes audio books before bed. He also watches a lot of documentaries, and has taken classes where he's pretty much memorized the lectures. He listens to podcasts while he builds legos.

He's very asynchronous though. His general knowledge is like an adult's, but not his other skills.

He also loves music. One regret I have is that I wish I'd done more with music when he was younger, and gotten him taking piano earlier.

, teach her how to verbalize under her breath while figuring out new material, so that she "hears" herself reading the material.

And -- I speak from experience -- watch what you say within earshot! It's incredible what kids like this pick up, apparently through walls or across parking lots! And they won't ever forget it.

She already does this muttering to herself (since she was able to talk). I had noo idea these were related!!! The other kids at school made fun of her for that. I will let her read your thread and show her that is PERFECTLY OK to do that.

She NEVER forgets what I say....It's ummmm annoying to say the least:glare::lol:

Also, she has just started piano. 2 lessons so far.

robin in NJ

My 8yo dd is like this as well. She never forgets what she hears. I have to watch what I say around her and never make empty threats or promises. We first noticed when she was a baby and memorized books word for word and song words and tunes. When she was 4yo and reciting and singing the entire Phantom of the Opera movie, it was pretty impressive.

She has used this skill to her advantage with music...learning violin pieces and fiddle tunes after hearing them a few times...once or twice if she especially likes them or is interested in who's performing them. It used to be quite shocking to her violin teacher when she fooled around with excerpts of complicated pieces she heard the teacher's teenage dd play once but we are used to her now. The only one who still appears shocked at her "stunts" is her newer fiddle teacher but he's learning, too.

Like a pp mentioned with listening and reading books, dd can play a piece of music while listening to someone play harmony or another part at the same time then play back what she just heard. It's almost like they have dual track recording in their brains.

Edited by Donna

I have a near eidetic auditory memory, and can literally remember whole books if triggered (I can't always recall it consciously, but if someone reads the first line, I can go from there). It got me in trouble quite a few times in ps, because if the teacher would give the same wording the textbook used in a test question, I could easily write down the textbook, almost word for word.

I also "hear" as I read, even if I read silently. I remember people's voices not their faces.

It's probably not surprising that I became a musician. It's also why I don't do much composition, as opposed to arranging. I'm a good arranger, but because I remember so much, I'm also very, very adept at plagiarizing without ever realizing I'm doing it.

Even now, my dd can sit listening to a book on CD while reading another to herself, looking up to chime in when the CD gets to one of her favorite lines. I have no idea how she can manage this.
Oh, my goodness. My DS does that, too. Drives me nuts. But I'm sure it isn't much different than me watching the news while reading a book and being able to recall both.

Ex: The other day I was reading a poem about geography to DS. He was bouncing around and had his back to me 1/2 the time. I was so frustrated that I put up the book and said, "That's it. I'm not reading to the back of your head anymore!" He said, "But I'm paying attention," then he recited the entire poem back perfectly even though it was the first time he had ever heard it. I asked him some questions, to see if he had actually comprehended what I read and not just spouting back the words. Nope. He got the meaning.

That night, I was telling the story to DH in a low whisper while DS was a room away. DS came into the room we were in and said, "Dad. I was paying attention," then he went into great detail to explain the picture that was on the page. :glare: And he nailed every little detail.

DS and I both have strong audio (and visual) memories. I didn't realize it until I was in college, then tried to 'teach' myself how to use it to my advantage. I am trying to show DS *now* how to use that skill to his benefit.

I do really need to add more audio books/stories in our schooling. I have been debating getting DS an iPod so he can listen while we walk on our gym's indoor track.

We did put DS into music lessons early, as he seemed to have a strong talent in this area. I am thankful every single day that he is taking formal music lessons. I stressed over how to include music in our school when I am not musical and DS is quite musical.

well, my son has VERY good auditory memory, as well as near perfect pitch.....I don't know if he could recite whole chapter books from memory, and he sometimes has a hard time summarizing/analyzing. We incorporate lots of auditory stuff with school....sotw audios and the like. It *is* spooky sometimes....the kid can spiel stuff like nobody's business. Songs, funny stories he's heard, all manner of things. Lots of Wierd Al songs ;ob. When he was about 9, he got the part of Michael in Peter Pan.....he could literally recite the entire play - all the parts. It was actually very funny, & I wish I could have gotten him to do it as a monologue and I'd video it...he does all the voices too. Ya know...to a certain extent you just go with it. It's useful for some things, but not everything. See how she does with music. Make sure to balance with visual stuff as well. My son has a MUCH harder time recalling things he reads, so I have to keep tabs on that. I don't think you need to *do* anything with the knowledge at this point, but it could be a clue to other related areas of giftedness that you might keep an eye out for. Enjoy the spookiness.

Don't ever have a fight in front of her or with her. You won't win, because she'll repeat every single word back to you, where you'll only have the "gist" of what you said.

It's maddening.

And don't bother buying DVDs - she won't want to watch them again, as she'll remember all of the dialogue. Just rent.

We're all messed up in this family - ds is auditory eidetic, I'm visual eidetic - no one communicates, LOL.

a

(oh, except for faces - I'm lousy with faces - it's an Aspie by-product)

thanks for all the comments. dd piano teacher today mentioned (without me saying anything) that he 'thinks' she might have perfect pitch. hmmmm. I wouldn't have KNOWN this little tidbit of info was even CLOSELY related if it weren't for you guys..... He said now my problem is, with a child with perfect pitch, my piece of crap piano will make HER nutty.:glare:

Robin in NJ

Ha! I knew it! ....and yeah, the piano might make her nutty, OR, she might get the wrong notes in her head from it. Something to think about. But perfect pitch is certainly not the be all end all. Having a good sense of relative pitch (intervals) is just as useful. My ds's piano teacher said that she's been in situations where someone with "perfect pitch" was just downright obnoxious about it with those around her..choir situation, I think. I've made sure to NOT make a big deal of it with my son. He knows it, and does sometimes drive his sisters batty (imagine having your little brother mad at you because you are singing a song in "X" key, when he knows that the "original"...from the cd, or the actual musical or whatever....is in "Y" key. Oy.), but I try to make sure he keeps it in perspective. Something he is good at, but lots of others are also iykwim. "And your sister's are allowed to sing songs in different keys, OK????" grrr. I had a good friend who, when ds was very young was fascinated that he could correctly sing any note she threw out to him. Every time we'd be at her house, someone would say "Hey Ben sing _____". I had to tell her to please not do that any more. Anyway, you have some fun times ahead with your dd. Enjoy them. Sounds like she is already enjoying music. As I said before, enjoy the "spooky" times as well as the not so spooky :o). My personal favorite spooky moment with ds was when we were driving back home late at night after having performed in Peter Pan. He was maybe 9 years old. It was quiet, and he was quietly singing the "Once upon a time and long ago...." song to himself. He paused, and said sort of to himself very matter-of-factly "thats in A flat.......but I could sing it in G...". I just sort of looked at him and said "ummm...ok...". He was just so *himself* in that moment :o). It was very sweet. Enjoy all of *your* dd's sweet spooky moments :o).

wow Donna, your dd sounds just like my ds! Only he plays piano :). I totally know what you mean about dual track brains. ds has been able to hear and reproduce 4-6 note chords since he was very small. I still don't know how someone *does* that. But yeah, his piano teacher doesn't let him get away with stuff just because he has a good ear. She kicks his bottom regularly and makes him learn his scales, use the metronome, play slow, sightread, pay attention..and all those other things he hates doing :). Gotta love it.

wow Donna, your dd sounds just like my ds! Only he plays piano :). I totally know what you mean about dual track brains. ds has been able to hear and reproduce 4-6 note chords since he was very small. I still don't know how someone *does* that. But yeah, his piano teacher doesn't let him get away with stuff just because he has a good ear. She kicks his bottom regularly and makes him learn his scales, use the metronome, play slow, sightread, pay attention..and all those other things he hates doing :). Gotta love it.

Yes, dd's violin teacher is the same way and is wonderful. She also works very hard with dd on technique, scales, sightreading, etc... Paying attention is a big one...since playing comes so easily to her so often her brain will be somewhere else while she is practicing or in lessons...though that is improving with age and maturity.

Perfect pitch--watch the kids with it, please! I've got it, and if people are out of tune I get a horrible headache. It's not something you'd necessarily think of, but if your kid is coming out of choir or band in a really bad mood, even though they love the activity, do please see if that's why. I don't remember how old I was before I was able to explain why, though I loved orchestra and choir, I was always grumpy when rehearsal ended, but it certainly wasn't in my early childhood.

The whole 'sing this note' game--it can get to be annoying, but it was good fun for a while around sixteen with some choir friends. You might want to research the difference between the two tuning scales, equal and just, as well. I think in just, which means, among other things, that I tune to specific keys and cannot tune a piano.

Berkeley does a lot of research on music neurology if you're interested in pursuing the subject. Those of us with perfect pitch have 'misshapen' brains. :D

Perfect pitch--watch the kids with it, please! I've got it, and if people are out of tune I get a horrible headache. It's not something you'd necessarily think of, but if your kid is coming out of choir or band in a really bad mood, even though they love the activity, do please see if that's why. I don't remember how old I was before I was able to explain why, though I loved orchestra and choir, I was always grumpy when rehearsal ended, but it certainly wasn't in my early childhood.

The whole 'sing this note' game--it can get to be annoying, but it was good fun for a while around sixteen with some choir friends. You might want to research the difference between the two tuning scales, equal and just, as well. I think in just, which means, among other things, that I tune to specific keys and cannot tune a piano.

Berkeley does a lot of research on music neurology if you're interested in pursuing the subject. Those of us with perfect pitch have 'misshapen' brains. :D

My son can't stand to be in a band (he's a piper). They all run around with tuners, making sure "everyone is tuned properly". It drives him nuts. He goes into a corner, blows his pipes, makes a couple of adjustments, and is tuned.

He said to me yesterday "I don't know what the big deal is - that is how _____ taught me to do it." I laughed. I had to inform him that his old teacher had perfect pitch, too.

He's doomed to a solo career...

a