Menu

Home from church today and bored. What to do?

I am home from church, not because I am sick but because I have a paper to write for my counseling class. I just sat here and surfed the web and read a few chapters of a free-read book (not for class). It's been nice and quiet.

Sounds interesting. What's the paper about? (If you don't mind my being nosey out of bored curiosity. ;)

You are already doing it LOL....surfing the boards! Aside from that, I'd probably digital scrapbook or organize my pictures into folders on my computer.

Heh...yep, surfing boards and playing Bejeweled Blitz over on Facebook and trying not to feel pathetic.

Read blogs--have you caught up with Ree at Pioneer Woman lately? :D

Do you have Netflix instant Wii watch thingy? (What a description...) I saw some movies in bits and pieces yesterday.

So there you have reading, but not book reading, and TV watching, but not TV-tv. LOL

I love your description of the Wii thingy. Yes, we have one, do you have any recommendations for instant watch movies? (Non R-rated)

Yes, we have one, do you have any recommendations for instant watch movies? (Non R-rated)

Oh, not too much--we don't have cable TV, so sometimes we watch Say Yes to the Dress (and dd promises not to be a whiny bride, and I promise to give her a budget...and let her use it any way she wants! lol).

I liked Food, Inc., esp in light of the chicken/egg stuff in the news now.

Movie-wise--Just saw Places in The Heart.

Well, in this class we are studying the integration of psychology, theology and spirituality in counseling so it's somewhat interesting. I really can't wait to start writing my personal theory paper, that one I will have fun with.

That does make it sound a lot more interesting. :) Can you sum up your personal theory in one paragraph or so? (I don't want to make you write your paper in advance here, but I like to hear what other people think about such things.)

I'd sit down with a really good book and something nice to nibble on...finally, uninterrupted reading time! Or else I'd sew.

All of that would normally appeal to me, but doesn't sound fun today. Which is partly why I feel a little at loose ends.

Oh, not too much--we don't have cable TV, so sometimes we watch Say Yes to the Dress (and dd promises not to be a whiny bride, and I promise to give her a budget...and let her use it any way she wants! lol).

I liked Food, Inc., esp in light of the chicken/egg stuff in the news now.

Movie-wise--Just saw Places in The Heart.

I'm picturing you and your daughter...hee hee....

Thanks, all for keeping me company. I flopped down on my bed for a few minutes to think about what to do, and woke up three hours later feeling drugged. My stomach is feeling better, but now I feel kind of weak and my teeth keep chattering for no apparent reason. I'm glad we're not planning to do school tomorrow. My 13 year old might have had to be the teacher.

That does make it sound a lot more interesting. :) Can you sum up your personal theory in one paragraph or so? (I don't want to make you write your paper in advance here, but I like to hear what other people think about such things.)

Well, I am just now starting to really think about this but I will give it a shot. I believe that I want to be able to integrate scripture, biblical theology and psychology into my counseling practice. I would take psychological theories and put them under the filter of scriptural truth to see if they line up with theology and my Christian worldview. All of psychology isn't evil, but it is built about human thinking, which is fallible and sinful, so it's not all good either. Christian counselors can use parts of psychological theories as part of their practice as long as the truth of scripture isn't compromised.

That would be it in a small nutshell.

Well, I am just now starting to really think about this but I will give it a shot. I believe that I want to be able to integrate scripture, biblical theology and psychology into my counseling practice. I would take psychological theories and put them under the filter of scriptural truth to see if they line up with theology and my Christian worldview. All of psychology isn't evil, but it is built about human thinking, which is fallible and sinful, so it's not all good either. Christian counselors can use parts of psychological theories as part of their practice as long as the truth of scripture isn't compromised.

That would be it in a small nutshell.

That sounds like a good approach for Christian counselling. Would you give potential clients some kind of statement of beliefs before they began counselling so that they could decide whether they were going to be comfortable with your interpretation of scripture?

That sounds like a good approach for Christian counselling. Would you give potential clients some kind of statement of beliefs before they began counselling so that they could decide whether they were going to be comfortable with your interpretation of scripture?

Yes. But, I would have to say that my interpretation comes from hearing from the Lord, not my own natural mind. We don't always like what the Bible says, but it's truth and sometimes truth hurts and makes us squirm. All my clients will be given the option of me not using prayer and scripture in counseling but inevitably my beliefs are going to leak through because you can't split me and expect me not to live what I believe.

Yes. But, I would have to say that my interpretation comes from hearing from the Lord, not my own natural mind. We don't always like what the Bible says, but it's truth and sometimes truth hurts and makes us squirm. All my clients will be given the option of me not using prayer and scripture in counseling but inevitably my beliefs are going to leak through because you can't split me and expect me not to live what I believe.

Oh yes, I understand. It's just that different people seem to hear the Lord differently, and if I were looking for a counselor I would want one who hears more or less what I hear from the Lord. IYKWIM. I agree with you, though, that sometimes that's not what we WANT to hear, and I would not want a counselor who just told me whatever he or she thought I wanted to hear, I would want to be told truths that would actually help, even if they made me uncomfortable. I just wouldn't want to get bogged down in arguing theology when I was needing (and paying for) help with my marriage, or kids, or addiction, or whatever, so I would probably avoid seeing a counselor who infused the counseling with a belief system that was significantly different from my own. I respect you for letting people know up front where you would be coming from. I agree that you can't split counselors and make them operate independently from their personal convictions about how life works--and is "supposed to" work. I am always skeptical of counselors who claim completel neutrality. I'd rather have one who is aware of, and admits to his/her personal biases.