Menu

Scouting Parents (or others) -- have your dc taken Red Cross classes?

Some background -- ds is a second year Webelos scout. We love our pack, but last year the Webelos II did not get much first aid training. That is another subject....

And I see that requirements for the Cub Scout Emergency Preparedness Award include taking a Red Cross Basic Aid Training class or (for Webelos) any Red Cross first aid class.

So I am wondering if anyone has gone this route (either for Boy or Cub Scouts)? The Red Crosses near me have classes called 'Standard First Aid' (3 hours) -- I can't find any 'Basic' classes.

I could use some enlightenment (anything would be helpful!) about these classes.

Thanks!!

My teens have all done the Red Cross course. The girls to get Sailing Instructor certificates & ds for Life Guard.

It seems the Standard is the basic class w/CPR being additional. Call them and check, plus you may be able to arrange a class for the whole troop.

In our area, this training is available at the council level - call your council office and ask them when the next training will be. It will be several hours long - maybe all day on a Saturday or two Saturday mornings. Several troops will participate together. You may want to wait until he's a Boy Scout though, that way he'll be able to earn the BSA Red Cross trained designation and the Eagle required First Aid merit badge.

While it is nice to get a Cub Scout award, he will get more out of it personally and from a Scouting point of view if you wait until he is a little older.

First aid certification is now doable online for those w/o one available...the only thing is they've broken it down so you have to spend more time/$$$ to get the same certification you got in the past...I would spend 4 hours and get certified in it all..now you spend 3-4 and only get certified in infant/child CPR..you have to do another 4 hours for adult...

Most scouts don't do this, they offer opp's for you to sign up, but it's too much time to commit for a whole troop....

HTH!

Tara

I have one son who is a first year Boy Scout, and another one that is a second year Webelo.

They had a first aid instructor come and teach a class to the 1st and 2nd year Webelos last year...and I think they do it every other year to make sure and catch all the kids.

My older son is also having to take additional first aid/CPR courses in Boy Scouts.

Some background -- ds is a second year Webelos scout. We love our pack, but last year the Webelos II did not get much first aid training. That is another subject....

And I see that requirements for the Cub Scout Emergency Preparedness Award include taking a Red Cross Basic Aid Training class or (for Webelos) any Red Cross first aid class.

So I am wondering if anyone has gone this route (either for Boy or Cub Scouts)? The Red Crosses near me have classes called 'Standard First Aid' (3 hours) -- I can't find any 'Basic' classes.

I could use some enlightenment (anything would be helpful!) about these classes.

Thanks!!

My kids are not scouts but my oldest 4 have all taken Red Cross cert. classes. The oldest 3 all did the Babysitting/ basic child safety with infant and child CPR. (We were having babies and I thought it would be good for them to have that before we let them babysit for extended periods (3-4 hours) of time.

They all are Red Cross Cert. lifeguards (or were ...oldest allowed her cert to expire...)

They all have CPR, AED, First Aid and my 2nd dd has emergency first aid and Water Safety Instructor. Younger ds did a Water Safety Instructor helper cert. to qualify to help teach swim lessons under a WSI.

I love the classes. I love that my children have had such good experiences taking them and feel empowered in an emergency...should one arise...and they have...

DD was first on a scene when she witnessed a car accident and was able to stablize a victim until the medics arrived. She was able to administer oxygen and because of her, the Mom and baby were safe and suffered minimal trauma post accident.

DS was teaching lessons at the Y when a very large (over 350 lb.) woman had a siezure. His training helped him to move quickly and get the woman out of the pool and on the side to be stablized before the ambulance arrived.

These are just 2 of the "saves" my children have been prepared for through the Red Cross. I am so proud of them!

Faithe

I love the classes. I love that my children have had such good experiences taking them and feel empowered in an emergency...should one arise...and they have...Faithe

Faithe

Actually what you said about making dc empowered in an emergency expresses what I feel better than what I said. Granted my dc are younger than yours, so I not expecting any rescues.... Ds had some first aid last year as prep for Klondike, but I would like him to get a bit more than the minimum that he needs for Readyman.

My son, aged 12 at the time, got the best test scores and did the "lab" work at the level of all the adult participants. I sat in the Red Cross lobby all day, except when the regional director pulled me into her office to ask me a lot of really good questions related to the work my son was doing.

That said, the classes did not fully satisfy the BOY SCOUT first aid merit badge requirements, and so there was more work to do to accomplish that. I am not complaining; I am thankful!

The class was good, and although my son was the only "kid", the instructor and the other participants were all great to him.

That is really nice to hear. I can hardly wait to call the Red Cross on Tuesday.

In our area, this training is available at the council level - call your council office and ask them when the next training will be. It will be several hours long - maybe all day on a Saturday or two Saturday mornings. Several troops will participate together. You may want to wait until he's a Boy Scout though, that way he'll be able to earn the BSA Red Cross trained designation and the Eagle required First Aid merit badge.

While it is nice to get a Cub Scout award, he will get more out of it personally and from a Scouting point of view if you wait until he is a little older.

Alas, I have never seen any mention of training on any of out Council/District websites or got any emails about it. When I checked last year, there was none. BTW, ds is not looking for the award, I was just curious about the BAT (Basic Aid Training) mentioned in the award write up.

Thanks for all the replies so far -- I will keep checking the thread, in case anyone has more ideas.