Menu

When did your child get braces????

DS14 got his when he was 13. He is due to get them off here soon (18mos in braces).

Some things they fix earlier with braces. DS14 needed his bite fixed and a couple of teeth that were overlapped in the front to straighten out. The ortho wanted to wait until his last set of molars came in for anchors. It has turned out well, but DS14 will be VERY VERY gald to get rid of the braces!

My three oldest got theirs on at 12. My dd will get them on in a couple of months at 13, and my youngest daughter got her first go round at 8. She will have to have them again at around 13. She had bite problems that were more complicated than the other kids.

Edited by MamaT
added something

Ds: on at 10 years 6 months, off at 14 years 2 months. The teeth were straightened quickly, the time was spent waiting for the upper canines to descend...

Dd15: on at 10 years 11 months, off at 12 years 6 months. Her teeth cooperated.

My kids got their baby teeth EARLY so their adult teeth came in early, thus they were ready for braces early.

Dd the youngest has a dentist appointment in a few weeks. I'm thinking she'll get the "go see the ortho" discussion then.

Our dd is 9 and will be getting them this year. She's Asian and has a small mouth. Her front teeth are very bucked. She's already had 4 baby teeth pulled to make room for her permanent teeth, and needs more pulled. We'll probably also have to pull a few permanent teeth. She's getting an expander next week, then braces. Then we'll have another set of braces in 4 years or so. DD6 is following in her footprints. She's Asian too. Asians have small mouths and big teeth. We'll be putting at LEAST 12k in their mouths. Without insurance. Then college, Then weddings. UGH

A lot of orthos do braces in two phases, so that kids have braces at 10yo for maybe 1-2 years and then again at 14yo for another year.

My oldest didn't need braces at all.

My middle has some crowding on the bottom, but the dentist said that it wouldn't affect her bite and is actually about what most people end up with several years after the braces come off.

My youngest has had 9 baby teeth pulled and could still end up with 2 adult teeth pulled (although the ortho is trying to fit them all in). She got her braces at 11.5yo. She will probably have the braces for 2-2.5 years and then she'll need retainers. She may also end up with orthognathic surgery, but if that's the case, the braces will stay on until at least 14yo because she would need to still have the braces on for the surgery.

In my dd's case, the braces had to be put on before all her adult teeth came in because her mouth didn't have enough room. Also, the crossbite was wearing grooves in her teeth.

My 9yo had them put on two months ago. I think the when depends on the why. My dd had serious crowding issues. Braces now will give her more room for the rest of her permanent teeth. They're actually stretching her jaw to fit the teeth instead of waiting for the teeth to come in then trying to rearrange them.

I'm very wary of orthodontists...I have had three opinions...finally going with the third b/c he made the most conservative approach...my daughter has a higher upper palate...bottom teeth are fine, but they want to put braces on those too...just to help them line up once they get the uppers where they want them...

What is so aggravating is that the fancy newer ortho's...have all the fun 'draws' for the kids...a big party with candy/popcorn and an 8x10 that gets taken at the end...all for a whopping $5500....they didn't even take the 2-3 weeks it takes to work up a plan and magically had a price....funny, I took my son whose teeth are very straight and have plenty of room into the same ortho the year before and he only needed half the time but you guessed it his fee would also be $5500....hmmm...

then the second ortho also gave me a price close, $5300...he gave me a scare approach, threatening my daughter with invasive oral surgery if she did not have the braces immediately...he made the comment, "She's already 14 and you haven't done this before now??"....She had JUST turned 12 but is tall for her age, and I told him she's only 12...he backed off a little...I was appalled he would say things like that in front of her...

Both these 'new' doctors wanted to file teeth on top/bottom to get that (my terms only) "Barbie" smile...they shave off mm of enamel to get that uniform look....huh??? Since when is enamel expendable for aesthetics????

Luckily, I found an older ortho, his fancy office has long been paid for, he doesn't throw a big candy party at the end or have 8x10 glossies all over his walls (I noticed at the first office that the not so perfect teeth were on the very bottom next to the floor....nice) and he does not agree with filing the teeth on my daughter, he said it's not necessary....and his cost?? $2800!!! My insurance pays $1500...I've found many who've used him for years...and he's using the same approach the other 2 were using....it just unnerves me how aesthetically perfect orthodontistry has become...it's like walking into a plastic surgeon's office....

I prefer people to have a smile that fits them, not one that looks like every news anchor in LA...sorry, too many ortho visits has me touchy on this subject!

Tara

I took my dd to lots of orthos before we decided on this one. All the other orthos wanted to pull the last 4 baby teeth (which are actually loose right now and my dd was instructed to wiggle them as much as she could stand) and pull 4-6 adult teeth along with doing 2-3 years in braces and another 2-3 years in retainers with headgear.

The ortho we went with is 45 minutes away at nontraffic times, but the dentist recommended him because he thought that my dd needed no more than 2 adult teeth pulled rather than the 4-6 that the other orthos were telling me. He was pretty sure that this ortho would give us a more conservative plan and that it would be better for dd's mouth.

I haven't read all the responses, but I just wanted to give my personal experience...

I was a thumb sucker from birth and got my braces at age 7. I had a SEVERE overbite and could hardly chew...so it was necessary.

I kept those dadburned things until I was 10.

THEN I was too stubborn to wear my retainer, so I got them AGAIN at the ripe old age of 13. My parents were NOT happy. :glare:

3 of my kiddos have lost front teeth. My 9yo has nice, straight teeth, my 6yo has a LARGE gap between the front two, and my 5yo hasn't grown her perma-teeth in yet (she knocked them out on a table edge when she was 4). I can predict braces for the younger 2. :) :(

I would agree with the 2nd response I read...if it is based on need, I agree with bracing them younger than "normal".

My dd13 is getting hers on this week. My ds11 doesn't need them for another year or so (according to both a private orthodontist and the orthodontist at the dental school).

I've been taking them in every year since they were 8 and the orthodontists didn't think they needed anything until now.

FWIW, if you have a dental school near you, it can be a good bit less expensive. The private orthodontists here are all around $5200 (magic number, lol) but at the dental school it's $3150 total for the orthodontics + retainer at the end (that's paying up front. It's $3500 if you make payments.) The only other expense was the initial workup which was $300. The residents might take a bit more time than a private orthodontist, but they work very carefully and are overseen every step of the way by the professors. . .

My dd had a removable plate at age 8 for a year or 2 (can't remember how long) and it prevented her from needing braces later.

Ds14 just got his braces on a few weeks ago, but he has always been very late to "teeth" etc and they had to watif roa few things to happen first.

I'm very wary of orthodontists...I have had three opinions...finally going with the third b/c he made the most conservative approach...my daughter has a higher upper palate...bottom teeth are fine, but they want to put braces on those too...just to help them line up once they get the uppers where they want them...

What is so aggravating is that the fancy newer ortho's...have all the fun 'draws' for the kids...a big party with candy/popcorn and an 8x10 that gets taken at the end...all for a whopping $5500....they didn't even take the 2-3 weeks it takes to work up a plan and magically had a price....funny, I took my son whose teeth are very straight and have plenty of room into the same ortho the year before and he only needed half the time but you guessed it his fee would also be $5500....hmmm...

then the second ortho also gave me a price close, $5300...he gave me a scare approach, threatening my daughter with invasive oral surgery if she did not have the braces immediately...he made the comment, "She's already 14 and you haven't done this before now??"....She had JUST turned 12 but is tall for her age, and I told him she's only 12...he backed off a little...I was appalled he would say things like that in front of her...

Both these 'new' doctors wanted to file teeth on top/bottom to get that (my terms only) "Barbie" smile...they shave off mm of enamel to get that uniform look....huh??? Since when is enamel expendable for aesthetics????

Luckily, I found an older ortho, his fancy office has long been paid for, he doesn't throw a big candy party at the end or have 8x10 glossies all over his walls (I noticed at the first office that the not so perfect teeth were on the very bottom next to the floor....nice) and he does not agree with filing the teeth on my daughter, he said it's not necessary....and his cost?? $2800!!! My insurance pays $1500...I've found many who've used him for years...and he's using the same approach the other 2 were using....it just unnerves me how aesthetically perfect orthodontistry has become...it's like walking into a plastic surgeon's office....

I prefer people to have a smile that fits them, not one that looks like every news anchor in LA...sorry, too many ortho visits has me touchy on this subject!

Tara

I did not appreciate the hard sell from our then-dentist (who had a referral agreement with an local orthodontist). She declared that she was urging me "as a mother" to "think about [my] child's social life." Dd did need braces (and had them put on a year ago, by a different orthodontist), but her case was not extreme, and it bothered me immensely that the dentist would make her case in those terms. (We have a new dentist now.)

it seems that all my dd(10) friends are getting braces...

This seems REALLY young to me....I thought it was more in the neighborhood of age 13...

Am I totally out of the loop on this??

Robin

Robin,

We are currently starting the process. Word of caution: be very careful here. Each orthodontist has their own philosophy it seems. This mid-end of summer I scheduled a "free" consult with 3 orthodontists after asking around and "polling" for suggestions.

I'm soooo glad I did this.

Ortho 1: not impressed much

Ortho 2: most impressed, until

Ortho 3: winner...it was in backwards order. The last one was the best fit for us.

The common thread they all spoke of was:

1. How many baby teeth are left to fall out

2. Are there teeth up there to replace the baby teeth

Some Orthos will do the 2 stage.....stage 1 due to the baby teeth and stage 2 to further complete the process. We didn't want to spend the extra $ for unnecessary work and the time. The Orthos said that our dd is "ready" now to go into braces b/c she has most of her adult teeth in. One ortho wants to "pull" 2 teeth to make room. NOT interested in this.

The winning ortho is opting to use the headgear to "pull" her jaw into place to make room for the braces, etc. The headgear will be worn approx 1 year and needs to be on a minimum of 10-12 hours @ day. This time may be fulfilled at night which is great.

I would highly recommend calling ortho offices and ask if they give free consults. Only 1 place wanted to charge and I didn't even pursue it from that. I went only with free consults. Also, make sure the x-rays are free. All of the orthos wanted to take x-rays. I explained that ortho 1 took them. It's unhealthy to get multiple ones so close together so 2 and 3 didn't take them.

We'll be starting any time now.

Check with your insurance too.

We have metlife dental. If we start braces and my husband loses his job, quits, takes another job then the insurance coverage with new coverage would kick in and the dental contract may be obsolete b/c it was with another company/insurance plan/ins. company.

HTH! Sheryl <><

My oldest got his on for phase 1 when he was 11. He had a cross bite that was going to cause permanent damage to his other teeth so they took care of that right away. But it took forever to be ready for phase II. My boys take forever to lose their teeth and get their permanent teeth. He got them back on again at 14. My 2nd son got his on at 14. The ortho would have loved to put them on sooner, but those darn permanent teeth would not cooperate.

Heehee. This has been a hot topic around here lately. SIL wants to get braces for their 10 yo, and BIL says no. I agree with BIL. I see a lot of orthodontists making a lot of money off of having kiddos in work for 6-8 years instead of 2-3. We are holding off for my 14 and 12 yo dd for a bit more. I've seen too many people spend a lot of money only to have the teeth shift a lot later. Also, I am not worried about my dd needing to have their braces off before high school so that their dating life or self esteem isn't harmed.

I understand that some dc have extreme cases and need several series of work, but every single mom I know seems to have been told her dc need years of work starting at 8 or 9 yo. :glare:

After doing a bunch of research, listening to many personal accounts, and giving it lots and LOTS of thought, both dds will be starting the process soon, beginning with expanders. :crying: They are 7 and 8.

They got their father's narrow mouth. He had an expander at about 11, followed by braces. I wish they had gotten my mouth. It's so large, I never even had to have my wisdom teeth removed. I got braces at 13.

One dd has my overbite. The other has dh's cross bite.

12yo ds will probably get standard straightening braces in the next year or so. That will be 3 kids with orthodontia bills at the same time. :crying::crying::crying:

Both of mine had braces put on around the age of twelve; off by the time they turned fourteen.

Dd had to have some initial work done when she was six due to an underbite. She had a palate expander and headgear for about a year. The braces were put on after she lost her baby teeth. The ortho said basically any time after that we could go ahead with braces.

Want to make the point for waiting until they are 12...two families who even got them at 12...had this happen..

First family's daughter just got them off after 29 months...guess what, her wisdom teeth are coming in at such an odd angle that now they're saying she'll need to have braces put on AGAIN for 6 months to keep them from messing up her bite!! HUH??

Second family..he's 15 now (had them on for over 30 months) and was supposed to get them off, but his 12 year molars are just NOW coming in and they're at bad angles so they need to use the braces to help pull them in straight...he's looking at another 6 months...

the main thing is palates start to harden around 14-15....so if you need to expand a palate, do it around 12-13, then wait and see about the braces, I just really think orthodontics has become more about appearance than a good bite...my son has just the right overbite and spacing, but the ortho was trying to convince us to get it done for a better 'look'...I about flipped...I can't stand that dentures smile that everyone seemed to get in his practice..they ALL looked the same!! It was like the Stepford Teeth.

Tara

My oldest had a set when he was 7 because he had a cross bite. He was chipping his top teeth with his bottom teeth. He now has his second set. He got them at 13 and will wear them until he's 15. No teeth pulled. $5000.

My second is currently seeing an ortho, but they're waiting until he loses more teeth to do anything. We're hoping he can wait until ds1 comes out of braces!!

Our Ortho would not do a full set of braces before all adult teeth had started to come in, after all baby teeth had come out. To do it before that seems a complete waste of money. There are phase 1 braces that are for the front 4 teeth in younger (8-10) children, but that doesn't guarantee not needing a full set later on.

We did the palatal expander for our then-8yo ds so there would be room as the remaining adult teeth came in. Our oldest had full braces put on at 12yo since all of her baby teeth had fallen out and most of her adult teeth were fully grown in.

Heehee. This has been a hot topic around here lately. SIL wants to get braces for their 10 yo, and BIL says no. I agree with BIL. I see a lot of orthodontists making a lot of money off of having kiddos in work for 6-8 years instead of 2-3. We are holding off for my 14 and 12 yo dd for a bit more. I've seen too many people spend a lot of money only to have the teeth shift a lot later. Also, I am not worried about my dd needing to have their braces off before high school so that their dating life or self esteem isn't harmed.

I understand that some dc have extreme cases and need several series of work, but every single mom I know seems to have been told her dc need years of work starting at 8 or 9 yo. :glare:

This is kinda how i feel....

robin in NJ

Dd got hers a couple of months before she turned 14 - for cosmetic reasons - and will have them on for 2 years. So far, only the top are done (all for one crooked top eye tooth :glare:). The bottoms will be put on another time (maybe in a few months) since that crookedness is a quicker fix. She has the clear braces on top and will have the silver ones on the bottom.

dd was 8. However, her braces were part of an expander. I think for the expander to work you have to be still growing. She had them for about 8 months. I believe this is also called "stage 1". Her top teeth now look perfect and when she talks and smiles that's all people see.

She's 12 now and her pediatric dentist is suggesting braces for her bottom teeth now because of crowding. I have to admit I took a look at her last appointment and they were crowded and overlapping. So, we will think about whether we want to get "stage 2" for this problem. Our current ped dentist is also an orthodontist (not the ortho who did dd's first braces). He thinks it's a good idea, but he's not pushy about it. So, I need to do some research and find time to consult him to get an idea of the negative outcomes for not getting stage 2.

Younger dd got hers at 10. They will be taken off in a few months, after she's 12 probably. I am so happy we did it. I was also concerned that she was too young. But we lucked out and got an awesome orthodontist! He brought her jaw forward without having to do surgery, or even use the springs. (She's been really good about wearing her elastics!)

As an aside, just so ALL of us home school moms can feel proud, this is what he said to me:

"Home school kids usually do much better with braces because home school moms are on them about it much more consistently." :001_smile:

My DS got his last July (almost 13). They had been recommended for a few years, but he had horrible dental hygeine and still had baby teeth - so now way!

We waited until he had all of his adult teeth, and then waited until the dentist thought he was brushing well enough.

We then got 3 free evaluations - went with the 2nd one. 18-24 months, $5000.

Ds 12 needs them as well - but he still has quite a few baby teeth, so we're waiting....

My son got them at 11- almost 12 and will have them another 2 years or so in them. We had a few things to fix. My dd got them at just turned 9 and will be out of them in about 6 more months for round 1. She will get them back on in about 18 months for another 2 years or so. It really depends on what has to be done.

My 14 yo hasn't gotten braces because she doesn't want them and I'm not going to force her. However, we did see two orthos when she was 11 yo. She has moderate crowding and a moderate overbite. The first ortho wanted to get braces on her immediately, seemed to think it was urgent, $6500, 42 months. The second one recommended waiting until she got all her permanent teeth and said there would be no harm other than cosmetic if she elects not to have braces. The laidback one was much younger than the other guy. I figured the older one has kids in college. :D

Oldest dd, 13, for 1.5 years. The orthodontist said that by waiting the kids are more mature and take better care of their teeth - which can be difficult with braces.

My second daughter had an expander for 1 year when she was nine - that's off now and we'll wait on braces until about 13.

My husband got braces at 35. I used to call it his second childhood!

I'm new here but I thought I'd add my 2cents. My dc don't have braces yet but I did from 10-12 yo - I'm kinda disillusioned!

My bite (at 40) changes everyday, my teeth shift around a great deal - like sometimes I think my 2 front teeth are going to separate to leave a gap, and I apparently have the "common bone loss in my jaws due to braces" :confused: WHAT? nobody told me about that perk. For me as an adult 30 years later, I'm seriously questioning the whole orthodontia route. I'm not sorry I had the work done because I had quite an overbite and I'm not against fixing teeth but the quest for the perfect bite = dental health well... I'm not so sure.

We'll be carefully considering our plans as the needs arise, maybe letting our dc help make the decision after discussing pros and cons or something. It's encouraging to me that my fil just got braces at 60+ for a severe bite problem he's lived with all his life, and they seem to be working great!

Don't know if that 's helpful in the least :)

My ds had braces and head gear last year when he was 8. His situation is a bit different as he has 9 spots that do not have any adult teeth. So the orthodontist has him in braces now to correct an overbite and something else (it escapes me at the moment) because we want his teeth to be in good shape until we decide what we are going to do about his missing teeth. These decisions won't be made until he is well in his teens.

DD got full braces at 12.5, but she had a few braces and a quad helix at age 8. She has a bite problem and they were trying to correct it early and straighten just a few teeth. The bite was continually getting worse as she got older so we had to do the full thing this time. And guess what??? Ds has permanent teeth coming in and it looks like he'll have the same problem. UUUGGGHHHHH!!!