Menu

Any ladies here under 5' tall?

My older daughter will be 15 in 2 weeks. She is now 4'9" (at most) and hasnt' grown in over a year and her feet have been the same size for almost 2 years now. She has had her cycle for over a year and has a womanly figure so likely she is done growing height wise.

She has seen a peds. endocrinologist for years and is on thyroid supplements but her bone age, etc. just showed she was likely to be 4'10" at most.

I was just wondering if there are any other ladies or teens here that are under 5' tall. If so, where do you find clothes that fit well? She can wear a girls size 12 for jeans in most styles but shirts are hard as she has girl size arms (meaning short) but a B cup bra. We need cute but modest clothes.

She likely will never drive due to her disability so that is not a concern---she would never see over the dash and has only just been over 90 pounds.

Any other hints from shorter women as to daily life?

To make matters worse (or just more noticeable) we live in an area where the general population is at least in the 75% or more. We have many women in our small church over 6' tall and I am "short" at 5'5" tall in our area. Most men are over 6' tall and one at church is even over 7' tall.

I am not under 5 feet tall, but I am 5 feet 2 inches. I know those two inches make a lot of difference sometimes, but...

Some things I have discovered:

1. A good step stool is a must.

2. Asking for help reaching the top shelf in the store isn't the end of the world.

3. Petite sized clothes help with fit, but nothing is perfect. Capri length is often good enough to be long pants and then you don't need to get them hemmed.

4. Standing on the stairs when saying goodbye to someone means you are at their height!

5. Buy a bike based on how it fits, not on how old you are. (I have a large children's bike instead of an adult women's bike. My feet couldn't touch otherwise.)

6. Watch out for cabinet doors that are left open. It really hurts if you stand up underneath them.

7. Use a stool to reach to the bottom of the washer/dryer/freezer.

8. Most people are really okay with letting you stand in front of them at an event. They can see over your head.

9. High heels only look good if you can walk in them. (I can't.)

10. Many short men like short women.

I hope that helps.

I think you will need to make friends with a good tailor. My sister is 5' tall when she wears 3 inch heels. Pants - she tries on alot of pairs and figures she will need to have them hemmed. Blouses - she generally buys from the petite women's and may still need them altered. A good seamstress can narrow arms and reset shoulders if needed.

Just a note - my sis ends up paying more for her clothes than I do - even not including tailoring costs. High quality clothes look better after being altered than cheap junk.

I am exactly 5'0 and weighed 92 lbs before I had my kids. I always bought my pants in the girls department. I just tried to find the least adorned jeans as possible. I've also had luck buying jeans at The Buckle.

Smaller shirts can be found at Aeropostale, Hollister, American Eagle, etc. I've also have good luck with Express brand shirts.

I am not under 5 feet tall, but I am 5 feet 2 inches. I know those two inches make a lot of difference sometimes, but...

Some things I have discovered:

1. A good step stool is a must.

2. Asking for help reaching the top shelf in the store isn't the end of the world.

3. Petite sized clothes help with fit, but nothing is perfect. Capri length is often good enough to be long pants and then you don't need to get them hemmed.

4. Standing on the stairs when saying goodbye to someone means you are at their height!

5. Buy a bike based on how it fits, not on how old you are. (I have a large children's bike instead of an adult women's bike. My feet couldn't touch otherwise.)

6. Watch out for cabinet doors that are left open. It really hurts if you stand up underneath them.

7. Use a stool to reach to the bottom of the washer/dryer/freezer.

8. Most people are really okay with letting you stand in front of them at an event. They can see over your head.

9. High heels only look good if you can walk in them. (I can't.)

10. Many short men like short women.

I hope that helps.

I love this list! Thanks for posting it!:001_smile:

I'm *not quite* 5ft tall. I'm probably only an inch taller than your dd, and I can drive just fine (don't ask the dh though:tongue_smilie:). My biggest problem driving is fear of the airbags if we were to get into a crash. I do have to sit fairly close to the steering wheel and it kinda makes my skin crawl to think about it...

I find that most homes are built with tall people in mind...bathroom mirrors so high I can only see my forehead and nose, kitchen counters at my chest rather than belly-button which means back strain if I work there too long, and even the little peep holes are too high for me to see out of. Most of that is just annoying.

How does your dd feel about learning to sew? That would be a useful hobby for her. I find that even petites are often too long. ditto to the poster who mentioned wearing capri's as pants. When I was younger, I made the "I'm too little for my clothes look" look good...sleeves down your hands was in and so were grungy pant legs dragging the floor. It worked out well in the 90's.:tongue_smilie: The biggest problem is fitting in the waist and shoulders though and that is not easily fixed...thus my sewing hobby. I wear a lot of polo shirts. Dresses are almost impossible to buy, so I wear a lot of skirts & blouses/sweaters when I want to dress up.

I am 4'11" and was 98 lbs when I became pregnant with dd... 4 kids later, not so much. :001_huh:

Jeans have always been the most difficult clothing item to find, and this year I found TWO styles that actually fit me well and I don't have to roll up. Woo hoo! One is Aura by Wrangler and the other is Lee Riders. Both come in petite sizes. I got the Auras at a VP outlet and the Riders at WalMart for $10 each. Double woo hoo!

A big plus is being able to buy shoes in the girls' department. I have often found the exact same shoes in the kids' section as in the women's but for half the price!

As for shirts and skirts, thrift stores are wonderful. They are often high quality clothes that people give away because they shrank them slightly in the wash. Women's mediums and smalls often fit me perfectly. Also, the junior department (if you can find tops with sufficient cloth :glare:) frequently have tops that are stylish and properly proportioned.

Good step stools are a must. We have step stools in pretty much every room in the house. I also have reorganized my house to make it easier for me to reach things. Dishes are kept in a lower cabinet because it killed my back and ankles to stretch up there 3 times a day... plus it made it easier to for the kids to reach to help set the table.

I disable air bags in the car. They were not designed for people under 5' tall. I look for older, bigger models with highly adjustable seats and nice, solid framing. (I love my Suburban!) The smaller the car, the less the chance I can safely drive it and the less safe I feel. My dh has an older model Toyota, and I can't see well over the dash, even propped on a firm pillow. :tongue_smilie:

I'm 4' 10". My sister is just a hair under that and our mom is 5 even. We all drive just fine except for having to sit very close which is dangerous with an airbag. You can buy pedal extensions, but none of us ever have. We shop the petite dept, hem, and wear capris. A step stool is a must for the kitchen and my mom uses a "grabber" sometimes. I have been known to climb the shelves in a store if no one is around to ask for help. All my ceiling fans have extra-long chains.

*sigh*

I am 4' 10.5" and have been since early high school. I always tell doctor's offices to "round at will." Find someone who can alter pants-she's going to need them! Shirts she should be fine in the junior's departments of most stores. Even after having kids (I'm a C cup, D if I'm nursing) I still get most of my shirts in juniors/misses. Old Navy and Gap tend to fit well and easy to find modest clothing at. I was thin until kids (92-96 pounds) and am now a little more rounded at the corners (but less than 115). :D I still shop Old Navy and Gap. Target clothing rarely fits.

When driving, a lot depends on the car. Electric seats (8 way) are MUCH better (manual slides are horrible for me) and generally I'm fine driving those vehicles. If I must drive a low sedan with a manual seat, I find something like one of these: Amazon link to padded cushions for cars. My stepdad had an early 90s manual transmission, no bells & whistles 2 door sedan that was nearly impossible for me to drive because I just couldn't see no matter how many cushions I had. I've since owned/driven regularly Toyotas, Hondas, a Plymouth, a Saab and occasionally have to use a cushion but otherwise I'm fine. When in the passenger seat of my husband's pickup truck we do turn the airbag off, though because the owner's manual states that if the person is less than 4' 11" you should. So maybe it's that way with other vehicles?

Anyway, hope this helps and let her know she's definitely NOT alone!

I am not under 5' but many of the women in my family are. One thing they have always done is to look for classic styles in nice brands, then have them altered. They last a long time and help to offset the altering expense. There are some stores that alter for free or for very little extra expense, you just have to ask.

Here Nordstroms, and Macy's both have alterations for free or under $10/item. Look for stores that sell men's/women's suits...they typically have an alterations person on staff. They nice thing about having them done at the store is that if the alterations person makes an error, they get a replacement and alter it for free.

Your dd and my mom sound about the same and if my mom can drive, so can your dd (unless there is something else).

I am 4'11" and I totally forget about it. I mean, my height is talked about because it's kind of funny but really, it's just a thing like having blond or brown hair - just shop accordingly.

ETA: I don't find it necessary to shop in children's department or juniors.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

My closest friend from childhood is 4'10" (maybe in shoes) and 85lbs (fully clothed). She has had 3 children and drives. The only time she has weighed over 100lbs was pregnant. With three kids and breast feeding her books have shrunk, but in high school she was a full C cup. She is probably a B now.

Anyway, I think she pretty much just buys her clothes in the children's department... including her shoes. Fortunately for her (and unfortunately for many little girls) children's clothes often look just like adult clothes these days.

HTH-

Mandy

My aunt is 4'10". She comes from a family of shorter women. She drives. I think she has a sort of seat cushion custom fit to the back of the seat so she sits further up and her legs/feet can reach the pedals and has a car with an adjustable steering wheel. I'm sure she keeps the driver front air bag turned off. Her husband is 6'2". Their girls are around 5'4" each and their son taller - maybe 5'10". Other than the difficulty getting in her upper cupboards :) she has never minded her height. She learned to tailor her own clothing and is very good at it. She will also tailor formal wear for other family members when needed.

It is so encouraging to hear from all you short people. :) I am 5'3" so I am not quite as small but all my girls are very short. I have a 12 year old who is about 4'6" right now and so I doubt she will be over 4'11". She is so self conscious about it poor thing. My almost 7 year old is super tiny too. I 'think' she is about 43" tall. We are just shorties.

I'm 4'11.5", but I say I'm 5' if asked. You adapt. The only 2 things that bother me really are having to try on everything I buy. I've never ever found the perfect pair of jeans and I go through yoga pants quickly. The jeans that I like look awful at the bottoms, but I'm too lazy to have them tailored. The 2nd annoying thing is going dancing with my husband. He's 6' and we look ridiculous. Heels make it slightly better, but then I'm more worried about staying upright.

I'm just under 5", very curvy (I'm not quite Dolly Parton, but I'm a C cup, which on a 5" frame looks much bigger than it does on a taller woman), and Dillards is my best friend. They've got a good petites department and also do alterations. Like many have said, capris and 3/4 length sleeve shirts often require very little to work. I also live in skirts, which tend to be more forgiving on length.

A big plus on being short-it's VERY easy to find knee-length shorts!

Thanks for all of the input. My dd will likely never drive as she has rare mitochondrial disorders and has a mental impairment and other health issues that go with it. My 13dd has 2 of the same disorders (older daughter has 3) but is about 4'10 now and might grow just a bit more. She might drive in the future, etc.

I figure that my older dd will always be the one to get the really cute shoes in size 5 75% off at the stores because no one else can wear them. She can also fit in girls size 3-4 depending on the shoes.

Bras are harder to find as we need a 30 A or 30 B depending on the bra but yet I want it to COVER what a bra is supposed to cover and not be a plunging, minimal coverage thing.

THankfully jeans have not been a big issue at this point as she doesn't have big hips so the girls size 12 fit much of the time. She also has some shorts/capris in size 0 or 2 that work. t shirts aren't too bad but the dressier shirts (even in the girls sizes) seem to have very long arms with a tight but short body to them.

I"m 4'7" or in my heels I'm 4'8". When I was in my 20's I probably weighed about mid 90's. I'm hovering at 100 these days. I don't discuss chest size on internet, but let's just say after 3 children who were nursed..... I don't fit in kids shirts. :lol:

I drive. So why can't a 15 y.o who is taller than me drive?

:confused: I drive a Mazda minivan. I also drive my dh's 1995 Cavalier. Lots of cars will have adjustable seating these days. And sometimes, I use a Boppy pillow to sit on when driving my dh's car just because it is comfy.

And you know what else? Have you ever watched Pit Boss? (TV reality show where this guy named Shorty who is a "little person" runs a pit bull rescue center among other things).... well, they drive and they are shorter than me.

If you would otherwise teach your daughter to drive, teach her! (edit to add: I posted that before you mentioned the other medical issues.. so ignore that part, but it might apply to others needing the encouragement. that's a different issue. but it wasn't there when I was typing... I'm sorry)

clothing:

I found that I can get jeans at places like Target and Justice in the 10 plus size: those are designed for shorter legs. But I'm in my 40's so I don't care where I get jeans.

Business casual: I've been happy with ColdWater Creek recently. There were some 4petites slacks that were designed to be hitting mid calf length that came to my ankles and look great. The skirts in petite there look fine.

I sometimes get stuff from Target, or clearance rack at Kohl's in the women's petite.

My 15 y.o is only 4'11". barely 90 pounds. (hurray! she's taller than me) she strongly prefers very modest clothing with modern style. She likes Target right now and does the layer look. She gets a tank and wears it backwards for more coverage and then a short sleeve shirt over that. Tee shirts and maybe a jacket.

I just got to the point where I go with 3/4 length sleeve tops, or roll up the sleeves a bit.

I know it's hard to be this short. I remember hating it as a teen girl. It really turns out ok though. I have 3 children, very natural deliveries.

oh, wait. shoe sizes: ugh! the good thing is that lots of places like Payless have "larger children's sizes" in shoes these days where the styles are "in". As I aged, my feet finally swelled enough that I am able to fit into a woman's size 5 at Payless in heels. I generally wear children's size 3 in athletic shoes.

hang in there. Yep. step stool is good for kitchen. and just being willing to learn to ask for help on stuff. I'm in my 40's and hate climbing to reach stuff, so I learned to just ask random person in the aisle "excuse me, would you get that for me." But I was never brave enough in my teens, 20's or 30's.

breakfast is ready.....

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

I didn't put it in the first post but my dd is mentally impaired due to rare mitochondrial disorders.

Our posts crossed time on each other. I was finishing typing when you posted with extra info. My apologies for that part. I did edit my earlier post to reflect.

even though it doesn't apply to your situation, it might help others on the thread dealing with just short stuff, so I didn't edit it out.

wasn't trying to be snarky or anything.

ETA: and my youngest has autism, so I don't know if she'll even drive either. :)

-crystal

I am 4'11" and I totally forget about it. I mean, my height is talked about because it's kind of funny but really, it's just a thing like having blond or brown hair - just shop accordingly.

ETA: I don't find it necessary to shop in children's department or juniors.

:iagree:

I'm 5' 1" and being short has never really bothered me. I didn't find that it interfered with dating, the men I met never seemed to mind, and I have dated men that were a foot or so taller than me. I drive a Toyota Sienna just fine. And I never had difficulty finding clothing. There are so many places now that carry jeans and pants in short sizes- Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Victoria's Secret online, to name a few. I don't shop in children's departments. I have a kitchen step stool, or I ask my teen son or dh to get things down for me.