Menu

Black fiesta dinnerware or black walmart plates...which one?

I am looking for shiny black dinnerware for my new kitchen that is not very expensive. Today I found some at Walmart that I liked: 8 plates @ $1.75 each plus 8 saucers @ $1.25 each plus 8 bowls at $1.25 each. I also could have added 8 cups @ $1.25 each but I really didn't need cups. So I paid a total of $34. If I had added the cups it would have been $44. I looked the look but, granted, the quality was not top notch. I worry about them scratching pretty easily especially in the microwave. Many of them had little paints "dots" (like little tiny pieces of the ceramic that got painted over.) However, for that great of a price and knowing these will be used with less than gentleness for everyday use, I didn't worry about. Now I have found that I can get 8 piece settings of fiesta dinnerware in black for a total of $53.98. However, I don't know anything about the quality of fiestaware. I know a lot of people seem to use it. Does anyone have any experience with either of these dishes and can tell me if the fiesta ware would be worth the extra $?

Edited by praisefor3

I am looking for shiny black dinnerware for my new kitchen that is not very expensive. Today I found some at Walmart that I liked: 8 plates @ $1.75 each plus 8 saucers @ $1.25 each plus 8 bowls at $1.25 each. I also could have added 8 cups @ $1.25 each but I really didn't need cups. So I paid a total of $34. If I had added the cups it would have been $44. I looked the look but, granted, the quality was not top notch. I worry about them scratching pretty easily especially in the microwave. Many of them had little paints "dots" (like little tiny pieces of the ceramic that got painted over.) However, for that great of a price and knowing these will be used with less than gentleness for everyday use, I didn't worry about. Now I have found that I can get 8 piece settings of fiesta dinnerware in black for a total of $53.98. However, I don't know anything about the quality of fiestaware. I know a lot of people seem to use it. Does anyone have any experience with either of these dishes and can tell me if the fiesta ware would be worth the extra $?

Love my Fiestaware. Later if you want to jazz things up, you can get another color or two to mix with the black for a whole new look. Fiestaware is classic and doesn't change its style, so you can collect vintage pieces--or your stuff will be vintage by the time you have grandkids! It wears well and doesn't break or chip easily.

Fiestaware is made in the US. I am careful to make sure that anything that we eat off of has not been made in China. I would check the Wal-mart stuff to see if it has.

I had Fiestaware in many of the now discontinued colors 13 years ago and like a goober I sold them in a yard sale.

I dealt with having corelle for many years and about 3 months ago I dropped the who darn stack while moving things in the cabinets and they all shattered. I know they are not supposed to break but I guess if you drop enough of them all at the same time they will.

I replaced them all with Fiestaware and couldn't be happier. I bought a rainbow of colors since everyone in our family has a different favorite and now I know who didn't clear their plate. I have scarlet, tangerine, sunflower, peacock, shamrock, plum, black and white. One dinner plate, salad plate, bowl and bread and butter plate in each color. I bought mine from Zestydishes.com and I'm surprised you found such a good deal, My whole lot was right around $200.

When I bought my Fiestaware, I bought a look-alike set at Target at the same time, just for the sake of science (Which one was better?) This was 2 years ago. The look-alike set has chips, what's left of it. The Fiestaware, despite teenage dish washers and a in-a-hurry mother, is still perfect. Fiestaware wins.

I have (ignorantly) thought for a LONG time that Fiestaware=lead.

:001_huh:

I am SUPER glad to hear that that is not the case!!

I really love the look of fiestaware and I say...tally up another vote for that category.

I have spatterware serving pieces that I am not comfortable using, either. They are in the 'ol Granny Chest b/c they look so pretty. :)