Menu

Best homemade brownie recipe ever....

Okay, so I'm PMS'ing...but I'm 42, have made over 20 different recipes for homemade brownies (don't get me started on the chocolate cake recipes!) and found my keeper....I only make them about once a year, so they've got to be good!!! :) They're easy to freeze and dense! :)

2 sticks BUTTER (yes 2 sticks..)

3 cups Sugar (yes 3)

8 1 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate (yes, 8)

1 teaspon salt

1 tbspoon vanilla

5 eggs

1.5 cups flour

2 cups crushed pecans or walnuts toasted, the toasting at 375 for 5-7 minutes really makes a difference...

Preheat oven to 375...grease sides/bottoms (use crisco lard type, not butter, it has less water content) of 9x13 pan....

Melt butter/chocolate on low heat and set aside....here's the trick...with a stand mixer or hand..mix on high the eggs/sugar/vanilla for TEN minutes...yes TEN!! It whips up a luxurious batter!! Then add in the chocolate/butter mixture....using a spatula add in the flour/salt....then the nuts...pour into the pan and cook 35-40 minutes..it's as high as a cake but moist and chewy like a brownie...amazing stuff...it makes so much you could freeze them and just take out for that once a month gotta have me some chocolate fix! :)

I personally think the recipe would be interesting if you took 1 cup sugar out and added in 1 cup brown sugar...but I have so many brownies now that I'm not sure I need to make another batch for a year! :)

Enjoy!!!

Tara

I am usually a boxed brownie nut...but I'm sticking to a budget, and had all the ingredients, it makes about 3x what a box does...hoped to freeze some, but we had friends spend the night and yep, they're all gone :(

It's entirely way chocolate and way homemade...no preservatives! :) Well, I guess the Baker's chocolate may have had something in it :)

Tara

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I only had semi-sweet Baker's chocolate so I used 2.5 cups of sugar. I wondered if they would be too sweet, and almost cut back more (the sugar in the semi-sweet accounted for the 1/2 cup I didn't put it) but they were great. Definitely not to sweet for us, ages 9 to 47. :D

OMG! This pregnant lady wants some NOW! Any way to convert from baker's chocolate to cocoa powder? I'm suppose to be going to the grocery store, but Braxton Hicks are killing me today. I wonder if I can find some leftover baker's chocolate in the back of the cabinet...

One ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate = 3 tablespoons cocoa plus 1 tablespoon butter or oil.

So I would work backwards and omit the required amount of oil.

One ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate = 3 tablespoons cocoa plus 1 tablespoon butter or oil.

So I would work backwards and omit the required amount of oil.

Yes, we always use this formula to sub cocoa powder with bakers chocolate. So much cheaper! But, we always leave the original amount of butter/oil in it as well. ;)