Menu

Teaching Textbooks vs. Saxon math?

LillianinAL

With my oldest, I started out in Saxon - switched to TT 5 in 4th grade- then returned to Saxon halfway through TT5. I think the biggest difference between the 2 is the amount of work required. After doing Saxon 5/4 in 3rd, TT5 was a breath of fresh air for him. He finished the assignments quickly and easily and was very happy to do math. After 4 months, I really felt that TT was not challenging him- at all. I bought Saxon 6/5 in January of that year, and the amount of math that TT had covered compared to Saxon was very discouraging. I do think that they both review former concepts, but TT just touches on them while Saxon is a thorough review that builds on previously taught concepts. I don't mean to discourage you about TT- lots of kids use it all the way through school and do well in math - it just wasn't a good fit for us.

(I realize the levels are a little confusing- ds did Saxon 1 in K, so by 3rd grade, he was in Saxon 5/4. In 4th grade, TT4 seemed too easy, so I jumped him up to TT5.) It's possible TT5 was too easy also, but since there were some concepts he hadn't covered, I felt he really shouldn't skip to TT6.

Edited by creekmom
clarify levels

We've used Saxon since 1st grade. While my daughter loves it, we had hit a wall about 1/2 way through Saxon 65 this past year. I was planning on using TT6 until we put our kids in ps. That being said, I think they're both good programs. TT6 is more on CD with a different 'instructor' whereas Saxon usually requires some parental guidance. About half way through TT5 you might consider doing Saxon's free assessment, just to see where she'd fall if you went with Saxon. Just a thought. Honestly, though, if TT5 is working for you, "don't fix what ain't broke".

I've used both. I think learning style is a major factor with both these programs. Neither of my dc liked a computer based curriculum. It just did not work for them. Both needed the review style of Saxon too.

I don't think one is any better than the other. I think the learning style of the dc is very important though. We have IRL friends who alternate using TT and Saxon because, as a pp said, it is a breath of fresh air and change of pace.

I think Saxon has something like 180 lessons (plus or minus tests?).

TT has close to 130 lessons/tests total. It's quite possible to get through one full and one half level of TT in a typical school year. Each book/cd at the elementary level includes a lot of review from prior levels.

Our family schools 42 weeks per year or 210 days. I round that down to 200 for days lost to illness or just because. 200 days minus 130 lessons equals 70 days left over to begin the next level.

Just something to think about.