Menu

Rod and Staff Spelling 6th-8th anyone use these?

michaeljenn

I have the 6th and 7th grade book sitting in front of me. WOW, they seem very challenging. Not so much the words, but the exercises!! I am thinking about using these, but I would love to hear from others who have used the upper grades.

How did your child do?

Did you use these on grade level?

Thanks

My dd10 has just started R&S Spelling 6. She's on Lesson 8 right now. I have noticed Spelling takes her a little longer than it did last year, so 6 is a bit of a jump up from 5. My dd is not a "natural" speller, but R&S has been very effective for her. I'm using it a grade above my dd's grade level (she would be in the fifth grade this year if she were enrolled in the public school). So far she is doing very well with it. I think she has only missed one word on her quizzes so far this year. I even suggested switching spelling programs with her when I saw how much longer the exercises were this year, but she insisted she wanted to stick with it.

ETA: I thought I should add here that I suspect one of the reasons Spelling may be taking longer is that starting with R&S 6, they leave the workbooks behind and the exercises have to be copied out onto separate paper. My dd has issues with that regardless of the subject. So, if your children don't have a problem with copying things out, it may not be as big of a jump from R&S 5.

Edited by Shelly in the Country

We used R&S Spelling 6 last year. I like the exercises and had hoped they would help ds with vocab. But ds is a natural speller when it comes to spelling as a subject. He aced nearly every test and did very well on the exercises. However, when it comes to application . . . that's a different story. He doesn't catch spelling mistakes in his writing. I'm not even talking about the drafts--I mean after editing. I dropped spelling for him this year as it didn't seem to be very effective in helping him with his writing.

As for his vocab work, he is taking an outside English course that includes vocab.

Cinder

We use and heartily recommend R&S spelling. :001_smile: It may not be "fun," but it is effective, has no busywork, and really teaches the hows and whys of spelling rather than pushing memory of an arbitrary word list.

The 7 and 8 book get into roots and the focus becomes vocabulary with a side of phonetic spelling. In the lower books the phonetic spelling is the main course.

Three of my kids are using R&S spelling at grade level, and one is using it above grade level (but she's above her age grade level in everything).

We switched last year in 7th and started in the 6th grade because 7th grade is (as a previous post mentioned) focused on meaning and roots of the words.

My son is an excellent speller and does well with phonics but this has really "stamped" it into his brain and he is using the words correctly much more often than before!

We are doing 7th grade this year in his 8th grade and year and I intend to finish the 8th grade book next year.

He likes it because it is his shortest subject (about 20 minutes a day)!