Menu

someone please toss me a virtual brown bag, I'm hyperventilating.

CalicoKat

I just read your post to my Dh and he wants you to know about this:

http://www.spyville.com/spy-finder.html

Dh says: Any device with a slow strobe might be able to work. She can google search "lens detector."

Me again: Since the police can only do so much, I'd be likely to hire a private investigator and get some help. I'd want to ambush this couple and press charges.

Then I'd move.

Horrible. I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

Alley

:iagree: Get a private investigator.

I find it disturbing the cops didn't try for fingerprints or anything? I have to say I'd be putting hidden cameras up, because I'd be very tempted to try to catch whoever did it almost as much as keeping them out.

Thinking this over for a day, I think I'd change the locks, tell all my friends as if it is the funniest thing I've ever heard of, and wait for someone to spill their joke. Really, who sneaks in a house and heads for the one room with someone sleeping in it, a male and female couple? A joker. A thief usually works alone, rarely as a male/female pair, and if they sneak in a house at night to steal, they case the joint and start with the easy stuff first...not talking in the room of a sleeping person, and giggling to boot--just to turn and leave. I vote for an aborted practical joke with two people who are friends of friends of sister, and who had no idea there was a recorder in place. Alcohol may have been involved.

I might consider getting someone to actually sit awake in her house (or nearby to the front door--out of sight), Make sure their car is elsewhere so they are not tipped off to this person's presence.

You can also get motion sensing infrared cameras that will take pics w/out a flash. She might only get pics of the dog pooping in the living room, but it's worth a try...

I'm more inclined to want to catch people in this kind of act then scare them off.

And while I'd definitely NOT want them in my house, it would make me crazy not to know WHO was coming in. :grouphug: Hope your sister gets this resolved.

Thinking this over for a day, I think I'd change the locks, tell all my friends as if it is the funniest thing I've ever heard of, and wait for someone to spill their joke. Really, who sneaks in a house and heads for the one room with someone sleeping in it, a male and female couple? A joker. A thief usually works alone, rarely as a male/female pair, and if they sneak in a house at night to steal, they case the joint and start with the easy stuff first...not talking in the room of a sleeping person, and giggling to boot--just to turn and leave. I vote for an aborted practical joke with two people who are friends of friends of sister, and who had no idea there was a recorder in place. Alcohol may have been involved.

hope you're right.

• 2 months later...
Curious too....

Absolutely no resolution.

She doesn't want to talk about it either. If she didn't have the tape she'd be apt to say that it was all in her head. But there's the tape. With the very clear voices. Sometimes she will say that she wonders if it was just the dog stretching and yawning or clicking nails on the wood floor. But then there is that recording of a clear conversation.

The police department didn't find anything and they didn't really have anything to go on other than that tape. There have been a number of burglaries in her neighborhood but no one has been caught yet.

-She's got a new house alarm.

-A panic button for her bedside.

-A lock on the inside of her bedroom door to use when her dd is away at her ex's.

-She changed the locks on all her doors.

-Her dog is crated at night in her bedroom so the night time messes have stopped. Poor doggie who was supposed to be a guard doggie but really is chicken.

Thanks for checking back.

-A lock on the inside of her bedroom door to use when her dd is away at her ex's.

-Her dog is crated at night in her bedroom so the night time messes have stopped. Poor doggie who was supposed to be a guard doggie but really is chicken.

Poor thing. They say crime doesn't pay, but it sure is expensive.

Absolutely no resolution.

She doesn't want to talk about it either. If she didn't have the tape she'd be apt to say that it was all in her head. But there's the tape. With the very clear voices. Sometimes she will say that she wonders if it was just the dog stretching and yawning or clicking nails on the wood floor. But then there is that recording of a clear conversation.

The police department didn't find anything and they didn't really have anything to go on other than that tape. There have been a number of burglaries in her neighborhood but no one has been caught yet.

Thanks for checking back.

maybe, but the first thing that entered my mind when I read your OP was, "I'll bet they're going in, giving treats to the dog to keep it quiet, and then later, the dog's system reacts to the treats (my dogs do this, especially my greyhound) and it ends with a mess in the house."

Your sister is denying everything because either she's too scared to admit the truth or it's just easier. Either way, she took enough precautions that I think she's at least safer now. Poor thing!

maybe, but the first thing that entered my mind when I read your OP was, "I'll bet they're going in, giving treats to the dog to keep it quiet, and then later, the dog's system reacts to the treats (my dogs do this, especially my greyhound) and it ends with a mess in the house."

Your sister is denying everything because either she's too scared to admit the truth or it's just easier. Either way, she took enough precautions that I think she's at least safer now. Poor thing!

:iagree:

If I were her I'd be packing heat. Little S&W Bodyguard under my pillow and I'm good.

When I was much younger, I lived in a dicey apartment building. I was frequently away on business.

When one of my phone bills came in, it had phone calls to a 976 number for a period when I had been out of town for the whole month. I had a rifle that was under my bed, with rounds on my nightstand the rest of the time that I lived there and I moved as soon as I could.

But even knowing that someone (probably the building owners' son, who was the manager and a drug using slug) had been in my apartment, it was hard to publicly admit that I'd been wrong about moving in there.