Menu

someone please toss me a virtual brown bag, I'm hyperventilating.

CalicoKat

My sister called me tonight and tells me this disturbing story. Hopefully she's on the phone with the police right now. Oh my.

She's always criticized, mocked, scorned, judged folks who snore. And one her last visit to our folks my mom tells her that she snores worse than our father who has the reputation for bringing down the house. So my sis denies it and get some proof. She went to bed last night with a voice activated tape recorder set.

So tonight her boyfriend is over and she and he are laughing at all the snore she's doing on the tape playback. And then they hear the sound of her front door opening and shutting. Steps down the hallway to her bedroom getting louder. And then a man's voice saying "Go ahead." And then there's a shuffling sound and a woman giggling. Then steps away and the front door opening and shutting again.

Oh my.

It isn't her ex. She doesn't recognize the voice. The locks were all changed after she moved in. But there are folks, neighbors, cleaning lady, babysitter who have all had keys at one time. Fortunately her daughter was at her ex's that night. And why didn't her black lab make a peep?! It was about 3 a.m.

And my sis didn't wake up at all.

I told her to call the police and file a report. I told her to stay at her boyfriends house until the locks are changed again.

I'm shaking because she's 5 hours away and I am so frightened for her. She's extremely upset too.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Oh my word :001_huh:

Do you think she will stay at her boyfriend's? Or will she blow it off and stay alone?

I hope she is talking to the police right now from a safe place.

Tossing you a bag.

Wow! What are the odds that this would happen on the night she had a tape recorder on?? That's really amazing. But, very frightening. I can't believe she didn't wake up! I wake up at every single sound. I'm glad she's ok. Has she looked around to see if anything is missing? I hope they catch whoever it is. Good thing she has this "evidence".

Oh my word :001_huh:

Do you think she will stay at her boyfriend's? Or will she blow it off and stay alone?

I hope she is talking to the police right now from a safe place.

She won't blow it off. She's pretty shook up. The police are on their way over and she's going to stay at the boyfriend's place until the locks are changed.

Tossing you a bag.

Wow! What are the odds that this would happen on the night she had a tape recorder on?? That's really amazing. But, very frightening. I can't believe she didn't wake up! I wake up at every single sound. I'm glad she's ok. Has she looked around to see if anything is missing? I hope they catch whoever it is. Good thing she has this "evidence".

That's what makes us think that this has been going on for a while. Her dog didn't make a sound. But the dog's been doing stuff at night lately that she hasn't done before like getting up and going down in the basement and pooping--alot.

I am surprised too that she didn't wake up but she works really long hours and her daughter was gone for the weekend so she probably knew she could relax.

:eek: You just gave me chills.

Reminds me of the Sixth Sense, where Bruce Willis plays back the tape of when he left a child alone in the room and there were voices of ghosts on it talking.

I don't think I could sleep in that house tonight if I were your sister.

Please let us know what happens.

That just totally gives me the creeps! She needs to get one of those chains on the doors. That way when she is home she can put the chain on and nobody gets in even if they have a key. I would also get a security system pronto! And some motion activated flood lights just for good measure. Wouldn't hurt to get a security cam either. Honestly, unless I had all that stuff going on, I wouldn't feel safe. I'd also think about keeping the dog in the bedroom with me too. She need my attack cat. Or get a parrot. Those birds make all kinds of noise when there are intruders. OMG I am so afraid for her!

Wow, that just creeped me out big time.

If this happened to me I would not tell anyone that I was aware of someone coming in my house and I would stay up all night to see who was coming in my house. I would also have a video camera on the front door all night. I might borrow a friends dog and/or have someone stay with me. I really would do everything possible to catch these people.

Wow, that just creeped me out big time.

If this happened to me I would not tell anyone that I was aware of someone coming in my house and I would stay up all night to see who was coming in my house. I would also have a video camera on the front door all night. I might borrow a friends dog and/or have someone stay with me. I really would do everything possible to catch these people.

Me too, I would want to catch them, but at least two people were in the house.

Yes, I'm creeped out here too. DH reminded me that our dd 9 recently spent a week there. . . . never again!

She's says she's planning on getting a security system installed ASAP. First the locks are getting changed out.

6 months ago she found out through FB that her first love is living int he same town. Their relationship ended rather badly in college because of his lying and under handed ways. I asked her what she thought about it being him and she snapped at me. I wonder though. The last time my folks spoke to me about him was pretty strong, "Don't go any where with _______. He's can't be trusted." I know my dad spoke with the police in our town about him. But I was young and noone told me the details. Sure makes you wonder. According to my sis they haven't spoken in person. They're FB friends and that's it.

My folks probably would stroke out if they heard about this. I'm not telling them.

Checking all the window locks and doors twice tonight.

That is super freaky! Sounds like she is in a house since you said the dog is going into the basement to poop. How scary!

Actually the dog started pooping upstairs in the living room. I thought it was down stairs too, but my sis is wondering if this all started about the time the dog started making messes a couple months back. She's been really frustrated about the dog's new habit but now maybe it's just the dog trying to clue her into the night time visitors.

Steps down the hallway to her bedroom getting louder. And then a man's voice saying "Go ahead." And then there's a shuffling sound and a woman giggling. Then steps away and the front door opening and shutting again.

Yeeks. Possibly a practical joke? Is she friends with some people who have a rowdy sense of humor? I'll get really wild here, because this happened to a friend of mine in college: is she sure it is the dog pooping in the house?

Yeeks. Possibly a practical joke? Is she friends with some people who have a rowdy sense of humor? I'll get really wild here, because this happened to a friend of mine in college: is she sure it is the dog pooping in the house?

:w00t::blink::ack2::scared: Oh, my! The insinuation!

I would be totally freaked out, hope she finds a solution quickly. Part of me would be freaking out, the other part of me would hide with a camera and a baseball bat for defense.

OH MY! Creeped out here as well. I would tear that house apart looking for cameras and video. They did something......but what. No one breaks into someone's house just to do nothing. If it's friend's, they'd have left a practical joke and then laughed with her about it. Yes, are you sure the poop is dog's poop?

Perhaps the police can play the tape for folks in the town and see if someone recognizes the voices? Assuming it's a small town.

OH MY! Creeped out here as well. I would tear that house apart looking for cameras and video. They did something......but what. No one breaks into someone's house just to do nothing. If it's friend's, they'd have left a practical joke and then laughed with her about it. Yes, are you sure the poop is dog's poop?

Perhaps the police can play the tape for folks in the town and see if someone recognizes the voices? Assuming it's a small town.

Now I'm really creeped out.

never thought about the poop NOT being from the dog.

never thought about what they might have left behind.

I'm calling my sister.

:lurk5: Let Everybody know what happens with the police... There was a news report here about robberies in our town where the guy was hiding in people's bathrooms, so I was scared one night, checking behind all the shower curtains. :leaving:

This is why we have our dog. We have a big, obnoxious, 100 lb boxer mix that barks at everything. I've heard too many of these kinds of stories. I wonder why your sister's dog didn't bark. Do you think it was someone the dog recognized??

:lurk5: Let Everybody know what happens with the police... There was a news report here about robberies in our town where the guy was hiding in people's bathrooms, so I was scared one night, checking behind all the shower curtains. :leaving:

This is why we have our dog. We have a big, obnoxious, 100 lb boxer mix that barks at everything. I've heard too many of these kinds of stories. I wonder why your sister's dog didn't bark. Do you think it was someone the dog recognized??

The police didn't do much. They listened to the tape. They agreed about the voices. They mentioned that there's been alot of burglar activity in their neighborhood. And they suggested she change her locks tomorrow and spend the night elsewhere.

They weren't surprised. They weren't alarmed. They weren't anything. It was frustrating.

But they did promise to do extra patrols down my sis's street and to keep an eye on things more.

O.K. a couple of more thoughts. Is she sure they were in her room? Would she have slept through that? Could they have been in her daughters room? Is it close? or the bathroom? Could they also have been retreiving something like a camera that they left previously? I would check all of these rooms really well. Or what about a mic in the phone? Does she have any idea why anyone would want "information" on her? This is extremely scary. Please let us know what happens with this.

They weren't surprised. They weren't alarmed. They weren't anything. It was frustrating.

But they did promise to do extra patrols down my sis's street and to keep an eye on things more.

Yeah, I was robbed in my apt in Chicago and I called the "hotline". I told the lady I was robbed and she said, "We don't come out for that." :glare: LOL! :lol:

The pooping dog thing is just disturbing. It also sounds like they are leaving something/retrieving something when the guy says, "Go ahead".

Guest RecumbentHeart

These new thoughts about the defecation are deeply disturbing at a whole new level. I certainly hope it's not the case. Will be checking in for updates.

I was spending the night with a friend on my 16th birthday and some crazy person broke in. He just snuck into the bedroom and lay down on the floor and fell asleep. I was the only one who woke up and saw him. The police didn't do anything either. I think the guy was high on drugs and wanted an airconditioned place to sleep. The police thought it was one of our "friends". :glare:

Wow, that is ten kinds of creepy!

Was there any sign of a break-in? Burglars don't usually stand around picking a lock, so if they came in the front door it makes me wonder if they had a key. Does she live in an apartment, where maintenence might have access? And does her dog usually bark at strangers? If he does, and someone has been breaking in, it could be that he knows the person and that's why he hasn't been sounding the alarm. DH (who is in law enforcement) also suggested the possibility of the dog being drugged somehow, which might account for the defecation.

DH also said if it was his case, he'd have the recording sent to forensics for digital analysis. He works for a smaller department, so that sort of thing would be sent to a bigger area agency. Might be worth asking the local police if something like that might be done, even if they don't have the means at their department.

I'm sorry this happened, and I hope the unsettling mystery is solved quickly. Praying for your sister.

I just read your post to my Dh and he wants you to know about this:

http://www.spyville.com/spy-finder.html

Dh says: Any device with a slow strobe might be able to work. She can google search "lens detector."

Me again: Since the police can only do so much, I'd be likely to hire a private investigator and get some help. I'd want to ambush this couple and press charges.

Then I'd move.

Horrible. I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

Alley

I just read your post to my Dh and he wants you to know about this:

http://www.spyville.com/spy-finder.html

Dh says: Any device with a slow strobe might be able to work. She can google search "lens detector."

Me again: Since the police can only do so much, I'd be likely to hire a private investigator and get some help. I'd want to ambush this couple and press charges.

Then I'd move.

Horrible. I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

Alley

I sent her the link and I'm considering one for me. WOW. I just feel so vulnerable now even though this didn't happen to me.

Has your sis tried the recorder where it was located and then spoken in each of her rooms? That way she might pinpoint if they were in the upstairs or where downstairs. I have a digital recorder and it's very, very sensitive. I too find it odd the police didn't at least check for finger prints but I guess b/c there is no proof of a crime such as missing jewelry etc they are not keen on spending time on it. :glare:

Even if it's dog's poop, could it not be her dog's poop?

I meant to add that I also have a black lab (big giant babies) and my lab has definitely pooped in our house when he's had anxiety.

i won't bore you w/ the details, but we now know this about him. He gets scared and soon gets diarrhea.

He's easily scared. One time some teens tried to break into our house coincidentally moments before the pet sitter arrive and it was clearly our German shepherd who scared the guys away. Our black lab was found cowering under a table and wouldn't go outside to go potty without the petsitter going with him.

Alley

Has your sis tried the recorder where it was located and then spoken in each of her rooms? That way she might pinpoint if they were in the upstairs or where downstairs. I have a digital recorder and it's very, very sensitive. I too find it odd the police didn't at least check for finger prints but I guess b/c there is no proof of a crime such as missing jewelry etc they are not keen on spending time on it. :glare:

Even if it's dog's poop, could it not be her dog's poop?

The voice was a man stage whispering, "Go ahead." The tape recorder was on her night stand. Her room is small and he was probably standing beside her bed near her feet, but not at the end of the bed. The person who giggled was standing/dancing/shuffling on the wood floor at the end of her bed. There are throw carpets on floor at the sides of the bed. Pretty sure they were in her bedroom.

My sis is in denial tonight saying it was probably the dog coughing or something. But there are the marks on the door, the tape with the speaking & giggling, and the dog making a mess.

She & her boyfriend changed out locks today and they've ordered a security monitoring system. Not sure when that will be installed though. She spent the night again at her boyfriend's house.

No the police didn't seem interested in doing anything more. They did acknowledge that there's been quite a bit of crime in her neighborhood recently though.

Edited by CalicoKat

I might consider getting someone to actually sit awake in her house (or nearby to the front door--out of sight), Make sure their car is elsewhere so they are not tipped off to this person's presence.

You can also get motion sensing infrared cameras that will take pics w/out a flash. She might only get pics of the dog pooping in the living room, but it's worth a try...

I'm more inclined to want to catch people in this kind of act then scare them off.