Menu

NZer's- Are you okay

I've heard reports from elsewhere (through SCA channels) that people are ok, but many places are still without power and water.

Edit: Here are some snippets copied and pasted:

People seem to be ok. Many will have broken ornaments, older buildings have

structural damage. Lots and lots of afterquakes. There is damage to some

roads and power is out for much of the city (Christchurch, South Island,) along with water and sewerage

for some.

Some building and road/amenities damage

reported up and down the island and particularly near/in

Christchurch, 30km from the epicentre.

Power out in some places and presumably water/phone affected for some

too. But aside from that, no major issues known this early (an hour

on). Lots of insurance claims though, I expect.

The CBD looks pretty bad- Manchester and Columbo especially.

Only a few major injuries so far so, but lots of damage, Civil Defense

has been sent out to assess. Some areas have been evacuated due to

flooding and sewage.

Commnication will be a problem as the cellphone towers are running on

back up batteries and they have little power left.

Power should be back to 90% of Canterbury by night (fingers crossed).

Big economic impact but luckily little human cost.

In terms of connectivity to folk in Christchurch and Dunedin area, landline phones functionality is going to be very spotty due to roadside cabinets losing power. They tend to only have an hour or two's battery backup, on the basis that when you lose one you send a tech out to plug a generator in. Obviously that's not going to work in this situation though.

Cell sites are running on battery backup and people are being told to use cellphones for emergencies only. TelstraClear's core Internet connectivity is Ok, and people who have power should have Internet connectivity. I imagine Telecom's isn't much different. Wireless Internet is going to be pretty much a no-go though.

Everyone I've heard from is Ok. No fatalities reported and only two significant injuries, though there is substantial property damage around the place.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Fortunately the epicentre, where most buildings are severely damaged, was a rural area.

I'm just uber impressed actually, NZ has been preparing for this for many years in terms of Civil Defence and building codes etc. A 7.1 earthquake 30km from a built up area with no fatalities and services already being restored really shows that the preperation was worthwhile.

And after many, many years living in NZ and dreading this every day of my life, I'm rather glad I'm not there for it.

We're fine as we live way up north in Northland. We've been watching the news reports all day on TV1. Scary! It's amazing that there is no fatalities. But please keep NZ in your prayers as the weather forecast is not good---gale force winds & rain & cold weather. There has been many after shocks through out the day & people have been told to expect more in the coming days.

But there was a plane crash on the other side of the South Island with no survivors--9 dead---at Fox Glacier. Our prayers are with the families of those people.

Blessings,

I think most of the major building damage has been Christchurch and just in pockets of it. The epicentre was in a rural area, but the earthquake was only 10 km deep, hence the reason it caused such extensive damage.

What is really amazing is the timing of it all? Had it been two or three hours earlier the CBD would have been still full of party goers etc and if it had been two or three hours later people would have been out and about.

Certainly gave us a good jolt awake, leaving us wondering where the centre of it was. I was thinking it was a major in Wgtn, certainly wouldn't have picked it for Chch. We are about 100km or so from the epicentre. There are still aftershocks, although I would imagine they are feeling them more up in Chch.

I am in the South Island of NZ, and while I am 400km north from Christchurch where the earthquake hit, I felt it at 4.35 am, so I can't imagine how bad it felt to be right in it. I have heard this morning that the aftershocks are as big as 5 and some predictions are for up to 5.5 or 6!

The initial quake was 7.4 but downgraded to 7.1, so they are pretty big aftershocks.

My friend in Christchurch had a family staying with them and had her piano tip over onto a couch, it was stopped by the piano stool, which was such a miracle as a child was sleeping on the couch! Another friend has let us know that her son's house, which was near the centre of it, has had his house ripped in half.

There are many people still without power, and water may be out for quite some time, so if you are willing, prayers would be very much appreciated.

Ange in NZ

My friend in Christchurch had a family staying with them and had her piano tip over onto a couch, it was stopped by the piano stool, which was such a miracle as a child was sleeping on the couch! Another friend has let us know that her son's house, which was near the centre of it, has had his house ripped in half.

There are many people still without power, and water may be out for quite some time, so if you are willing, prayers would be very much appreciated.

Ange in NZ

Oh, yes! We will be praying for you. Praying prayers of thanksgiving, too, for lives spared!

• 2 weeks later...