Menu

Spanish program help

Penelope

If you use or have used a Spanish program with your elementary-aged child, and are not fluent yourself, could you post the program and your experience, please?

Digging through the searches is overwhelming me right now. I had only a few years of Spanish, so my hope is to start a program and be on the lookout for a tutor or other language experiences with a fluent speaker to supplement. I was planning to start Latin for 3rd grade, but now I'm thinking to just do Spanish and get into Latin next year or in 5th. I do have Rosetta Stone, but I'm looking for a more traditional program and maybe we will supplement with RS.

We're using El Espanol Facil Jr. I have 4 years of Spanish more than 20 years ago (so not exactly fluent LOL) and I really like it. The audio is native speakers, they introduce language slowly and easily in conversations between English and Spanish, and there are fun activities. We've only gotten through lesson 4, but it is doable.

Maybe this'll bump for you, though!

To LadyDusk...I have also been trying to find a Spanish curriculum for my daughter...thank you for your recommendation. I was wondering if you also think it's worth the money. I see on the website it's around $150...which is less than most I've seen but I'm still just surprised by the cost of most foreign language programs. They seem higher than all other curriculums. Would you say this is worth the money? My husband is Spanish but speaks little at home....but we still want our children to learn because they have many Spanish speaking relatives. (I don't speak any Spanish.)

I don't have (and haven't used) Level 1. Also, Level 1 for younger students is a three year program that is non-consumable, so can be used for all of your children. In my experience, all of the Spanish programs are expensive, but this one gives me the most bang for my buck.

You can try the sample lessons on the site, or they offer a Sampler CD for $15 (5 lessons, maybe 5 weeks worth), the cost of which will be defrayed from the full program.

We are using the Jr. Level (designed for non-readers/non-writers in K-3) it is $70. I can't tell you the children have learned tons of Spanish through 4 lessons, but they don't hate it ;)

My soon-go-be 6yo is starting Latin in January (when our school year starts) I don't know yet if we'll continue the Spanish, but I'd like to!

Marie has been super responsive to me, answering my purchasing questions faster than I expected ... I emailed on a Sunday night and she responded that evening. That's worth something to me. I'm glad to answer any other questions that I can.

We're using El Espanol Facil Jr. I have 4 years of Spanish more than 20 years ago (so not exactly fluent LOL) and I really like it. The audio is native speakers, they introduce language slowly and easily in conversations between English and Spanish, and there are fun activities. We've only gotten through lesson 4, but it is doable.

Maybe this'll bump for you, though!

Ladydusk,

I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious why you didn't buy Level 1 since it is a 3 year program?

I started with a 5 year old (a just turned 4 and a 2.5 year old) and we plan on moving M-girl into Latin in 2011, so I'll still have a 5 year old and a 3/4 year old using it. The Jr curriculum is little to no writing (depending on what you use, we do use some of the coloring pages) and almost all listening/talking. It is for K-3.

I think the Level 1 has a bunch more writing and reading. It is designed to be independent for Middle School students or directed for elementary aged students.

So, I didn't buy Level 1 because it wouldn't have been appropriate for my pupils :)