Menu

Part-time 1st grader

workingmom

Well I told ds 5 (1st grade) private school teacher that I'd be bringing him home three half days starting in two weeks. (I was wavering between part-time and full time hs). So I'll pick him up at 11:30 (his lunch break) and he'll join ds 8 who's in (4th) full time homeschooling. I'm so relieved with this decision. He's the type that wanted the school social friends and specials. He'll miss math which is fine since I like Singapore and in the mornings he'll get his Writer's workshop and reading stuff done. I was hesitant in homeschooling him because of his "spirited" personality plus, hs an older one, part-time work, and having a 9 month old. But this seems a nice transition if I can pull it out without causing too much ruckus in the administration of the school.

I plan to do HWT (we started this over the summer but he still needs reinforcement), math, science and specials during his afternoons that he's home. The only thing he wont' get is a formal history (we've used SOTW) for older ds. But realistically I don't want to do Book 1 for 1st and Book 3 for 4th grader so I'm thinking we'll just go over basic geography/social studies stuff this year and reassess later.

I'm pretty excited about having him have a more solid education with us at home. He says he's going to to part-time this year than full time hs next year :)

Any other suggestions?

I would be sure to get a good phonics foundation in case the school is encouraging guessing or sight reading.

You can learn 218 of the 220 "sight words" the easy way--by sounding them out! I believe that we learn best through patterns, so below is a pdf file of the 220 sight words arranged in their sound spelling patterns. The 150 completely regular "sight words" are on the first page.
http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

I would be sure to get a good phonics foundation in case the school is encouraging guessing or sight reading.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

I was considering this and following some of the phonics threads. But like the older ds he already knows how to read about a 2nd grade level and know the "sight words". I did spelling workout for older ds in 1st and it did some basic phonics any other suggestions that doesn't have "baby" books per my 1st grader.