Menu

WWTB/WS/WT questions

coffeefreak

OK, so last year (4th grade) we started Write With the Best at the beginning of the year. After Christmas, I became ill and we went down to the 3r's (no "writing" projects) and History/Science were covered the Charlotte Mason way. Now, we're supposed to start school on Tuesday,:eek: and I'm finding I should have thought about writing again.

We are using MFW, and they recommend Writing Strands. When we tried WS in 3rd grade it was a bust. I think it was because DD wasn't ready for it, but I'm not totally sure. I'm willing to give it another go, but I REALLY like the look and feel of Writing Tales 2 for this year. However, I own WWTB, and I can see the similarities. I hate to buy another program if WWTB is basically the same.:tongue_smilie:

I liked WWTB, but I did feel it was a little over dd's head. I didn't use the passages in the guide, I used passages from whatever she was reading at the time. We did 2 units, but I think I would repeat those units if we decide to use them again.

Here are my questions:

1. I really think Writing Tales level 2 would be a good fit for my dd BEFORE using WWTB. I know HOD schedules WWTB in their CTC year (5th/6th grade), but I kind of think WWTB might be a better fit for Jr. High. Any thoughts on this? What was your experience with WT2?

2. We are using Rod and Staff for grammar so I'm not sure how that would fit with Writing Tales. Would the grammar be overkill, or just a good reinforcement. It seems to me that the grammar in WT would help her see it applied, but I don't want to burn her out. Rod and Staff works VERY well for her, but I don't particularly care for the writing assignments, which is why I purchased WWTB last year.

3. If you've used WWTB, do you spread it out over 4 years (Volumes 1 and 2), repeat it each year, or move on once you're done with Volume 2? What grades/ages did you use it with?

4. If you move on after Volume 2, what do you move on to?

I know this might be a little confusing, but I'm kind of in "stream of consciousness" mode right now. Doing a lot of thinking out loud.:lol:

Thanks for trying to decipher my questions and helping me!

Blessings!

Dorinda

LOL! It looks like no one has any answers for us. I'll tell you what I decided and we'll see how it goes this year.

I sat with dd and we talked about WWTB and agreed that it was still above her. I really think it's a great writing program for Jr High or Lower High School (7-9th grade). So, we looked at Writing Tales and Writing Strands together. She was totally turned off by Writing Strands. She doesn't remember using it, but she really was not at all interested in it. She LOVED the looks of Writing Tales, so that's what I bought. I ordered it on Friday, and it should be here this week.

I'm hoping SWB's book will be ready for the logic stage next year so I can use it for 6th, and then I'll probably do WWTB in 7-8th.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Dorinda