Menu

If you've successfully helped a below-grade level reader raise his reading level...

ereks mom

Specifically, I'd like to hear from those who've experienced success in raising the reading level of students who test at 1-2 years below grade level in reading comprehension/skills. Did you simply require your child to read more, with the idea that "practice makes perfect"? Or did you concentrate on teaching specific reading skills (sequencing, drawing conclusions from inferences, cause & effect, etc.)? Thanks!

ETA: I should clarify by saying that the family friend I'm teaching is a 6th grader, reading at 4th-5th grade level. She has very little trouble sounding out words, so when she reads aloud, it sounds like she is reading well, but she has poor comprehension of the passage as a whole. I'd love to hear success stories of those of you with kids at the upper grammar level who have become good readers.

Edited by ereks mom

Well DS8 has improved significantly in comprehension this last year. We took a break from reading and worked through Visualizing and Verbalizing. At the beginning he got nothing from stories. You could read a sentence, ask a question, and he *might* remember 1 word. After progressing to sentence by sentence in V/V, we read Dr. Doolittle (aloud) and he loved it. He knew what was going on, had ideas about what might happen, etc.

So we took very specific steps on the most important issue. Now we are working on reading with SWR, and it is going very well.

Next steps for us: more nonsense words with Elizabeth's game, and repeat readings from McGuffey's to work on fluency & speed.

As far as grade levels: We started with comprehension on single words, and when we made it to sentence by sentence we started at Kindergarten level. We are finishing his level now - 2nd grade in the V/V book, with 1 to 2 short paragraphs.

And I'm going to be watching the answers of others as his reading isn't caught up (yet).

HTH!

Amy

Edited by mtcougar832
typo

Ds#1 was probably reading at a K level in 2nd grade, and now at the beginning of 4th grade, he is almost on grade level (he can pretty well hold his own but isn't quite there). His comprehension is good, but he also had some hard times with retelling/summarizing. We used a mix of Phonics Pathways, All About Spelling, and WWE to improve his all around reading. The WWE was huge for him with being able to really attend to not only the detail but the bigger picture, and be able to tell it back in a concise, logical order.

Guest TheBugsMom

In the 5th grade my middle son showed signs of not comprehending at grade level reading. He could read the individual words and even know the vocabulary of the words, but string the words in a sentence and he drew a blank. I got him a 2nd grade BJU reading book and we began taking it one sentence at a time. For several weeks I had him read a sentence and then ask what it was about. After he started focusing on the meaning of each sentence we moved up to paragraph, then page, then 2 pages, chapter, and finally the short story. It took him about a year and a half to develop the skill needed to focus on longer and longer works but by the time he entered 7th, he was able to read above grade level and write a paragraph on what the each chapter was about.

It was time consuming and frustrating for us both but well worth the step back. He still needs to concentrate on focusing when he reads and slow himself down though, but at least he understands what he is reading.

In the 5th grade my middle son showed signs of not comprehending at grade level reading. He could read the individual words and even know the vocabulary of the words, but string the words in a sentence and he drew a blank. I got him a 2nd grade BJU reading book and we began taking it one sentence at a time. For several weeks I had him read a sentence and then ask what it was about. After he started focusing on the meaning of each sentence we moved up to paragraph, then page, then 2 pages, chapter, and finally the short story. It took him about a year and a half to develop the skill needed to focus on longer and longer works but by the time he entered 7th, he was able to read above grade level and write a paragraph on what the each chapter was about.

It was time consuming and frustrating for us both but well worth the step back. He still needs to concentrate on focusing when he reads and slow himself down though, but at least he understands what he is reading.

:iagree:

I get paid to do this and I've been very successful at raising comprehension scores. This is pretty much what I do although I add Visualization and Verbaliziation techniques. I start where the child is -- at instructional level so that it is challenging but not frustrating for them. We stay a that level until it becomes comfortable at which point I choose slightly more difficult passages. After they have learned to pay attention to what they read it is also important to make sure they can do silent reading well, too.

Took my 2nd grader who was at K level (dyslexic) above grade level by 4th grade:

Lots of reading aloud

I let him read comic books!!! Garfield and Calvin and Hobbs were awesome :)

Read with him aloud following the words with my finger.

NO PHONICS :)

Find books they LOVE to read - my sons were adventure/survival books

Is it possible that she reads so well aloud that she is able to do it without thinking about it? I have gotten to the point in my reading aloud ability that I can think about something else while reading. I actually have no idea how I do this and I frequently have the problem that the person I'm reading to will ask a question about the thing I'm reading and I have *no idea* what I've just read. If this is the problem, maybe she just needs to pay better attention.

How is it that you know her comprehension is low? If it is from standardized testing, perhaps she needs coaching in how to take standardized tests.