Menu

For those who use the audio SOTW

ClassicalTwins

When we used SOTW 1 over the summer, I did it this way.

Day 1 - Mom reads the chapter aloud from the book.

Day 2 - 10yo reads the chapter out of the book on her own; 8yo listens to the audio.

Then whenever we finished a disc we put it into the car and just listened to it for fun. We were going quickly through the book though.

If I was using it during the school year, I'd break that down into a few days with activities, library books, and map work in between.

We usually read the book together, and occasionally listen to the discs in the car. I also try to check out a selection of books from the library that relate to the topic that week... sometimes my boys read them, sometimes not. Sometimes they will ask me to read them aloud before bed. My older son will occasionally read SOTW as bedtime or freetime reading.

My kids have their own iPods, and listen to SOTW for fun on their own time. SOTW rivals our collection of Jim Weiss CDs as the most popular listening for bed time or quiet time. They don't always listen to what we are studying, but this approach has led to my ds8 being very excited and interested in Napolean, even though we haven't "officially" gotten to him yet. He's done more independant reading on the subject because of the audiobooks.

Edited by Kay in Cal

We listen to the audio without reading the book at all.

Dd is six years old, and very auditory, so she picks up on a lot. She loves the stories and listens far ahead of what we're studying. When it's time to study a chapter, we listen to it (again) and focus on it, do narration, projects, etc.

We're studying SOTW1 chapter 3 right now, but she's listened all the way through the first two CDs just for fun.

Last year for SOTW 1, I read the chapter, and let dd listen to it later. This year, we are listening to the audio while I follow along in the book and dd does a coloring page. I read aloud for so much other stuff during the day, I am relieved to let Jim Weiss do the reading of SOTW! We also listen to the CDs on car trips and just in the house whenever after we've covered the chapter.

We borrowed them from the library, right now, and love them. I didn't think I would. DD6 enjoys them, and with me being sick and coughing, it saves my voice for what I need to do. We have been reviewing what we'd done in the spring right now and doing narrations. Next week we start on new stuff ;)

I will be getting our own set soon. She does like them.

DS listens to the CD while he follows along in the book. It is good for him to see the words as they are read.

Last year, with SOTW 1, we didn't have the CDs and I did all the reading. I just told my DH tonight that those CDs are worth their weight in gold. While I am still sitting close to DS as he is listening/reading, it frees me up to prepare for the next thing we need to do.

When we have more time I read the text, otherwise we'll listen to the C/D in the car, at lunch or .. just because mum's voice needs a rest.

When we want to go faster thru SOTW (like right now) we play the C/D while one D/C colours in and the other DC does something else (:001_huh:), we alternate the questions between them, do the mapping page = all done.