Menu

New question: How do you hs pregnant??? Exhausted!!!

OMG, I'm so tired! All I want to do is sleep. As soon as we're done every day I take a nap, but I can barely make it. Today I actually slept until 10:30am (and I went to bed at 9:30pm last night!). I remember being this exhausted with Indy, but then it was okay if I slept all the time. What am I going to do? There are a few things Indy can do alone, but mostly he needs me to read/teach/interact with him. Ugh! I don't remember when it ended before. I'm not going to make it!!!!! I'm just so tired...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I am right there with you but my oldest is just doing kindergarten so our days are much shorter school-wise. I am so tired I can barely move. One thing that has worked well for us is to do our school work on the bed. Depending on if the other 2 are asleep and where they are asleep, we stretch out either on ds' bed or my bed. He also like to read his books to mommy so on days I can barely move, we stretch out on the bed and he reads his books to me after he finishes his lessons. I kept hoping the tiredness would pass after the 1st trimester but it's still kicking my tail. I hit the sack about 8:30p/9:00p every night.

I set up my special little command station. :D

The end table next to dh's (now my) recliner is stacked with most of the books, binders, paper, and writing utensils I need. The kids are capable of gathering up any other needed materials. They stand next to me or sit on the floor while I instruct, then the oldest heads off to do his work and the youngers go to the coffee table, where I can watch them work and help them if they're stuck. Everything's brought back to me to review, and we move on to the next thing.

We also have Netflix on the t.v., so I can turn on an educational show or movie while "resting my eyes". ;)

It is no fun to be tired and pregnant. Are you expecting twins? I have 7 dc, and was the most the most tired with my 5th & 6th because they were twins. Sorry to pry - don't answer if you don't want to!

I found when I just couldn't function that I had to delegate and be very organized. The school-aged dc were given lists of assignments to do each week, and I helped them during moments of energy. Meals were simple. The older children helped with everything they could - diaper changes, cleaning, meal prep, you name it. We muddled through.

Console yourself with the fact that it's usually easier to homeschool with a sleepy newborn than when you're pregnant. You can also switch to year-round school, to give yourself more time to cover the material.

This too shall pass, and you will have a beautiful new baby to love!

GardenMom

First trimester? That was a killer for me. I can't tell you how many times I left my girls just watching TV on their own and fell asleep when I was pregnant with my son, during that first trimester. I was so thankful that my youngest daughter was 5 (and not like a toddler that I'd have to worry about getting in trouble while I was passed out napping, usually after watching one of those baby shows on TLC or some such) LOL.

There was only one year that I was pregnant and homeschooling olders--ds's were 10 and 7 yo. It was the first year I bought a packaged curriculum. Math and English were workbooks--we continued with those. For history and science I bought Sonlight 4. The whole package. It was just easier for me to have everything at my fingertips. Dh did science that year. I did history and we cut back on the reading. Fortunately my ds's were still young, and everything worked out fine.

I feel for you. I'm also one who must nap 2 hours a day when pregnant. And I don't normally nap unless I'm very sick. This is on top of getting a good night's sleep. Pregnancy is just exhausting!

Take good care of yourself. I hope you find a system that works for you.

Cinder

Honestly? I don't worry about getting it done. The first trimester is exhausting. My body needed sleep....lots of it. For a third grader I would cut everything to the basics - probably just math and independent reading on a variety of topics. When you hit the magical 2nd trimester you can add everything else in.

I'm in the last trimester right now, and I am again prioitizing naps. I am making sure to hit "everything" since I know we'll be back to bare basics when the baby is born.

Are you expecting twins? I have 7 dc, and was the most the most tired with my 5th & 6th because they were twins.

I sure hope not! One baby was hard enough, I don't know how I'd handle twins!

Indy is dyslexic and unfortunately, I really have to be there to help him. We may just lighten the load a bit for a while. His math and German can be done on the computer (and he loves them), so I may just let him work ahead on those for a while. I'm just so tired!!!!!!

Um. Well. We just haven't gotten much accomplished this year. Sigh.

Being pregnant with three little boys in the house has been tough. I was sooooooooooo tired (and nauseated) for the first trimester. Second was a little better, but not much. Now I have 4 weeks to go, and I just want to lie down all day. I do really poorly with no sleep during the newborn phase, too.

School is supposed to be starting up on the 13th. We're doing Classical Conversations, and my mom has offered to take the boys (all three, wahooo!) to class on Mondays if I'm not up to it. We'll do memory work from the CD during the week. I'm lucky to have readers on my hands, so I'll assign independent reading (nothing too official) to complement the memory work in history and science, as well as our fine arts studies. Math and handwriting will be workbooks/review.

We watch a lot of educational DVDs (Bill Nye, Carmen San Diego, MathTacular, Liberty's Kids, Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists, etc...). Our house is drowning in books of all kinds. I guess it is a bit of an unschooling year. Some days that feels really unproductive, but other days it is very rewarding.

The other morning I was lying on the couch. After the boys watched the Carmen San Diego DVD (and spread maps all over the floor) my 6 yo grabbed a stack of ChildCraft Encyclopedias and took them outside to read with his brothers. My 4 yo came in with his book (the craft one) and asked me to help him read it. I read half of one page and told him to turn it (I was feeling REALLY lazy), but he looked at the last words on the page, informed me that I hadn't read it all, and asked me to start over. :)

My 6 yo came and sat down beside me with his book (the math one), asking for help with a number/letter code in and then proceeded to work on some other math puzzles.

My 8 yo came in with a feather he had found. He showed me that if he dropped it vertically, it went straight down, but if he threw it shaft first like a paper airplane, it went in a circular motion.

A short time later, I heard a weird scratching noise in the kitchen. It is always a little scary when my 6 yo is unattended, so I went in to investigate. The tip of the feather had been cut at a diagonal, and my 6 yo was dipping it in a cup of lemon juice and writing a secret message on a piece of paper.

And on the day went....

My house was/is a disaster, but life is good. :)

I didn't realize this time around I was even pregnant for most of the first trimester, but had no idea why I was falling asleep every afternoon (after lunch) while listening to the older 2 boys read to me. I seriously could not keep my eyes open. (I was in a bit of denial about the probability of being pregnant.)

The second trimester was a bit better, but I also had dh home on summer break. But, I think without him home, we would have been fine in terms of getting things done.

But now with 13 weeks left, the acid reflux has kicked in at night, I'm not sleeping well, we still have at least one child that seems to wake every night (and if it's ds#3, he tends to only want me), and I don't do well on little sleep. I'm not sure what we're going to do over the next 10 weeks of planned school. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and trying to be done with everything by just after lunch. Then the TV comes on and they watch "educational" TV. ;)

Dh has said he'd be more than happy to help with the electives over the weekend, especially science. But, the oldest plays travel ball, plus he and ds#2 are starting fall ball for baseball next weekend. So, it's not like it's ever slow around here. But, I may end up having him do science on the weekends/evenings. I think I'll also get history done in 1 day instead of the two I have planned to free up another afternoon. Latin is the only thing that is freaking me out ... we are committed to doing it, we've already started, but it's also something that needs to be done consistently.

My only advice ... not only one day at a time, but one hour at a time (and sometimes for me, it's one minute at a time!). This is my first pregnancy with kids doing formal schoolwork. Last time around, ds#2 was still taking naps and ds#1 was content sitting with me on the couch watching PBS Kids while I napped.

I won't lie, PREGNANCY (and toddlers) are the one thing that intimidate me about homeschooling. I still have awhile before I have to do anything formal, but still, the anxiety of how it's all possible is definitely there.

:grouphug:'s to you! I'm newly pregnant and the exhaustion has just hit me in the last week. I work until midnight two nights a week, and the next mornings are especially difficult, especially when all I want to do is to provide a nurturing and educational environment for my boys. I definitely feel for you.

Bring a book basket of books and supplies to the couch and SIT DOWN.

Edited by AMDG