Menu

Words in foreign languages for ears, or "one who listens"

We just got a new pup, and would consider naming him ears, but not in english. Other related words might be OK if they sounded just right and had a suitable meaning. For example sound, listen, or one who listens. We have heard the pronunciation in spanish for ears, and that does not have the right sound. Any suggestions?:bigear:

Thank you in advance for your help.

daddygeek

Ushasti means "big ears" in Russian. DH is Russian & calls our German Shepherd that sometimes :D He said Ushastik actually has a sweeter connotation but means the same thing. To me it also sounds more masculine. You said the pup was a boy, right? In both the U is pronounced like "oo."

HTH!

Ushasti means "big ears" in Russian. DH is Russian & calls our German Shepherd that sometimes :D He said Ushastik actually has a sweeter connotation but means the same thing. To me it also sounds more masculine. You said the pup was a boy, right? In both the U is pronounced like "oo."

HTH!

Yes he is a boy standard poodle. Part of his job will be to look after my dd and dw, the other part will be to listen for me as my ears are less than great. Thanks

Not a different language but "Audi" would be a cute doggy name. Audi is used a slang abbreviation for audiologist. Audi- prefix meaning to hear.

The girls each have a little stuffed otter that came with their hearing aids named "Otto", oto- prefix meaning ears.

Italian has orecchie for ears, ascoltatore for "listener" and ascolta for "listen!". Non of which I would use to name a dog.

Hebrew has oznayim for ears, ha-shomea for "one who hears" and ha-makshiv for "one who listens", takshiv for "listen!" and (ti)shma for "hear!". Also none of which I would use to name a dog.

HTH!

Ushasti/Ushastik sounds pretty cool!

Just to broaden the offerings, here's the Hawaiian word for ear: pepeiao. Sounds like peh-peh-YOW.

Cinder

• 10 years later...