Menu

s/o of Phonics Pathways thread - religion in LofF

Kate in Arabia

Ok, I had heard (after I bought some of the books :glare: ) that LofF has some religious references in them. I haven't had a chance to go through them yet, I was hoping to use the fractions book as a supplement starting next month.

Can someone give me a heads up on where/whether there are religious references I need to take a look at in advance? From the other thread, I was getting the impression that the story line of the book is, like, "a Christian person and his day" kind of thing. I can handle that easily be simply prefacing our use of it by explaining that. Or should I/could I somehow remove whatever religious references are there?

I'm annoyed that this is an issue, but I only blame myself -- I should have researched it further before buying. (My problem is I have to buy things so far in advance, by the time I get to using them and seeing a problem it's too late to return or do anything like that about it.)

Hmmm.. maybe I should try and re-sell here -- how much would you sell books for that literally had never been used (markdown %)? Or is that going overboard?

We just started with Fractions, and I haven't read it cover to cover yet. I'm an atheist/agnostic, just so you know where I'm coming from :). Scanning it, I found some references, but nothing out of hand. The dedication is a quote from Bach "for the greater glory of God" and there are references to King Solomon and the Gutenberg Bible. I read a couple of excerpts from other books that specifically referenced Biblical stories or quotes, and I noticed that the intro to the Pre-Algebra with Biology specifically says that it doesn't talk about evolution - that would trouble me if it were a Biology course, but as a math with added Bio, I don't think it's a big deal. Most of the references I've seen are innocuous - historical or cultural type references. I think cultural literacy in the Western world requires Biblical knowledge (just like I think it requires knowledge of Greek/Roman/Norse etc mythology), so it really isn't a big deal to me. I'm very sensitive to people trying to proselytize to my kids, and I really don't get that vibe from LOF at all.

Most of the references I've seen are innocuous - historical or cultural type references. I think cultural literacy in the Western world requires Biblical knowledge (just like I think it requires knowledge of Greek/Roman/Norse etc mythology), so it really isn't a big deal to me.
I agree with that; I mean, I think my kids need to know where "samaritan" comes from as much as they should know where "pandora's box" comes from.

I'm very sensitive to people trying to proselytize to my kids, and I really don't get that vibe from LOF at all.
Ok, that's good to hear. There were a couple of comments in the other thread that the character (I don't know in which specific book) was going to church or something; maybe I misread.

Honestly, the reviews here were so positive, and I didn't even think to ask about religion in a math program.

Can someone give me a heads up on where/whether there are religious references I need to take a look at in advance?
There's little in Fractions or Decimals & Percents. There's a reference to the Number of the Beast in a footnote about Roman numerals -- 666 uses all the letters less than M, and in declining order... DCLXVI -- and IIRC, there's reference to the afterlife, but by Fred in a personal context (he's dreaming). Beyond that, you'll want to pre-read.

We just started with Fractions, and I haven't read it cover to cover yet. I'm an atheist/agnostic, just so you know where I'm coming from :). Scanning it, I found some references, but nothing out of hand. The dedication is a quote from Bach "for the greater glory of God" and there are references to King Solomon and the Gutenberg Bible. I read a couple of excerpts from other books that specifically referenced Biblical stories or quotes, and I noticed that the intro to the Pre-Algebra with Biology specifically says that it doesn't talk about evolution - that would trouble me if it were a Biology course, but as a math with added Bio, I don't think it's a big deal. Most of the references I've seen are innocuous - historical or cultural type references. I think cultural literacy in the Western world requires Biblical knowledge (just like I think it requires knowledge of Greek/Roman/Norse etc mythology), so it really isn't a big deal to me. I'm very sensitive to people trying to proselytize to my kids, and I really don't get that vibe from LOF at all.

:iagree:

The few Christian references in LoF are generally the sort of cultural things you'd find in a story — the character went to church, kids shouldn't write in hymnals, things like that. No proselytizing. I only use secular materials and I'm very comfortable with LoF.

Jackie

The few Christian references in LoF are generally the sort of cultural things you'd find in a story — the character went to church, kids shouldn't write in hymnals, things like that. No proselytizing. I only use secular materials and I'm very comfortable with LoF.

Jackie

:iagree: I'm Christian so it's possible I didn't pick up on them, but I found nothing "religious" in LOF Fractions or Decimals & Percents. I haven't had a chance to read my Pre-Alg & Bio yet, it's still sitting on the shelf. But, I try to use mostly secular materials and found LOF totally amusing and innocuous.