Menu

Ballet class trying to bully us into keeping too big shoes...

She did not have any shoes for her to try on, so she said she would just guess at the size and order. Her jazz shoes are a size 5 and she said that ballet shoes fit differently so we can't go off of that. Her street shoes are between a 3 and 4. I was under the impression that she was ordering a 4. She gave us our order right before class and said that we need to put them on because the teacher is very picky about that. They were obviously too big and when I saw the size (5!) I new I wasn't wrong. So I went into class with her to ask the teacher and told her that no one ever measured her feet or fit her for the shoes. She said that they are too big and that with ballet shoes you want them to fit, you don't want growing room like in street shoes. So I pulled a face and she said "oh they will be fine, she will grow into them". Well I went to the front desk of the Dance Wear shop after the class and told her that they were too big. So she said, "Oh no." and went to talk to the teacher. She came back and said, "they are fine. She said that they would be fine." Well, Emily is crying because they hurt her feet. They are obviously huge on her and everywhere I read about fitting shoes says that if they are too big they can cause an injury, a good fit helps your dancing and that they should fit like socks. I am so angry!!!

I feel like they need to order the correct size and take the loss. It is not my fault that she has the wrong sized shoes! I already had to buy her a new leotard because, yep, you guessed it... no one measured her and a child large is too small in the brand that they carry.

They definitely need to fit. Did you try to tighten them with that string thingy that ties in the front? If that doesn't make them fit correctly, she needs new ones. Do you have to get them from that shop? It's easy to find ballet shoes around here. I'd try to a different dance shop.

Are these toe shoes or just slippers?

If it's toe shoes, absolutely no bleeding way.

If it's slippers - well. That's a bit more flexible.

But it seems like a strange way of doing things. Around here, there are several shops which sell nothing but dance gear & when you go in, the FIRST thing they ask is which studio & which teacher because they know which teachers want what. Some teachers will not accept a looser slipper or shoe because it interferes with the teacher's ability to really see the foot & the extension of the toes. There are numerous brands of even simple slippers & my dd (long & skinny foot with weird toes LOL) had to try on several different slippers for her beginner class years ago. Dd in fact was a bit bummed because the ones that the fitter said were the best were not as pretty a shade of pink as some of the other ones LOL. But the fitter said If you're studying with _____ then you'll need these. Some of the other schools would let you have those but Ms. _____ will not.

One other thing is that at first week of class there was usually an informal swap meet where parents will bring in their kids' gear from the previous year. Kids could try on some used slippers & see if the teacher would ok them right there .... you can get good deals this way.

Are these toe shoes or just slippers?

If it's toe shoes, absolutely no bleeding way.

If it's slippers - well. That's a bit more flexible.

Yes, I know... they are beginners shoes. She is complaining about heel pain and after I sewed the straps which was supposed to help she said that they slip from side to side. They seem to work somewhat okay with socks on...

They need to order the right size and take the others back. You never told them to order a size 5, they did that on their own. They won't even have a loss as they'll easily sell those to someone else. I can't imagine anything other than this, or a full refund, being acceptable. Feel free to to show the owner my post. :) If you don't get satisfaction, feel free to post the name of the dance studio so we can be sure to avoid going there. :D

No, seriously - they have to know that they messed up and make it right. How foolish it would be for them not to. Penny wise ...

Google "fitting ballet slippers" for more than you ever wanted to know about dance shoes and feet.

Here's an example:

HOW TO FIT BALLET SLIPPERS

Ballet began as an art form under the reign of Louis XIV. Today, Ballet is the basis for many different forms of dance from lyrical to modern dance. It is also the starting point for all dancers. Ballet teaches form and technique, builds strength and develops poise and grace. The ballet shoe is the dancer's best tool, providing support and comfort. It also allows the dancer to feel the floor making the fit of the ballet shoe extremely important. To get a correct fit, follow these guidelines:

In fitting ballet shoes, always consider the preference of both the dancer and the teacher. Remember that it is common to have different sized feet, so be sure to perform each step on each foot.

Make sure the dancer is wearing the tights they use for dance while trying the shoes on. Place the shoe over the toes and gently slide it over the heel. Ask the dancer to stand flat in the shoe. Make sure the toes do not curl. If they do, you must go to the next size/width.

Criss-cross the drawstring and pull gently so the shoe conforms to the foot. It must fit like a second skin and must not allow for growing room. Ask the dancer to pointe their foot. The heel should stay on the foot and there should not be any gaping in the width of the shoe. If one shoe fits better than the other does and there is no left or right shoe, try switching the shoes.

Experiment with another size/width to be sure the shoe fits properly. It is important that there is little or no room at the toes. If the toes do not reach the front of the shoe, the dancer cannot articulate the foot to pointe and they cannot feel the floor. Improperly fitted shoes also make it more difficult for the dancer to learn technique. A ballet shoe that is too large may cause the dancer to curl their toes in an effort to keep the shoe on while dancing.

If the length is right, the drawstring will help it fit around the sides. If the length is wrong, she needs a smaller pair.

I think she's 8. I hope they aren't for pointe! :scared:

LOL - I didn't read the sig line :D

If you tighten the built in elastic too much it will dig into her heels & hurt.

The solution is to sew on 2 elastics across the instep, in a X shape. The only image I could find quickly is on a split shoe but it will give you the idea

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ILBg7Az2L.jpg

This provides a lot more 'hug' all around the foot & you can then loosen the built in ties so they're not cutting into the heel.

I'd also suggest to not wear socks but stuff the toes with cotton ball instead.

I sewed the straps as they told me to and they are not across her instep, but more toward her ankle. ARGH! I would think a Dance Wear shop at a class would be more professional than this.

Thank you for the tips!

She has already worn them for one class so they are used and dirty. I don't think that they can easily resell them.

Well, I would not be happy, but do you think there is any chance they will fit her next year? If they were big enough that I thought they would fit properly next year, I might buy the correct size for her this year and hold onto those for next year.

Not that you should have to, but I might do that to avoid a big conflict if I planned on staying at that studio.

Lisa

I sewed the straps as they told me to and they are not across her instep, but more toward her ankle.

That's how we do it. You are supposed to fold down the back end to find the right place to attach them. Here's a description.

hornblower's way is fine too, and might solve the problem, but it isn't the standard way.

I would be most concerned about a ballet school whose interests are in being right and saving money over the welfare of the students. The teacher's approach should have been to check the fit carefully, instruct you on fitting ballet slippers, and correcting nay issues.

I would be looking for a new ballet school.

Okay, I looked up the woman who didn't fit the shoes, but does all of the ordering. She is the cheer leading coach. I just thought that was interesting.

I called and asked for the owner. She said can I take a message and I told her that the ballet shoes were still a problem. She said, "If it is that big of a problem then I will order the other size".

DH is insisting that I get our money back on the leotard now. Ugh.:confused:

I would be most concerned about a ballet school whose interests are in being right and saving money over the welfare of the students. The teacher's approach should have been to check the fit carefully, instruct you on fitting ballet slippers, and correcting nay issues.

I would be looking for a new ballet school.

Yes. I know. :confused:

DD has been dancing since she was almost 3. She is starting her 4th year of dance. The shoes need to fit. I'm surprised that any reputable studio would want her in shoes that were an entire size too big. If anything they need to be a bit snug because they do stretch out. Any extra room at the toe could cause them to trip and become injured.

I've never had a kid in dance, but my MIL has owned a dance school for 35+ years. For her, shoe day is a major big deal, where she has kids try on shoes specifically so that they do have a good fit. For her as the owner/teacher it is almost an all day affair that she plans down to a T.

Knowing how much care she puts into getting it right for the shoe order, I think I would insist that the shoes fit my child. Even if that meant that I might have to order a larger size later in the year.

The bottom line is that you're the customer. You're paying for the dance class. I wasn't clear if you paid for the shoes or the price was included, but either way, you're paying for the shoes. If they don't fit, they don't fit. Making do is not acceptable if you don't want to make do with the wrong size shoe. Take them back and insist on the correct size being ordered. Or, ask for a refund and take a class somewhere else. Taking a dance class with shoes that don't fit properly makes no sense.

The bottom line is that you're the customer. You're paying for the dance class. I wasn't clear if you paid for the shoes or the price was included, but either way, you're paying for the shoes. If they don't fit, they don't fit. Making do is not acceptable if you don't want to make do with the wrong size shoe. Take them back and insist on the correct size being ordered. Or, ask for a refund and take a class somewhere else. Taking a dance class with shoes that don't fit properly makes no sense.
Thank you!

While you are talking ot them, ask if they will be responsible for any future medical or therapy bills incurred. Since they have provided you with what could be described as faulty or dangerous supplies, they should be held responsible for any injuries your dd has while wearing the shoes. IMO.