Menu

More kudos for CLE math...

HappyGrace

I just checked my (very good) local school district's scope and sequence for 5th grade math and even though dd10 (who I thought was so behind due to chronic illness last year) is in CLE 405, she has covered most of what they do in 5th grade math in the school district. The only things they do in 5th grade that she hasn't covered yet are protractors, ratios and percents-AND she will get to those in the second half of CLE 400! (Also I think double digit divisors were on there, which CLE does do in 5th). I also checked samples of our state's big fifth grade testing that everyone freaks out about, and she could probably do most of the math in it now (barring the above-listed topics). And this is NOT a math-intuitive dc!

I didn't really believe it before when people said CLE math was about a year ahead, but I guess it is! I'm so encouraged. We haven't tested for a few yrs and need to at the end of this coming year, and I was so worried, but CLE will have her well-prepared!

(Disclaimer: she also does MM, but that was only for a few months so far before we broke for summer.)

:iagree: Yeah, CLE is awesome. I know a lot of people don't like it (it can be dry), but I can't say enough good things about CLE. I actually think I might like CLE better than Singapore or Horizons (and we've tried all three). We've done their Math, LA, K workbooks and Reading. For 3 bucks a workbook and 15-20 minutes a subject, it really covers all the bases. I usually say, "You get what you pay for," but not with this curriculum. I sound like such a dork, but I really, really like CLE. I also credit CLE Reading for my 7 yro jumping several reading levels last year after being pulled from ps (where they couldn't even teach him his letter sounds).

I wish I could get some kind of credit in their store for all the times I've recommended their reading, LA and math to someone - lol! :lol:

I just checked my (very good) local school district's scope and sequence for 5th grade math and even though dd10 (who I thought was so behind due to chronic illness last year) is in CLE 405, she has covered most of what they do in 5th grade math in the school district. The only things they do in 5th grade that she hasn't covered yet are protractors, ratios and percents-AND she will get to those in the second half of CLE 400! (Also I think double digit divisors were on there, which CLE does do in 5th). I also checked samples of our state's big fifth grade testing that everyone freaks out about, and she could probably do most of the math in it now (barring the above-listed topics). And this is NOT a math-intuitive dc!

I didn't really believe it before when people said CLE math was about a year ahead, but I guess it is! I'm so encouraged. We haven't tested for a few yrs and need to at the end of this coming year, and I was so worried, but CLE will have her well-prepared!

(Disclaimer: she also does MM, but that was only for a few months so far before we broke for summer.)

I have had this same experience with CLE Math. My dd is going into 7th grade and in Level 600 Unit 603. I tested her in spring of 6th grade when she just finished level 500. She scored in the 98th percitile without missing a single question on the exam. This was up from the low 50's the previous year when we were using another Math program. The other Math was a good program and it was ok for her...BUT CLE is just SO.MUCH.BETTER!

Love CLE.

Faithe

I have had this same experience with CLE Math. My dd is going into 7th grade and in Level 600 Unit 603. I tested her in spring of 6th grade when she just finished level 500. She scored in the 98th percitile without missing a single question on the exam. This was up from the low 50's the previous year when we were using another Math program. The other Math was a good program and it was ok for her...BUT CLE is just SO.MUCH.BETTER!

Love CLE.

Faithe

Wow, Faithe! That's awesome! Your daughter sounds like a Math Whiz! :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: I haven't looked much beyond the 500's with their math. I'm going to have to browse their online samples later. I took a ton of math (and calculus) in college, so math seems to take more of a priority in our school than other things (that probably SHOULD take a priority - lol!). But, don't ask me about Art. This is what I look like when it's time for an Art Class - :willy_nilly:

I have cheered it here before. It has been the best thing we have done in a long time. Math, Reading, Language arts, and I even have my 4th and 6th grader doing their social studies because they are such awesome geography courses. My younger two are doing all CLE subjects and they are doing awesome. THeir phonics is out of this world and is producing a confident reader in my K-1st ish soon to be 6 year old. My 6th grader is doing great with their Math 600 and I would say it is very advanced. I am so glad I found out about it here.

Great news , so CLE works great ! I love it too , it's my favorite math , but I still cannot help to add in Singapore and beestar.com . Both help with mental math and concepts not learned in CLE , but still CLE is best all around!

I was planning to switch to CLE & MM combo for next year ( which you were doing I think) . Could you please give us a review of why do you think MM did not work as well for you? Are you still doing MM at all as a supplement?

My ds tested into Pre-algebra with two other programs after finishing through CLE Math 505. However, the length of the lessons was really squashing his love for math (and he had the material down), so we have switched to Singapore (workbook and textbook only, scheduled one lesson at a time) and some Life of Fred to make math more "fun" again.

While it is true that CLE can be dry, I have no doubt that it is ahead and well prepares a child for math in the future.

My dd is going into 7th grade and in Level 600 Unit 603.

This really reassured me and my oldest dd!

We switched last year from R&S to CLE. She placed in the 500 books and we've been working from there since there were several things taught in that level that R&S hadn't even touched on yet. She's been a little down about being in the 7th grade now and doing 508. I showed her this and encouraged her that she is doing well!

Yes, we're still doing MM as a supplement, just took a break for summer. She is unfortunately not as thrilled about it anymore but I think it adds a different perspective (similar to what I like about Singapore but more efficient and shorter, which we need since it's a supplement) so we do it anyway. I also do CLE/MM with ds7 but he is mathy so we add on other stuff too (some MEP, Primary Challenge Math, etc.) I'm very happy with the CLE/MM combo. Sometimes I wish the MM was a little more engaging, but at least it is efficient. If I were going to use only one math, it would be CLE.

Edited by HappyGrace

That is so reassuring to hear! :001_smile: DS10 is a young 5th grader and is in lightunit 308. When we switched to CLE he tested into a lower level so that is where we started. He gets the concepts so easily, but struggles with memorizing facts...but we are planning to double up this year and get him into the 5th grade level by spring...we'll see how that goes. I'm not so worried about it though after reading this!

That is so reassuring to hear! :001_smile: DS10 is a young 5th grader and is in lightunit 308. When we switched to CLE he tested into a lower level so that is where we started. He gets the concepts so easily, but struggles with memorizing facts...but we are planning to double up this year and get him into the 5th grade level by spring...we'll see how that goes. I'm not so worried about it though after reading this!

My son is in exactly the same spot. We figured out that if he does one lesson every day (including weekends and holidays!), he will be able to start 601 by the beginning of his 6th grade year.

CLE has been such a blessing for him. The flashcards and drill have really improved his basic fact recall and he loves that each workbook has a different theme. He actually enjoys math--and it's been a very long time since he's enjoyed it!

We switched from Horizons last year to CLE Math this year. My daughter was starting to hate math with Horizons. But since we've been using CLE (we're in the 3rd book now), there's been no tears and she's learning better. I love that the drills are incorporated in each lesson and that the pages are neat with just 2 colors over white. It is less distracting in my opinion. There's plenty of review and the concepts are introduced gently in each lesson.