Menu

Educational Fontware or Startwrite for HWOT Font?

I have the Educational Fontware disk and I love it. I let both kids choose their own style: DS12 choose GD Italic and DD7 choose a curlier/girlier font that I think is based on BJU's style. I like that it does both print and properly joined cursive, and you can choose so many different styles for each font: dotted lines, outlines, outlines with arrows, etc.

I combine handwriting and memory work so, for example, I can print out a copy of Ozymandias for each child in their own font, at custom sizes (e.g. larger letters and a landscape format for DD). I generally print a blank line (just the lines) between each line of text, so they trace the first line of words then copy it freehand on the line below. They like using colored fountain pens and writing alternate lines in different colors.

ETA: both of my kids are doing cursive

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

I'm not familiar with either of these, but just in case this is helpful, HWT offers a free worksheet maker now using their fonts. You just have to register to use it.

http://www.hwtears.com/APLUS

Thanks for this. I just went online and registered but you can only make print worksheets. We're doing cursive! The print layouts seemed pretty limited as well, but hey it's free!

From the only sample I could find for Startwrite HWT the font looked not smooth, like digital looking. IRL does it flow nicely like the HWT book.

For the EF, I could not find samples of what you can do with the layout! This is driving me crazy. I need to know if I can do this:

line 1- copywork

line 2- blank lines for child to write

line 3- copywork continued

line 4- blank line for child to continue copying

Can anyone help here?!

Did you download the free trial for Startwrite? I have it and just checked, and yes you can put blank lines between what you type. I'm contemplating order it myself for the same reasons you are. If you download the trial, you can test out the HWT font yourself and print it to see if you like it.

From the only sample I could find for Startwrite HWT the font looked not smooth, like digital looking. IRL does it flow nicely like the HWT book.

For the EF, I could not find samples of what you can do with the layout! This is driving me crazy. I need to know if I can do this:

line 1- copywork

Can anyone help here?!

Thank you both for giving me the heads up about SW. Very helpful. Now, anyone who has used EF...can you do the above? TIA!

I am interested in this as well but have a different question (sorry to hijack :blushing:), but are you able to print the HWOT "special" lines along with the font? If not, do you just use "regular" lines?

From what I can see from the HWT sample with EF it does do the solid middle line and no top line. I think there was at least another option as well. Not sure about SW. Good question!

line 1- copywork

Can anyone help here?!

Yes, this is exactly what I do with my kids (I guess I didn't explain it very clearly in my post :tongue_smilie:).

You can lay the pages out however you want — you use your own word processor or page layout program, you just highlight the text and set it to the EF font you choose. Each "version" of a font is separate (dotted line, outline with arrows, outline without arrows, etc). Blank lines are created with a specific keystroke — I think it might be the vertical slash | — you just keep tapping that to get a "blank" line (lines but no letters) of whatever length you choose.

For cursive, there is a special "joining" program; you highlight the text and "cut" it to the clipboard, then click the icon for the cursive program, then paste it back onto the page and voilà — perfectly joined cursive. It probably sounds more complicated than it is. It's really quick and simple!

Jackie

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Thanks for answering my question! :001_smile:

Does anyone know if SW offers the option of printing the special HWOT lines?

What are the special HWOT lines? You can do solid top, solid bottom and dotted middle but I don't know if that's what you are talking about.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
It's just two solid lines - solid bottom and solid middle. I like to make these lines different colors, but I think the workbook just has them black.

I just got out my manual because I don't have it installed on this computer. It says that any of the guidelines can be solid or dash (there are 4; top, middle, base, and bottom for letters like y), selected or unselected, different colors (red, blue or black) and different thicknesses (normal, thick, thicker, thickest).

So, I think the answer is yes.

ETA that I just tried it and the answer is yes.

Oops, I see that you already answered the question but didn't see because I was posting while you were and I didn't see the bottom of page 2. Sorry.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

• 2 weeks later...

I have StartWrite and hate it. The lines are set by regular font size, not the say, HWT line sizes. I am left guessing if my line spaces are the right width. Mine has never allowed me to add pictures or separate text boxes or leave blank lines between written work or even access the help or user manual. I have contacted the company who sent me a replacement download with the exact problems. If I could have, i would have returned it for a refund.

I have never tried EF but we have SW and love it. I have used every feature in both manuscript and cursive and it is great. I do not use the HWOT font though because I don't like it personally but the features SW has are great. I have used it for copywork and have added images (included in the program) to make it more fun for my son when he was younger. I have adjusted the line size (making it narrower) as his writing got better and we have recently started cursive, although I have taken a break from that for a bit so we can finish some stuff we have from last year in order to start our new year. I have made notebook pages with it and also pages for creative writing, leaving a blank space and adding lines on the bottom so that my son can illustrate and then add his own text. I also personalize our sheets by adding my son's name, grade level etc. in a separate text box. It's a nifty little tool :D!

ETA: It made my life so much easier since I was making my own before that. Now, if they could only add a Greek font so that I can make our Greek copywork with it too :lol:.

Edited by Guest

I knew I had to have a sample somewhere :). Here's one I found if it helps you. It is in manuscript but I think you can get an idea on what the program can do.

[ATTACH]3254[/ATTACH]