Menu

Why does the media keep reporting that Earl...

LNC

Is the first major hurricane on the east coast since 1991. I've lived in NC since '94 and can think of many since then? I've heard it several times today.

I believe I heard that this is the first hurricane since Bob which could potentially affect the entire east coast. I am not saying this is true. It does seem like a rather narrow view, defining the east coast as the Mid Atlantic states and New England.

Reporting from hurricane alley,

Jane

"Major" hurricane means Category 3 or higher. I don't think Fran and Floyd were that high, but I'm not sure. I know Floyd was only like a 1 or 2, but it caused so much damage because it stalled over eastern NC and dumped huge amounts of rain.

Yes, I remember Floyd. It just sat and spun and spun. The wind was not that bad but because it rained so darn much that everything flooded and the tree roots were looser and some fell etc.

Isabelle was a 3, if I remember, but dropped to a 2 at land fall. It was underestimated (in my area) so it surprised many with the damage it caused.

Isabelle took my house and washed a couple other houses out into the Potomac (all the way down to their slabs, nothing left!).

I guess they're saying that for better ratings. :glare:

I'm so sorry you lost your house! I was in Isabel too and it was a doozer! Floyd too - ugh.

"Major" hurricane means Category 3 or higher. I don't think Fran and Floyd were that high, but I'm not sure. I know Floyd was only like a 1 or 2, but it caused so much damage because it stalled over eastern NC and dumped huge amounts of rain.

Fran was a 3. Floyd was a 4 when it hit the Bahamas, but a 2 when it hit NC. It would have been less devastating as a 4 because the higher storms tend to be smaller and faster. Bertha was a 3.

I don't know what they are talking about, but I am sure there is something that is new about this storm so they can make it bigger news than it already is.;)

We're in Canada though so maybe that means we don't count in the American media's idea of the east coast. :D

:lol::lol: My Bostonian father tells me he laughs every time he sees a weather forecast for a snowstorm that hits Boston and is then "headed out to sea", when he can see on the forecast map that it's headed for Maritime Canada.

"Major" hurricane means Category 3 or higher.

I feel for those of you who've lived through a major hurricane, then. Juan was a cat 1 or 2, and we were just a few miles from where it slammed into our coast. It washed right over our neighbourhood, and I was so scared during those hours - we lived through the outer winds, and the eye (weird sensation, the eye). A half hour before the rain started, we had no clue what was about to befall us. The next morning, our area looked like a war zone. I'd hate to live through a major hurricane. Then again, I guess that's why people are evacuated.

waiting in the scorching heat.....

I don't know what they are talking about, but I am sure there is something that is new about this storm so they can make it bigger news than it already is.;)

I was thinking about this earlier. They haven't much "weather drama" all year.... some flooding back in the spring, but nothing like a tsunami that kills thousands of people. They're just itchin' for some drama! :glare:

(And I pray that it really IS just media drama and nothing too devastating in reality.)