Menu

S/O clothes for 10-year old daughters...

I have an almost 11-year old dd. She is 11 and 5'3" and weighs about 125 pounds. Yes, she is taller than some of the grown women I know.

I can't buy clothes for her. The average 10- and 11-year old girls are wearing size 10/12 from the girls department. Dd can't wear those clothes.

Too often the Jr. section of the clothing store is too "trashy" looking. The girls section is out. She can wear ladies clothes but they look too old on her. Often times the Jr. and ladies clothes (especially pants) are too long in the leg and sleeve. I tired the petite section but those clothes were too much like the clothes my grandmother wears.

Pretty much her entire wardrobe is T-shirt dresses (with leggings in the winter) shorts with Ts or sweats. She hates jeans with a passion.

Tell me somewhere I can get clothes for this kid.

This is a real problem and I don't know what to tell you. My dd was that height at your dd's age and she grew out of all the size 14s, which were what most children's catalogs went up to. Her feet were way too huge for kids' shoes. Besides my own feelings, which were similar to yours, my dd was very upset that all the clothes that DID fit her no longer had colorful patterns or animals; we couldn't get purple shoes or shoes that tabbed instead of tied (she has fine motor problems).

The single thing that worked for us, and it only worked on occasion, was haunting used and vintage clothes stores.

Now dd is going past 5'8, at age fourteen, and while I can now find more things that fit her, finding clothes that satisfy her desire for color and come in a different style than what is currently trendy is STILL difficult.

My oldest dd is 5'3, about 110 lbs, and likes to dress without flash. She leans towards cargo pants and longer tees with camis under them. For parties etc., she has a couple of dresses she wears with leggings. She doesn't like tights or bare legs. We have been able to find appropriate/fashionable dress- up clothing at Kohl's.

Edited by LibraryLover
This is a real problem and I don't know what to tell you. My dd was that height at your dd's age and she grew out of all the size 14s, which were what most children's catalogs went up to. Her feet were way too huge for kids' shoes. Besides my own feelings, which were similar to yours, my dd was very upset that all the clothes that DID fit her no longer had colorful patterns or animals; we couldn't get purple shoes or shoes that tabbed instead of tied (she has fine motor problems).

The single thing that worked for us, and it only worked on occasion, was haunting used and vintage clothes stores.

Now dd is going past 5'8, at age fourteen, and while I can now find more things that fit her, finding clothes that satisfy her desire for color and come in a different style than what is currently trendy is STILL difficult.

Thanks for the sympathy. I'm glad I'm not entirely alone.

We've gotten lucky in the shoe department. We went to Payless and found flats in lots of colors. I had to limit us to four pair. She has a red, purple, white and white/black funky check.

I don't have lots of worry about dress up. Church is pretty casual if she isn't alter serving. If she is alter serving, she can pretty much wear a T-shirt dress under her robe.

I suppose I should be very thankful we homeschool and don't have to worry about the "right" clothes for school.

My oldest dd is 5'3 and about 110 lbs, and she likes to dress without flash. She leans towards cargo pants and longer tees with camis under them. For parties etc., she has a couple of dresses she wears with leggings. She doesn't like tights or bare legs. We have been able to find appropriate/fashionable dress- up clothing at Kohl's.

I checked Kohl's website at your suggestion. The the Jrs dresses are too old for dd. Some of the tops might do okay.

Looks like I might have to pick and choose from a lot of different stores. And that mostly on the 'net since our town is pretty rural.

It is super difficult to shop for clothes for this age group. My daughter can still wear girl's size 16 jeans, though they are starting to get a little short. She is 5' 2" and about 80 pounds. She doesn't have the weight to fill out adult clothing.

It seems everything is either too short (children's dept) or too huge (adult dept) or too trashy.

Diva is taller than I (5"4) and probably outweighs me by 20 lbs or more. We haven't been able to shop in the girls section for at least 2 yrs now.

I too face the problem of stuff being 'too old' for her to wear. She doesn't need 'business casual', 'club wear' etc. Thankfully, she will wear jeans and sweat pants. Finding anything else is a challenge.

Really need to get the sewing machine out and teach her how to use it. So much simpler (although not cheaper most of the time) to sew appropriate dresses, etc than to attempt to find them. Then again, when a decent top is $60, it probably IS cheaper to make what we want.

2nd hand stores can be a blessing too.

Is Old Navy petite not an option? http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/division.do?cid=49708 I think my dd, just turned 10, will be right where yours is this time next year. We are already at the top of the girls dept and often they are "wide" and not long enough. But she loves Old Navy and I think we can shop the women's petite next year. I hope. My dd is not particularly skinny, not overweight, but not super slim, so I hope that plan works.

Is Old Navy petite not an option? http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/division.do?cid=49708 I think my dd, just turned 10, will be right where yours is this time next year. We are already at the top of the girls dept and often they are "wide" and not long enough. But she loves Old Navy and I think we can shop the women's petite next year. I hope. My dd is not particularly skinny, not overweight, but not super slim, so I hope that plan works.

I had no idea old navy has a petite section. Hmmm... I wonder if Gap does. Off to look

I have an almost 11-year old dd. She is 11 and 5'3" and weighs about 125 pounds. Yes, she is taller than some of the grown women I know.

I can't buy clothes for her. The average 10- and 11-year old girls are wearing size 10/12 from the girls department. Dd can't wear those clothes.

Too often the Jr. section of the clothing store is too "trashy" looking. The girls section is out. She can wear ladies clothes but they look too old on her. Often times the Jr. and ladies clothes (especially pants) are too long in the leg and sleeve. I tired the petite section but those clothes were too much like the clothes my grandmother wears.

Pretty much her entire wardrobe is T-shirt dresses (with leggings in the winter) shorts with Ts or sweats. She hates jeans with a passion.

Tell me somewhere I can get clothes for this kid.

My girls are 8 & 4' 9". We shop at children's place for pants, skirts & dresses. Their skorts & pants are adjustable at the waist & seems to be slimmer.

Old Navy for tops as theirs is slimmer & longer. Oshkosh sometimes has tops/dresses that looks better on slim & tall kids.

we usually go to the outlet stores as they seems to have better selection here. If you know the correct size, then you can order online.

I usually get dressy tops & frocks with a string or a belt at the waist so it does not look too loose on them.

We do spend a considerable amount of time trying to get the correct size & at the same time age appropriate.

I"m smaller than your dd. I pretty much live in yoga pants and tshirts with sandals/flip flops. So yoga pants and Ts are my standard. For going out or something less sporty she can't go wrong with black pants and tops. Long shirts and leggings are big for fall! She can't go wrong there.

Sometimes I buy "plain" clothes just because of the correct fit but I'm all about the accessories. What I lack in size I make up for in accessories (especially at places like Forever21 where I can pick up a few plain tshirts/shirts and dress them up with their cheap accessories - same stuff as in places like the younger girls' JUSTICE but cheaper price tag).

I"m smaller than your dd. I pretty much live in yoga pants and tshirts with sandals/flip flops. So yoga pants and Ts are my standard. For going out or something less sporty she can't go wrong with black pants and tops. Long shirts and leggings are big for fall! She can't go wrong there.

Sometimes I buy "plain" clothes just because of the correct fit but I'm all about the accessories. What I lack in size I make up for in accessories (especially at places like Forever21 where I can pick up a few plain tshirts/shirts and dress them up with their cheap accessories - same stuff as in places like the younger girls' JUSTICE but cheaper price tag).

Where do you get yoga pants that are not 6 inches too long?

For my 5'3" 11 yo I shop juniors selectively at Old Navy, Target and Kohls misses XS, Sierra Trading Post online - you can shop by size. She still wears 16 slim jeans Target girls with an adjustable waist, but they are very loose. I have no idea what size is next bc 2's look huge for her! We have a long denim skirt that she wears almost every Sunday and 2-3 pretty April Cornell XS ladies dresses from Goodwill. She always looks cute: casual and feminine. She wears Birks, Chacos or Nikes every day for her size 9 feet!!! I hope her feet are almost done!

this is my daughter as well - same age size etc - we buy a lot of her clothes at aeropostale b/c they have petite sizes and awesome CLEARANCE! plus the junior stuff is cute without being overly trashy. their summer dresses, skirts were adorable :)

also old navy, target and occassionally jc penney has some good stuff.

I checked Kohl's website at your suggestion. The the Jrs dresses are too old for dd. Some of the tops might do okay.

Looks like I might have to pick and choose from a lot of different stores. And that mostly on the 'net since our town is pretty rural.

:( I've never checked out the website, and haven't been there since May (when we needed a party dress), so I don't know if what i have seen in the stores is available online. Good luck with your search!

http://www.hannaanderson.com might work for her--the size 160 or so. Not sure though if the styles will be to her liking.

I have a terrible time with my almost 14dd as well. She has a curves of a teen but is only 4'9" and size 3/4 shoes. The girls 12 is too tight and many of the 14 are too long. She will NOT NOT NOT wear jeans either.

So many of the girls sizes are NOT made for curves and an A/B cup but yet the junior stuff is trashy, too long cut, etc.

T shirts and leggings are her friends but she is going to public school 1/2 days and I want her to at least sorta fit in as she has special needs and will stand out enough as it is.

Thankfully almost 15dd will wear jeans and can fit in girls size 12 most of the time. She is easier to dress, except for tops at times as she is a B cup and again, girls size 12 are not made for that.

At least I am not alone in this battle. Today I went to Kohls and spent $23 on a pair of cute sandals. I never spend this much but they fit the girls (they can share them for dress up, etc.) and are trendy but still practical. We also got some knee length shorts for $3 on clearance, a dress for $7, etc.