Menu

Deer and apples

On Sunday we checked our three small Discovery apple trees and they had about ten apples on each one. We tried one apple but it wasn't fully ripe, so we left them on the trees to ripen some more.

Today I noticed that there were only two (not very nice) apples left. There are deer in the neighbourhood but I've not seen any in the garden and we have had no deer damage, even during last winter's hard snow. There is no damage to the trees and our Russet apple trees still have lots of rather tiny apples on them.

So, four-legged deer or the two-legged variety?

Laura

I'm sorry about your problems! Deer can be so frustrating to deal with. You might try hanging a bar of smelly soap, such as Irish Spring, in each tree. This will work for a while.

Some folks have to go to extreme measures to keep deer out their orchards. I've seen 10' tall high tensile electric fences around them. Other folks use dogs, deer netting, a double fence (deer can jump high, but not long), water scarecrows, predator urine, dried blood, etc... The internet will give you all kinds of other ideas.

I hope you can keep them form coming back!

GardenMom

On Sunday we checked our three small Discovery apple trees and they had about ten apples on each one. We tried one apple but it wasn't fully ripe, so we left them on the trees to ripen some more.

Today I noticed that there were only two (not very nice) apples left. There are deer in the neighbourhood but I've not seen any in the garden and we have had no deer damage, even during last winter's hard snow. There is no damage to the trees and our Russet apple trees still have lots of rather tiny apples on them.

So, four-legged deer or the two-legged variety?

Laura

Bummer -- hope you get some more.

Don't know about your species, but the deer in our neighborhood are grazing under the huge crabapple tree every afternoon.

My mom's had them eat out of the birdfeeder too. They can drain a few cups of seed in one visit.

Our deer have never damaged our trees, and the ground is swept clean of even the smallest trace of apple (my kids otoh leave cores by the back door). They don't even leave tracks unless it is very muddy.

DH's solution: take up bow hunting :D