Menu

Books similar to The Hunger Games

Ender's Game. Scott Westerfeld has a bunch of dystopia novels. There's the Pretties/Uglies/Specials series, and he recently did an AU novel called Leviathan, which is set around WWI. M.T. Anderson's Feed has a fair amount of profanity (he's making a point about the degeneration of English), but is an excellent novel. I actually recommend the audiobook version quite highly. The ensemble cast is a real plus when you're dealing with the concept of advertising.

Ender's Game. Scott Westerfeld has a bunch of dystopia novels. There's the Pretties/Uglies/Specials series, and he recently did an AU novel called Leviathan, which is set around WWI. M.T. Anderson's Feed has a fair amount of profanity (he's making a point about the degeneration of English), but is an excellent novel. I actually recommend the audiobook version quite highly. The ensemble cast is a real plus when you're dealing with the concept of advertising.

The Uglies looks good, but it mentions romance. What kind of romance and it is OK for a 10 yo to read?

The Uglies looks good, but it mentions romance. What kind of romance and it is OK for a 10 yo to read?

I asked my 19 yo about this ( I haven't read The Uglies) and he said the romance was like the romance in The Hunger Games. He says there wasn't anything bad in it. It's been a year or more since he read those books but nothing popped out at him as being inappropriate when I asked.

Here are a few, not necessarily dytopian:

Keeper of the Isis Light and sequels, and Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes

The Ear, the Eye and the Arm by Nancy Farmer

Feed by M.T. Anderson

The Girl Who Owned a City

House of Stairs, Singularity, and others by William Sleator

Welcome to the Ark

I asked my 19 yo about this ( I haven't read The Uglies) and he said the romance was like the romance in The Hunger Games. He says there wasn't anything bad in it. It's been a year or more since he read those books but nothing popped out at him as being inappropriate when I asked.

I'll second that. The romance in the series is quite tame, as is the violence (certainly compared to The Hunger Games).

The real hazard of the Uglies series is that the slang the characters use is absolutely addictive. People look at me funny when I say I'm feeling "logic-missing." :)

I was also going to recommend The Giver. The other books in the trilogy are Gathering Blue and Messenger.

You could also suggest some of the classic dystopian books like Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, 1984, etc. (There's some adult content, but not any more so than in Mockingjay.)

Edited by WordGirl

I agree. Maybe a kiss or two, but nothing gratuitous or serious. I thought the series was pretty good!

Whilst my ds, 10, is waiting for Mockingjay to be available at the library, he wants to read some other dystopian type novels.

So, whats out there for him?

Suzanne Collins (the Hunger Games author) has written another series called The Underland Chronicles. There are five books in the series. The first in the series is called Gregor: The Overlander.

My dd has read them all while waiting for Mockingjay. She says if he likes Hunger Games, he'll like them, unless he's "anti-prophecy".