Menu

You people are sick!

Deep-frying unconventional foods is a very important tradition at the Texas State Fair! I've tried fried PBJ sandwiches, fried Twinkies (yes, fried TWINKIES), fried truffles, fried Oreos... and yes, if I were in Texas for this year's State Fair, I'd give the beer-filled pretzels a chance too.

It's all in good fun to see who can out-deep-fry whom. It's a total riot!

But... er... I suppose you'll have to take my word for it. :lol:

I don't think I'd enjoy fried beer just because I prefer my beer to be cold and not chewy. But it might be fun to try just once.

This, otoh, is really sick! Here's the description:

$4 NEW! Fried Cheese Melt

Grilled cheese with a twist. Four fried mozzarella sticks and melted American cheese grilled between two slices of sourdough bread. Served with wavy-cut French fries and a side of marinara sauce.

My arteries are clogging just reading about it!

Cinder

I don't think I'd enjoy fried beer just because I prefer my beer to be cold and not chewy. But it might be fun to try just once.

This, otoh, is really sick! Here's the description:

$4 NEW! Fried Cheese Melt

Grilled cheese with a twist. Four fried mozzarella sticks and melted American cheese grilled between two slices of sourdough bread. Served with wavy-cut French fries and a side of marinara sauce.

My arteries are clogging just reading about it!

Cinder

Sounds so yummy! Not that I would actually eat it though -- can't have gluten. :D

http://gawker.com/5626971/the-future-of-american-food-deep+fried-beer

Argh!!!

:blink:

:thumbdown:

5.gif

Rosie

Hey, don't look at me! The only fried things I'll eat are fries and chicken. The chicken, though, is actually a requirement of my religion because I'm southern baptist :D. My friend was just telling me about fried snickers bars. You know, because someone looked at that candy bar and said "Now, this is way to healthy. It obviously needs to be fried :001_huh:"

But beer?! What will they fry next?

Unbelievable... that this can be done, that some guy spent three years of his life working it out and that he will very likely become VERY, VERY rich because of it. I need an idea like this. Something unique that will sell and help me help my husband pay off the mortgage... (He'd love help with that, of course:001_smile:). But, I'd want it to be an idea I could also be proud of... ;)

Unbelievable... that this can be done, that some guy spent three years of his life working it out and that he will very likely become VERY, VERY rich because of it. I need an idea like this. Something unique that will sell and help me help my husband pay off the mortgage... (He'd love help with that, of course:001_smile:). But, I'd want it to be an idea I could also be proud of... ;)

Just look around your kitchen for stuff to fry! :D Or you could improve on the beer pretzel. Maybe chocolate covered fried beer pretzels :001_huh:.

:ack2:

Did you try it?!?! :bigear:

I'm sorry to say....No, I didn't. A few years ago we bought a deep-fried Snickers bar and couldn't even finish it between the four of us. So, deep-fried animal fat was just not gonna fly. But the truth is, I looooove butter in its natural form. Always have. I used to swipe fingerfuls of it from the table when no one was looking. I think butter improves almost anything.

I wonder what they'll deep fry next? Chocolate milk?

Deep-frying unconventional foods is a very important tradition at the Texas State Fair! I've tried fried PBJ sandwiches, fried Twinkies (yes, fried TWINKIES), fried truffles, fried Oreos... and yes, if I were in Texas for this year's State Fair, I'd give the beer-filled pretzels a chance too.

It's all in good fun to see who can out-deep-fry whom. It's a total riot!

But... er... I suppose you'll have to take my word for it. :lol:

:iagree: There are two categories in the deep fried contest, one for tastiest and one for most creative. Here is the info from the Dallas Morning News about the finalists for this year:

DALLAS (August 25, 2010)--Fans of deep-fried food must flash IDs to prove they’re old enough to eat the alcohol-laced goodies at this year's State Fair of Texas.

Fair officials Wednesday in Dallas announced the eight finalists for the Big Tex Choice Awards, as vendors seek honors for best taste and most creative new offerings.

Fair spokeswoman Sue Gooding says the fried beer and the deep-fried frozen margarita will require purchasers to show ID proving they are at least 21, because the recipes for both include alcohol.

The other six finalists, to be judged Sept. 6 by members of the media, are deep fried s'mores Pop-Tart, fried club salad, fried chocolate, fried lemonade, fried caviar, featuring black-eyed peas, and a fried Frito pie.

The fair runs Sept. 24 through Oct. 17.

I don't even drink beer and I think I woudl rather try the fried beer rather than a fried club salad. How do you fry a salad? :confused:

The announcement of the finalists and the big winners are always big news here! :lol: BTW, I have been to the State Fair many, many times and I don't recall ever trying any of the strange fired foods.

Well, I wasn't convinced until I read that it's filled with Guinness! :cheers2:

OP, this is only a once-a-year, over-the-top fun fair thing. We're not all sitting around eating deep fried snickers bars for lunch.

(Although in Scotland, well... all bets are off!)

By the way I looked up the recipe for deep fried Mars bars and found it in a cookbook called, "Cuisine of the U.K." :lol:

My husband always stops for a deep fried Oreo. I take a bite because he exclaims over how wonderful they are, and I never like it. Sigh, think I would learn.

Last year the big fair hit was chocolate covered bacon.

Also deep-fried pickles are a relative new comer in the unusual-food-that could-kill-you category. Our fair is Oct 14; wonder if we will get deep-fried beer.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Rosie:

My best friend went to the Texas State Fair today, so I thought it only fair to report. Unfortunately, she did not get to try the fried pretzel and beer, but she did try the fried margarita. She said it's a real margarita, with crispy pieces of fried, lime-flavored dough dropped down in it--and she said it was fantastic. (see pic)

She also enjoyed the fried jalapeno slices.

The fried Frito Pie, however, got a thumbs down. Icky texture, apparently.

I just figured your life would not be complete until you heard the semi-report. :lol:

post-9866-13535083896746_thumb.jpg

post-9866-13535083896746_thumb.jpg

I had the fried beer this past weekend at the fair. It was warm, but in a mixed with cheese & ravioli sort of way that wasn't half bad. Would I have it again? No, but it was a fun novelty.

The fried margarita was delicious, and contrary to Rosie's original link, very alcoholic and would get you drunk.

The fried frito pie was average. I'd have rather had real frito pie.

I passed on the fried butter and fried PB&J.

You think we (as in Americans, I hope) are sick? This from a woman who lives in a country that serves kangaroo testicles as an hors d'ouvres?

That is not a wide-spread practice.

I don't know anyone who has served kangaroo testicles as an hors d'ouvres. I don't even know where you'd buy them if you wanted to.

So there.

:tongue_smilie: