Menu

Thoughts? Visited new church...

This is the only one w/in the zip we're moving to that has AWANAS for all 4 of our dc. The little two LOVED it. The big two, who have been to AWANAS at our current church for 2yrs...not so much.

Dd7: one of the teachers talked to us...more...strongly than I expected. Some kids booed, & they told us our teachers didn't have to be there, & it made me feel weird. We played a game, but the kids wouldn't stand behind the yellow line, so we had to stand there a long time & not do anything. Two girls were play fighting & got in trouble. My teacher told us to look at his nose when we're talking to him. (This is a kid who thinks everything is lemonade & roses.) Said she'd rather go to this church's AWANAS than none at all but would really rather find another church.

Ds9: there was a really old girl (9yo) there who was looking at me like she wanted to fall in love with me, & I think that's WEIRD because even if that wasn't WEIRD, I'm not old enough to get married. Then this kid flicked me in the head & said he didn't do it, & that was strange. Said he might prefer to stay home.

So...wwyd? I really expected them to be soaring they'd be so happy. They've been sad all summer about friends moving away, & I thought they'd get to this church & be so thrilled to see so many kids their age, but...they both complained that the teachers seemed harangued & overwhelmed, & the schedule was so tight they couldn't really meet anybody. I don't know...

Edited by Aubrey

This is a tough one without knowing your kids or the church, etc.

Without knowing everything that might factor into this, my first reaction was to say to try it for a full month. Four classes.

It would take at least that long to find another child to start to befriend (probably longer.) It also will take that long to feel the "rhythm" of the class and understand the dynamics among all the people, and all the other things that go along with groups.

Integrating into a fully formed group can be very difficult. Give it 4 weeks to see if they can find a place in the group or not.

Let your kids who liked it know that it might be a temporary thing, so they're not devastated if you stop going in 4 weeks.

Edited by Garga

This must be the first meeting of the new year, or close to it. That would make for a crazy time! I would definitely give it a few more meetings.

You could also hang around and observe a little, at least for game time. That way you could get a feel for the personalities of the leaders, and observe the kids. I'd want to know how discipline is handled. Sparkies are exuberant, and I would want leaders who could redirect and gently -but effectively - correct them.

You guys are facing a lot right now, and change is never easy. :grouphug: :grouphug:

J

This must be the first meeting of the new year, or close to it. That would make for a crazy time! I would definitely give it a few more meetings.

You could also hang around and observe a little, at least for game time. That way you could get a feel for the personalities of the leaders, and observe the kids. I'd want to know how discipline is handled. Sparkies are exuberant, and I would want leaders who could redirect and gently -but effectively - correct them.

You guys are facing a lot right now, and change is never easy. :grouphug: :grouphug:

J

I agree. This could have been an off night for that club. Since your dc are open to the idea of returning, I would give it a trial period. But, I would want to observe a little for myself.

I've always gotten the feeling from AWANAS that you don't really "visit" more than once. You register or not. Maybe I'm paranoid. LOL

But then, too, I'd hate to try to find another place a month into it.

I keep forgetting our church doesn't have AWANAS this yr & thinking we should just stick w/ that, lol. :glare:

As far as telling the little 2 it could be temporary--they're 2 & 3 yo, so...they won't really get that.

I guess we'll see...I tend to think...some of these problems are simply from the other kids, &...I don't know that going somewhere else would change that much. I wish there were a way to call ahead & get *some* kind of information, but there's not really a decent way to ask, "So, uh, are the kids at your church nice? How about the volunteers?" :lol:

That sounds like they have teachers who don't know how to keep the kind of order that keeps people feeling safe and secure.

This is the impression I got from your post. And this would be a deal breaker for me.

Honestly, AWANAS for the youngest two wouldn't be that important for me. The older two would benefit the most from a good program (whether it is AWANAS or another program) and if they aren't comfortable then I would look elsewhere.