Menu

Classical conversations, memory work, online community, etc.

staceyobu

Is the audio cd worth buying? Is the online community worth joining? Do you work on ALL the memory work with a young kid (kindergarten)? Should we try to review all of it each week? Or just focus on maybe the timeline and the math facts... and leave out the Latin and parts of speech?

Any tips on good ways to review with a young one?

Hi, I'm using CC at home for me a community was not worth joining for several reasons, for you it might be it is according to how you want to school and what you would need/want from the group. In cc they do all of the memory work with all of the age children. you will be amazed at what they are capable of remembering. You could leave out anything that you don't want your child to learn. I have the audio cd and use it when we are in the car, I find it useful to help me get cc done when we have places to go. HTH

I did CC last year. I'd say yes for the audio CD. I did the online community and didn't find I used it much (but it was only about $6/month with the discount you get) but I know others who used it a lot. I sort of wished I'd had the resource CD, but probably not for a kindergartner. I would say for a K'er, just take it easy and listen the CD in the car and maybe a time or two at home during the week. For a 1st grader last year, we did pretty much all of it, but really if you're just learning the songs for each week it won't take much time (and you'll be amazed at how much sticks). I wouldn't devote a ton of time to it at that age, however, like with drilling flashcards etc. And then spend a little time doing the timeline with the motions. Some people build their whole curriculum around CC, which is great if that is what you want.

We did CC last year with me son. He was 4 when we started but turned 5 in September. If we worked at it everyday for about 20 minutes, he could retain all of it, even Latin. If we slacked off, he could remember much of it by passively listening to the audio CD before he went to bed (especially anything, like history, the prepositions or the presidents, that was set to music). This year, I didn't order the CD, but downloaded all of the memory work and songs from the connected community onto my own CD. I did this because of the extra songs on the file-sharing forum written and performed by Amy Joy Tofft (I'm going off of memory on the name, so I'm sure I didn't get it exactly right) which are not on the audio CD.

These extra songs make it easier for him to learn the English grammar and science memory work that aren't set to music on the regular CD. The downside is that it is somewhat time-consuming to individually download each song. Also, each bit of memory work is its own track when you download them this way making dozens of tracks you have to cycle through to get to the week that you need.