Menu

Elemental Science

EJCMom

Does anyone have any feedback on the Intro to Science book from Elemental Science? I like the look of the example on the website. It looks like it would be a fun introduction to science. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has used it or is using it, and how you and your dc like it. Thanks!

I can't speak specifically to that book, but we're using her Earth Science book and absolutely LOVE it. Her approach, her experiments, her method....it's perfect for us.

I figured I'd throw that out there and give you a bump back to page 1 since I know there are people who use it here. :)

Thank you! :001_smile:

How are the experiments for the Earth Science book? If we end up getting the Intro book and liking it, I would imagine we'll stick with the series.

I haven't actually started it yet, but I've read through the entire book and it looks AWESOME! I'm excited to use it, just waiting for dd to turn 5 and then we'll officially start K. The activities and craft ideas are all simple enough for me to actually do them, and I think it will be a really fun wait to begin science.

We've just done the first week. We made crayon cookies and learned about states of matter. I skipped the nature walk. DD has been asking to do science again all week! She did the whole week's worth in one day. I'll have to make her stretch in out next week. Looks like a ton of fun, perfect intro to science. My goal is to instill a love for science. I think this will do the job quite well.

Well, my boys love Elemental Science! My third grader is doing Chemistry and my first grader is doing Biology. Both levels are about perfect for each boy's level of understanding, although my third grader follows the teacher's manual by himself most of the time. I just have to ensure he actually writes his narrations (he'd much rather dictate to me or skip the writing all together!)

I bought it for my now 4.5 year old just to integrate some science concepts that her older siblings are studying. We are very, very low key and mainly got it b/c she is wanting to do "her" stuff. It is actually wonderful for my 1st grader and a perfect overview of science for that age. The price can't be beat! We have the Earth Science and are integrating it a bit w/ Real Science Odyssey Earth Science.

Thank you! :001_smile:

How are the experiments for the Earth Science book? If we end up getting the Intro book and liking it, I would imagine we'll stick with the series.

They're fun! They come from Janice Van Cleve's Earth Science experiment book. So far we've spun eggs in circles and talked about how the inside (hard-boiled or raw) affects the way it spins like the earth's core affects how it spins.

We also did an experiment on how the atmosphere holds heat in by putting a thermometer inside a plastic bag, blowing it up, and putting that one inside another plastic bag. Then we let them sit outside for 30 mins, recorded the temp, brought them inside for 30 mins, and recorded the temp again.

DD has really liked them and she's definitely learned a lot from them IMO.

About a month ago I pre-ordered the printed version (I don't do eBooks :tongue_smilie:). We will be using it for a first grader. I'm hoping she's not too old for it. But, I wanted to start right from the beginning with this series. It looks really good....can't wait to finally get it in the mail. I just went back to the website because I couldn't remember when it's supposed to be shipped....looks like later this month!

:hurray: