Menu

Losing a pound a day w/The Zone Diet....

I don't know what to make of this. My friend encouraged me to try it, she and her husband are in INCREDIBLE shape and almost 60! I have about 30 lbs. to lose, though most people don't know because I dress to hide it. However, it's all on display in a swimsuit!

Anyway, so I'm doing this diet and losing a lb. every day!! I know it's got to be mostly water but I don't care, whatever it is, I'm feeling better, no more brain fog, no more cravings, it's amazing! I've had a problem w/bloating for years so if it IS water that I'm losing right now, that's just one more issue that I won't miss!!

But I don't get the science of it. Does anyone understand how it works and explain it to me? I'm eating a bit more protein than usual but not overly so, it's not like the Atkins diet. Is it safe for the long term?

Thanks!

I did this years ago and it was the best I ever felt/looked. You do have to plan ahead to have your food ready to eat 5-6 small meals per day in the 40-30-30. I would love to get back to it but we eat organic now and it would be $$$ for the organic chicken, etc., that often! (I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese or other protein sources.) I noticed that Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism book seems kind of similar, like an updated rehash of Zone.

Agree with Jean on the science.

Out of curiosity, how long have your friends eaten this way? Has it been long-term, because I'm wondering if that is what has contributed to them being so healthy!

Thanks for posting-congrats on your success! I need to find a way to get back to this way of eating!

Julpost, congrats on the weight loss!!! May I ask how long you have been doing the Zone diet? How do you feel when you are on it? Were there cravings for the first week or just none at all? I'm a pretty serious carb addict, wondering if I could handle it, lol!

Edited by RanchGirl

Ok.

FINE!:glare:

I got a Zone book from PaperbackSwap...uh...2 months ago. And there it sits.

Maybe you are an angel sent from God with a message that this is the diet for me and I had better get on it. ;) Or maybe it's a big co-inky-dink that you and like 4 other people in my life are telling me this is the best way to eat - long term. Not a diet.

*sigh* Off to find that book.:tongue_smilie:

Julpost, congrats on the weight loss!!! May I ask how long you have been doing the Zone diet? How do you feel when you are on it? Were there cravings for the first week or just none at all? I'm a pretty serious carb addict, wondering if I could handle it, lol!

I've only been doing the Zone diet for about 2 weeks now. I haven't been REAL strict about it. I take it seriously for breakfast and lunch and then usually eat more carbs than I should at dinner. However it has really given me a sense of how out of control my portion sizes used to be. I like eating every 4 hours and NOT EVEN BEING HUNGRY IN BETWEEN! I am a TOTAL carb addict and believe me, if I can do it, anyone can! I don't feel the need to munch anymore. I love my comfort foods, especially warm bread w/ butter and anything warm and chocolately. And I can still have it, just a little bit. It's enough now to just have a little taste or two instead of the whole thing.

The biggest change for me is I'm not tired after meals anymore. I used to get so sleepy and foggy brained. I'd almost have to take a nap after lunch, I really could not function. NO MORE!

Someone asked how long our friends had been eating this way. I'm not sure, for several years at least. Her husband is very strict about it. She just limits her carbs and adds a slice of turkey or something if she eats more carbs than she should. She doesn't really eat sugar at all and is good about staying away from the bread. She'll have a small piece, that's it.

Anyway, we were at the beach and she just started telling me about this diet, she ended up finding the book at Goodwill and buying it for me. I went to the website and just printed out a list of the foods, that gives the portion sizes for each "block" and I make out my meal plan each morning so I don't have to think about it once the kids get up. I can't do anything w/calculating and real thinking when the crew is around.

I'll let you how it's going after another few weeks!

So does anyone using this use any of the recipe books that Zone has published? Or how do you decide what you're going to eat?

I think when I did it before I kept just eating the same things over and over and that's why I gave up; would like to have more variety this time, plus now I am cooking for a family (I was single when I did it before). Would love any ideas!

I have done this before too and felt good on it. I need to look at it again.

There are cookbooks for it. I may even have one!

Thanks for posting. THis is a good diet for those with carb sensitivity or insulin sensitivity.

One woman switched from the Adkins diet to this one and said she called it the lyposuction diet because it took 2" off her hips she had been trying to take off for years.

Ok, plan to try to find my copy today. If not, I often see this at thrift stores.

Dawn

But can you do it without buying all the Zone products?

The Zone diet is simply about filling your plate in certain proportions - the biggest portion being vegetables. http://www.zonediet.com/resources/zonediethints/tabid/79/default.aspx The one thing you might want to buy is fish oil but I already buy it (but not their brand).

I don't know what to make of this. My friend encouraged me to try it, she and her husband are in INCREDIBLE shape and almost 60! I have about 30 lbs. to lose, though most people don't know because I dress to hide it. However, it's all on display in a swimsuit!

Anyway, so I'm doing this diet and losing a lb. every day!! I know it's got to be mostly water but I don't care, whatever it is, I'm feeling better, no more brain fog, no more cravings, it's amazing! I've had a problem w/bloating for years so if it IS water that I'm losing right now, that's just one more issue that I won't miss!!

But I don't get the science of it. Does anyone understand how it works and explain it to me? I'm eating a bit more protein than usual but not overly so, it's not like the Atkins diet. Is it safe for the long term?

Thanks!

Okay, this has me really curious. I think I may have owned this book at one time. Would you mind telling me what a typical days worth of meals and snacks might be?

Can some of you who follow this please give some sample meals? From what I see on the website, if I want a lunch of chicken and broccoli, I'd have 3 ounces of chicken and 9 cups of cooked broccoli. Seriously, it would take me an entire day to eat that much. And a block of salad greens is 10 cups? Surely I'm missing something here. I love asparagus but 3 cups of it at one sitting isn't something I can tolerate.

Ok, couldn't find my copy but was able to get Mastering the Zone today at a local thrift shop for $1.39 I am very happy because this is the book I preferred over the original book.

Anyway, to the OPer, do you use any of the Zone bars/Balance bars?

I need to get to reading this weekend!

Dawn

Actually, Atkins is also healthy long term. ;)

I think Zone is probably fine and healthy, but it's too fussy/scripted for me to follow consistently. If you want to understand the science behind eating lower carb, you might want to read Atkins, Protein Power, any of the Carbohydrate Addict books or Good Calories/Bad Calories. :)