Menu

What grade do you start Latin?

curlygirlzx2

Next year is always the perfect year for me to start Latin. :)

I plan it early in my summer planning, but it gets dropped before school ever starts. I started in middle school so I guess that by that time, I need to make a firm decision about it. I think I'm waiting for both of my kids to be old enough. Or I'm just waiting until later.

I start it in 3rd so the kids can be reading well and writing fairly well. Also, by this time they've had grammar studies so the grammar makes more sense to them. For us it's more of an elective though, not the center of our education. I'm guessing for those who centralize Latin they would start earlier.

I started my younger son in 2nd grade. He was reading fluently on a middle school level and had completed GWG 3 when we started.

I started my older son in 6th grade. He was reading fluently on a middle/high school level and had completed Hake Grammar 6 at the time. He has dyslexia so everything started later with him.

I think it's helpful for the child to be reading well and to have a basic background in English grammar before starting.

We did a gentle introduction to Latin, a bit each year, in first, second, and third. Then dd tackled in it earnest beginning in fourth grade.

Ideally, I'd like to start my other two on a modern foreign language in first grade or even earlier, and leave Latin until fifth or sixth. If you know a modern language or have the ability to outsource it well, I would go there first, personally. I think that the collecting-vocabulary that first & second graders do is really much more suited to modern foreign languages.

We did a gentle introduction to Latin, a bit each year, in first, second, and third. Then dd tackled in it earnest beginning in fourth grade.

Ideally, I'd like to start my other two on a modern foreign language in first grade or even earlier, and leave Latin until fifth or sixth. If you know a modern language or have the ability to outsource it well, I would go there first, personally. I think that the collecting-vocabulary that first & second graders do is really much more suited to modern foreign languages.

:iagree: This is what we're doing and why.

We started very young (3.5 years old) as soon as DD could read because I didn't know what else to teach her. This was a time before the forum, but I did read WTM by then and nothing else seemed to excite me more than starting Latin. I haven't really thought about the cons of starting early - there must be at least one if most people are starting in 2nd grade or later :laugh::blush:, but that's too late for us. For me, Latin was a way to cover a few subjects in one sitting - foreign language, reading, vocabulary, reading-out loud, and grammar. We really did manage to do all that and come out excited to start Henle. Ester Marie had a great post about our choices with approaching the study of Latin (sorry, not able to look for it right now as I need to head out to the grocery store), but I think it's basically what level of Latin you would want for your child and how many years, if any, you would want your child to read original works - that's the starting point in making a decision. Also, if you are choosing Latin now over a modern foreign language for later, then you may want to delay Latin and start the latter now, unless of course you are able to do both. Most people don't need their children to finish Latin grammar by 6th grade, but I find this route efficient for us and we didn't have to make a choice between studying Latin or a modern language. Also, I needed someone with whom to study Latin :lol:.

Edited by crazyforlatin

I start it in 3rd so the kids can be reading well and writing fairly well. Also, by this time they've had grammar studies so the grammar makes more sense to them.

My thoughts exactly. SongSchool Latin is lots of fun, and can be done without writing, or ideally with a child that is at the basic writing stage. We started SongSchool Latin at the beginning of Gr3. It was a bit young for dd by then, but lots of fun, and took the edge off starting "proper" Latin.

We started LivelyLatin after that, and are finishing the bulk of it this year, Gr4 (school year ends in Dec here). We are currently doing MCT Island level for English, and I am finding the reinforcement of covering the same grammar in both Latin and English very useful.

One thing that occurred to me after we had started Latin was that, according to TWTM, it only falls into the Logic stage. Now, I am not suggesting being a slave to TWTM, but there seems a tendency to add in more and more at an earlier age. Hard not to with boards like this and all the chatter about such great programmes!

Nikki

Ds didn't start until 6th grade - the first year we officially homeschooled. His solid grasp of grammar made First Form go really well.

I don't plan to start my younger kids until 5th grade. My girls are only in FLL2 right now, and that's enough of a challenge for them at the moment.

If I weren't so set on doing grammar-based Latin (and I am, though I probably can't articulate why very well), I might start them earlier.