Menu

Little Britches series by Ralph Moody

LNC

I bought this set bc I've heard this series is wonderful for boys especially. They look a little challenging as a reader for my 9yo. Have any of you tried to read the whole series out loud? We listened to the entire Little House series on cd this summer, and it was wonderful. A favorite homeschool memory. I can't find Little Britches cds or mp3s at my library and these are long books!

Does anyone have any idea how long it took you to read Little Britches to your children? There are 31 chapters and 263 pages, but pretty dense. I'm thinking I could 2 chapters a day at the most... There is no way I could keep up that pace for the entire set. Maybe he would like it enough to try to read them after the first one.

Anyone have experience with this series??

I read the first 2 books with my dc when they were 11, 9, 6 & 3. The 11 & 9 yos loved them. the others listened in as they felt like it (I didn't require it from them). I gave them the opportunity to read the rest on their own.

I LOVED them because there was soooo much opportunity to have great discussions. (ie character houses in the first book) That's a lot easier to do when you're reading them aloud. There's also some language that I edited on the fly.

Enjoy the books! They were great!:)

We read the entire series out loud. We didn't want anyone to miss out. They are great stories. But don't look at reading the WHOLE thing. Just read the first book. Pick up the next when you are ready. I really can't remember how long it took... probably several years (but not nonstop--we read other books, too!) because I didn't have the complete set. We had to wait until the next book (or two) was bought. That was when the oldest kids were maybe 9. I've since then reread my favorites out loud to the younger crew who were too young to remember much the first time through.. I love those books....

HTH,

We read the entire series out loud. We didn't want anyone to miss out. They are great stories. But don't look at reading the WHOLE thing. Just read the first book. Pick up the next when you are ready.

This is what we did ... and I reread the first book to the kids b/c the last few chapters are so moving. It took us several years, reading off and on, but it was wonderful. I recommended the books to a friend of mine (we got an extra copy from a Sonlight promotion), and her *husband* got so into the books she couldn't read unless he was home to listen, too, and then eventually I think he took over reading the series to their kids. Definitely appeals to boys (and husbands ;-)