Menu

Tired of unreasonable people.....

So, a few days ago I posted about accidentially sending the wrong books out to two people- I crossed their orders by accident. They both paid the same amount for each book I sold. One lady is being very nice and understands, the other one is being downright obnoxious and demanding a refund RIGHT NOW. I told her to send the wrong book back and THEN I will refund her for the book she didn't get and the postage to send back my book. I don't think that is unreasonable. I am just unwilling to refund her before getting the other book back. After losing the $112 last week on a package USPS lost and failed to deliver I can't lose anymore books or money. Am I being unreasonable?

I'm not so sure...I know that my budget is so tight right now that if I were sent the wrong book, I wouldn't be able to re-order the correct book until I received my refund. If I had to wait on a school book for my dc, or a book I need professionally, because of your mistake, I would be upset. I don't think you're wrong, but I don't think it's fair to make the buyer wait even longer because of a mistake you made. I'd probably go ahead and refund, with a *huge* apology. :001_smile:

ETA: I'm sorry. I realize this was probably not the reply you were looking for, but I hope you know I mean it in the kindest possible way!

Edited by Julie in CA

I'm not so sure...I know that my budget is so tight right now that if I were sent the wrong book, I wouldn't be able to re-order the correct book until I received my refund. If I had to wait on a school book for my dc, or a book I need professionally, because of your mistake, I would be upset. I don't think you're wrong, but I don't think it's fair to make the buyer wait even longer because of a mistake you made. I'd probably go ahead and refund, with a *huge* apology. :001_smile:

She said she already ordered the other book because she couldn't wait. She knew three days ago she couldn't wait so why stall? I get what you are saying and I know I made a mistake, but I can't afford another one. Frankly, the way this woman is behaving I don't trust her to send my book back and if she doesn't then I need to refund the other lady too!

Honestly, I know it stinks, but if they are not willing to wait for the correct book I would go ahead and send the refund (including money for them to ship the other book back) with my apologies.

And then I would pester the heck out of them until they sent me the book back.

:grouphug:

I'm so sorry that you're having so much trouble with trying to sell a few things. I'm having lots of $$ troubles right now, so something like this would probably have me headed straight for a breakdown. :(

I don't think you're being unreasonable, but I don't think the buyer is being unreasonable either. You DID make the mistake. I know it's an honest mistake and one anyone could make (I did this with a PBS order once) but none of this is her fault. I know you're worried you won't get your book back, but she's probably worried she'll send the book & won't get her money back. I understand you can't afford to lose more money at this point, but perhaps she can't either. Could you meet her half-way? Maybe send the shipping or half the book money as a show of good faith?

I don't think you're being unreasonable, but I don't think the buyer is being unreasonable either. You DID make the mistake. I know it's an honest mistake and one anyone could make (I did this with a PBS order once) but none of this is her fault. I know you're worried you won't get your book back, but she's probably worried she'll send the book & won't get her money back. I understand you can't afford to lose more money at this point, but perhaps she can't either. Could you meet her half-way? Maybe send the shipping or half the book money as a show of good faith?

I do see her point, but in any other sale situation when one wants a refund they have to return the merchandise. I could offer her half and then the other half when I get my book. I'll see what she says.

I think you should go ahead and refund the money now. If she has paid on paypal, she could dispute the transaction and presumably get a full refund.

The mistake was on your end. You are the seller and sort of have to act like a business. When businesses make mistakes, they eat their losses.

It would be really nice of her to be generous and go to the PO and return your book to you. But, really, I don't think you can/should hold your breath. It's not her responsibility, really. It is a hassle. It takes time. She is out more money to ship it back. So, now she's out her purchase price, had to get the book later than she wanted it, wasted time purchasing it twice, and now she'll be out return postage. Hmmm.

If she is not willing/able to go to the PO, you can make it very easy for her to return it. If it is vital to you to get the book back, then I think you should send UPS or FedEx to her door to pick it up. I've done this. You pay on your end and they send a driver to p/u the package. It won't be cheap. (Normal FedEx or UPS charges plus a few dollar p/u fee.) If it isn't worth it to you to pay for p/u, and she is unwilling to go to the PO, then I think you should let it go and hope for the best.

If you are willing to pay for p/u, then offer her to refund the $$ as soon as the p/u is made. If you aren't willing to pay for p/u but she is willing to take it to the PO, I think you should refund her money now, plus a few dollars to cover her return mail, and trust she'll take the book to the PO for you.

If she won't commit to returning it at all, then I still think you owe her a full refund. (And, I think she's being a jerk if she won't return it.)

I ordered a kayboard for my DD from Walmart.com and they sent me the wrong one. I could not get a refund or a new one until I returned the wrong one. Thats pretty standard. I dont see it as unreasonable. Due to their mistake I wanted my "right" keyboard overnighted on their expense because it was their mistake, but I never expected to be sent another keyboard until I returned one.

:iagree:As a fellow homeschooling parent I would try to be kind if I had received the wrong book, but I'd be very irritated. Obviously, it's just an accidental error on your part, yet we never know what someone's breaking point is. Maybe she's had other bad transactions and just fed up. Personally I would want a refund before I sent back the book, or the correct book in hand. Honestly I wouldn't have ordered another copy until I had resolved the shipping issue with you.

I had that happen with Paperback swap once as well. thankfully the person who had received my book was great and we simply mailed the books to each other and received a shipping refund from the person who had made the mistake.

If I had made that error I would refund the buyer and HOPE she sends the book back. It would be my mistake and I'm the one who should take the loss.

:grouphug: I hope you get it all worked out.

in any other sale situation when one wants a refund they have to return the merchandise.

That hasn't been my experience if the seller was at fault. She doesn't want a refund because she doesn't like the product, she wants a refund because she ordered something and didn't receive what she ordered.

When companies have mistakenly shipped me the wrong item, I have been told often just to keep the wrong item and not bother returning it. Other times, I have been given an immediate refund (if necessary, or simply overnight shipping of the correct item), and sent shipping labels to return the mistaken item.

I do get where you're coming from, and I certainly wouldn't expect the same treatment from a small seller as I would from Amazon, or other large business, and if I were in your buyer's position, I would be fine with what you are offering. But I don't think she's necessarily being unreasonable either.

I would give her a full refund, now. It was your mistake and, as the seller, you are obligated to make it right. Likely, she will gladly send your book back. She doesn't want to steal from you...she just wants what she ordered to begin with. If you send her a refund plus shipping for her to return the book, I bet you will have your book in no time.

I wouldn't trust this lady either. I few months ago I bought some flashcards from a woman, half the cards were correct, the other half were some from another set. I sent her half back and she reimbursed me after I emailed her the amount it cost me to send them back. I didn't wait for the rest of my cards to be shipped, and I didn't expect a refund. I guess I treat people with trust and respect, the same way I would want to be treated.

I have a hard time understanding why she couldn't wait a few days to get the correct book!

I don't think you're being unreasonable, but I don't think the buyer is being unreasonable either. You DID make the mistake. I know it's an honest mistake and one anyone could make (I did this with a PBS order once) but none of this is her fault.

Yeah, that. Good customer service isn't about being in the right, it's about keeping your customers satisfied. Sure she is being demanding, but the bottom line is, you made a mistake, and your customer is dissatisfied. In your shoes, I would tell her she may keep the book she was sent, free of charge, and also have either an immediate refund or the book she ordered, her choice. That is what I would expect as a customer, if you don't want me badmouthing your business everywhere, and this kind of response to a complaint may well win you a loyal customer for life.

I think you should go ahead and refund the money now. If she has paid on paypal, she could dispute the transaction and presumably get a full refund.

The mistake was on your end. You are the seller and sort of have to act like a business. When businesses make mistakes, they eat their losses.

It would be really nice of her to be generous and go to the PO and return your book to you. But, really, I don't think you can/should hold your breath. It's not her responsibility, really. It is a hassle. It takes time. She is out more money to ship it back. So, now she's out her purchase price, had to get the book later than she wanted it, wasted time purchasing it twice, and now she'll be out return postage. Hmmm.

If she is not willing/able to go to the PO, you can make it very easy for her to return it. If it is vital to you to get the book back, then I think you should send UPS or FedEx to her door to pick it up. I've done this. You pay on your end and they send a driver to p/u the package. It won't be cheap. (Normal FedEx or UPS charges plus a few dollar p/u fee.) If it isn't worth it to you to pay for p/u, and she is unwilling to go to the PO, then I think you should let it go and hope for the best.

If you are willing to pay for p/u, then offer her to refund the $$ as soon as the p/u is made. If you aren't willing to pay for p/u but she is willing to take it to the PO, I think you should refund her money now, plus a few dollars to cover her return mail, and trust she'll take the book to the PO for you.

If she won't commit to returning it at all, then I still think you owe her a full refund. (And, I think she's being a jerk if she won't return it.)

This is the best solution. If I was the buyer the most annoying thing would be having to load up the car with the kids, get to the PO, unload kids, stand in line with kids, and pay to return a book I didn't order. I know for some that's not a big deal, but I hate going to the PO and will do anything to get out of it. Pay for the pick-up, let her know they are coming and tell her you will reimburse as soon as you see UPS has the package.

Melissa

Well, I sent her a refund. I hope I get my book back and in the same condition I sent it. It was practically new and selling it for what I did was a deal! If I don't get it back then I will need to refund the other lady as well. I understand some of the points made about it being "business" but I am not a business I am a homeschooling mom selling off her curriculum to buy more curriculum and I would never expect to receive a refund if I was holding someone's product hostage.

This on top of the $112 I lost last week (because of USPS!) has just about put me over the edge. I might just stick to selling at local used curriculum fairs.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood - I somehow thought you were doing a wahm book selling business, but now I realize that you're simply selling off your personal surplus stuff! In that case, then I don't think you need to keep to the same standards. Hopefully the person in question is honest and will return your book promptly. No wonder you're feeling sick of all this, especially since you have already lost money last week (you can't get any kind of compensation for this?), and now you get some irritating person misunderstanding your post :blushing: