Menu

Two-digit dividends in Singapore which grade?

Mandarinmom

2-digit divisors are in 5A. :)

eta: that's in US edition - I don't have Standards.

2-digit divisors are in 4A in the US edition.

ETA: -- According to the scope and sequence, it's 5A, but I know DD the Elder did it in 4A because that was the only thing we were waiting for before starting LOF, and she didn't continue with Singapore afterwards.

ETA2: -- unless I've gone dotty

Edited by nmoira

2-digit divisors are in 4A in the US edition.

The section in 4A is "division by a 1-digit number and by 10", so technically true, but it doesn't teach any 2-digit divisors other than 10 - the whole 'estimate then multiply' thing is in 5A.

eta: Had to check 'cause I thought I might be going dotty

eta2: But I still have had all 3 kids do LOF Fractions after 4B with no problems whatsoever. Was I supposed to wait? :tongue_smilie:

Edited by matroyshka

The section in 4A is "division by a 1-digit number and by 10", so technically true, but it doesn't teach any 2-digit divisors other than 10 - the whole 'estimate then multiply' thing is in 5A.
I don't have the text on hand, but she did do these. Maybe in the IP? Or maybe I got fed up and just showed her how. I'll check the IP.

eta: Had to check 'cause I thought I might be going dotty

eta2: But I still have had all 3 kids do LOF Fractions after 4B with no problems whatsoever. Was I supposed to wait? :tongue_smilie:

:tongue_smilie:

I just looked at the text. It was the division by 10's she did. That was enough, because it doesn't just have them chop a zero off the end, but rather is done using the traditional vertical algorithm. There, I feel a bit better now.

LoF only requires that the student can do calculations with multi-digit divisors, and that's not a big stretch once they know the basic algorithm. :)

Thank you ladies. It is in 5a, I have also found it in singapore math scope and sequence. Divisors - that is what I was looking for. We used Saddlier-oxford math last year, and it was in the end of 4th grade book. I was wondering how come it is not in new Math+ K12. The probably will have it too in 5th grade. Lena