Menu

Is Horizons good enough by itself for math?

delaney

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

It wasn't for us. I used grades 1-4, and used them as instructed. It covered the materials as expected but my children lacked conceptual understanding.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Horizons is by far more comprehensive in the lower grades than Saxon. My ds/8, a math whiz, protested against using his Saxon Math 3 this last week and begged me to put him back in Horizons, so we are going back. I only switched to Saxon because the other two boys were doing it for middle school and I thought I would try the Math 3, it just isn't for us.

I am supplementing with MM, but only because he wants to.

It wasn't for us. I used grades 1-4, and used them as instructed. It covered the materials as expected but my children lacked conceptual understanding.

I think this would be the case here, as well. We use Righstart and MEP. I bought the Horizons 1 set, and while it is advanced as far as adding larger numbers, I can definitely say it's not nearly as focused on conceptual understanding as RS or MEP.

First of all, I'm a huge CLE fan and I have one dd who has been using it for 2 years. Dd8 has used Horizons since K and she's very quick in getting new concepts. She finished her book in April and I ordered CLE for her to use over the summer. She jumped right into CLE without a problem even though it covers a broader range of concepts. I actually prefer CLE because it includes drill to solidify the math facts and better explanations, and I was thinking of continuing with CLE with dd8 and even bought a the Teacher's Guide and several light units. However, CLE causes this dd more frustration. I think it could be the greater number of pages per lesson as well as the greater number of concepts per page. I don't think the Horizons book was ever thrown across the room like her CLE light unit was. So, although I like CLE better, I like HER better when she does Horizons. I don't think Horizons is by any means a weak program even though it may not be as conceptual as some or as thorough as others. I'm confident it will provide sufficient preparation for higher level math because of knowing others who used it in their younger years and are doing fine. So, to answer your question, yes, it's enough.

We are using Horizons 3 & 4 so I hope so!

Is there a manipulative kit though? I swear I saw one on Sonlight's website but I can't find it anywhere else.

I bought mine from Sonlight. If anything, just buy the manipulatives that you actually need! I only used the clocks and some flash cards. But, I don't use the TM that much since my kids understand it once it is explained.

The ruler would have been nice, too, but that was broken a week after we got it... :glare:

We are using Horizons 3 & 4 so I hope so!

Is there a manipulative kit though? I swear I saw one on Sonlight's website but I can't find it anywhere else.

Rainbow Resources has Horizons math manipulative kits that they've put together. You're also able to order items from it individually in case you already have some (some of them are fairly common), and it costs far less than SL's kits.

That said, I wasn't positive that the SL kit had the geometric shape flashcards (I can't remember why I thought that), and the RR kit outright stated they include 3x5 notecards for you to make a few types of cards. I finally broke down and made my own. I photocopied the pictures from my son's worksheets, cut them out and stuck them on the front of 3x5 cards, and wrote out the definitions & names of the shapes on the back (an intermediate-grade math dictionary was helpful for that).

I have also used Horizons and been very happy with the results I have seen with ds9. He is about to start Horizons 5 but we are spending the first few weeks doing the worksheets from Horizons 4 for review. He has scored very well on standardized testing based on Horizons alone.

One of my learns from doing Horizons with my oldest ds is that I will do better about following the directions in the TM with my middle ds. I did not spend enough time drilling basic facts like they encourage and we have been playing catch up there. Won't make that mistake again.

As far as conceptual understanding, it really depends on your dc, imo. My oldest has a strong conceptual understanding of math from simply using Horizons. I have stopped and used manipulatives along the way but not tons of them. He just sees it and gets it after a few times. Other kids may need it more spelled out for them. My oldest is math-intuitive and it would be over-kill if I did much more than is laid out in the Horizons TM.

I did choose to supplement this year with Evan-Moore's Daily Word Problems because my oldest needed some extra practice here. I don't see this as a weakness in Horizons but rather an area of weakness for my son that can be easily remedied. Any program will not be a perfect fit 100% of the time.