Menu

Where do you find girls knee legth (or longer) skirts?

I've checked Target, Wal-Mart, Old Navy, Children's Place, Kohls.....I can't find anything other than ones that are above the knee. Sorry, I just don't want my girls wearing those. My girls each have one skirt that we found at Target about a year ago that go right below their knee. I wish I could find more like that. I like the Hanna Andersson ones.....they look like they are right about at the knee, but they are so pricey.

Our Costco recently began carrying Hanna Andersson leggings and PJs... I am hoping they carry dresses soon.

Dh & I love what Land's End carries for girls. They carry modest skirts and dresses that hit at or below the knee. Plus, the clothes wear VERY well!! I know you can find Land's End at some Sears stores.

I'm right there with you!

I can't sew a lick, but have a friend who can. Yeah!!!

So I support her home business and get cute, at or below the knee, twirly skirts for my princess. Costs more than Target, but I get to pick the fabrics/patterns and I'm happy to give my friend some business. And have things that fit well - my sweet pea is small for her age/height.

Also these are well made and I can sell them at consignment for good $$ or be happy handing them down to other mommies in the same situation.

We do find some good things at consignment sales and Goodwill, but those are hit or miss.

Check out local stores, even small ones, in Jewish (religious) quarters. They usually have plain, definitely long and definitely not overly tight skirts. Even though my girls and I often get our clothes from more fancy places, Jewish stores are always a good option if you're looking for modest clothes, especially skirts for little girls, which often ARE harder to find in the mainstream places.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I bought this skirt from Etsy for dd last year and it is marvelous! You can buy the pattern here. When I received the skirt, the first thing I thought was how incredibly perfect it was for a little girl and the second thing I thought is how easy and cheap it would be to make them myself! Because it has an elastic waist, it still fits her beautifully. It has gone from mid-calf length to just below the knee. I can see her getting at least another 6 months out of it. I think I'm going to buy her bloomers pattern too. :001_smile:

I buy them for my dd from Land's End. Usually from the outlet store they have online, but sometimes from the regular store. If you sign up for their emails, they often will send codes for freee shipping and other discounts. Just last week my mom and I ordered lots of clothes for my ds and my dd from there at 25% off and free shipping.

I have also had some luck at high end department stores. I just look at their clearance racks though.

Okay, honestly, I would really like to know where you're finding these long Lands' End skirts. They are so rare. Most are at knee or above. At knee, in our case, means that the skirt will be at her knee for about a week. Above the knee just isn't us.

I would say that I have seen longish skirts at Lands' End but it's been so rare.

What catalogue are you looking at? We get the kids catalogue (+ the general, men's, and women's).

I would really like to know!

Well, you got me shopping and looking for longer skirts. :)

I had to share this fun sight I found, perfect for girls who loves the twirl effect:http://www.twirlygirlshop.com/reversible_twirly_dresses.

I bet these aren't to hard to make, they'd be fun gifts to give.

Check out local stores, even small ones, in Jewish (religious) quarters. They usually have plain, definitely long and definitely not overly tight skirts. Even though my girls and I often get our clothes from more fancy places, Jewish stores are always a good option if you're looking for modest clothes, especially skirts for little girls, which often ARE harder to find in the mainstream places.

Can you mention any places in particular? I cannot seem to locate anything in my area nor find anything online.

Okay, honestly, I would really like to know where you're finding these long Lands' End skirts. They are so rare. Most are at knee or above. At knee, in our case, means that the skirt will be at her knee for about a week. Above the knee just isn't us.

I would say that I have seen longish skirts at Lands' End but it's been so rare.

What catalogue are you looking at? We get the kids catalogue (+ the general, men's, and women's).

I would really like to know!

There are cute knit dresses that hit below the knee, but imo, they are for girls 8 yo or less--they are a little "young" for above that. Again, mo. :001_smile:

OP's kids are the perfect ages.

Gap had a line of tiered skirts a few years back, and we've picked up a whole bunch of them at thrift stores.

Sometimes "dress up" outfits have longer skirts - we find these at thrifts also.

Sometimes I buy skirts intended for adults from thrift stores, and cut off the waistband, fold it over, sew it down (leaving an opening), and insert elastic. I often leave the (small) opening unsewn, so that I can replace the elastic with a larger piece later on. The advantage of this is that you can find skirts with details or fabrics you'd never be able to replicate at home.

Sometimes I sew skirts. If I make 'em long to start with, and again elastic waist, they can last quite a long time.

Etsy has a ton of people making some lovely twirl skirts in beautiful fabrics.

And it's really not hard to sew your own, though you can't always get quality fabrics without resorting to mail order.

Do dresses and leggings work for you? I saw several cute knee lenght dresses at Target the other day...sweater -type ones (although it's a bit too summery to think about that right now). They would look very cute with leggings.

If you have the money, MiniBoden has super-sweet peasant skirts.

www.bodenusa.com/en-us/Girls-Skirts/32330/Girls-Raw-Edge-Gypsy-Skirt.html

I have found a bunch of great hippie skirts at second hand stores. GAP has had some, and my dd & I found a really cute long crinkle skirt at Kohl's this past July when we shopping for camp supplies. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

I'd pick a very, very simple skirt pattern and use old sheets to sew and re-sew and sew again until you can really crank skirts out for yourself. ;)

I have thought about this a lot and to me, it's the only "long term" solution. We don't wear skirts exclusively, but I hate the fact that I can't seem to find modest skirts anywhere... just here and there and only by chance. I bought one of the shorter skirts once thinking, "Oh, it doesn't look so bad...she's only five, so it's okay...and this is the only style anywhere!!!" but then, after I dried that skirt once, I realized it looked as trashy as I feared it would and we haven't worn it again. :(

Personally, I plan to make it a goal to learn how to make at least one simple style long skirt. A friend of mine who dresses herself and her girls in skirts only does this. She lets them help pick out their fabrics and she will also take in stylish, yet modest solid colored t-shirts (that she buys at Target or Walmart, etc.) and she matches those t-shirts to prints in the store.

It often looks like she bought the finished outfits at the mall, it matches so well that way... Good luck! :D

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'd pick a very, very simple skirt pattern and use old sheets to sew and re-sew and sew again until you can really crank skirts out for yourself. ;)

I have thought about this a lot and to me, it's the only "long term" solution. We don't wear skirts exclusively, but I hate the fact that I can't seem to find modest skirts anywhere... just here and there and only by chance. I bought one of the shorter skirts once thinking, "Oh, it doesn't look so bad...she's only five, so it's okay...and this is the only style anywhere!!!" but then, after I dried that skirt once, I realized it looked as trashy as I feared it would and we haven't worn it again. :(

Personally, I plan to make it a goal to learn how to make at least one simple style long skirt. A friend of mine who dresses herself and her girls in skirts only does this. She lets them help pick out their fabrics and she will also take in stylish, yet modest solid colored t-shirts (that she buys at Target or Walmart, etc.) and she matches those t-shirts to prints in the store.

It often looks like she bought the finished outfits at the mall, it matches so well that way... Good luck! :D

Try Sew What! Skirts. I'm embarrassed to say that (thanks to this thread) I just remembered I own this and haven't used it yet. Planning school seems to have taken over my life but I've pulled it down and I think I will go into my notions and fabric after the long weekend and get cracking!

I've gotten them in the past at The Children's Place. On their website it will usually state whether the skirt is above the knee, mid-knee or below the knee.

I feel your pain. My dd loves skirts, but she is so skinny--it's hard to find something that is long enough, but won't fall off her hips. She could still wear size 6 in the waist, but needs an 8 or 10 in length.

ETA: ok, I just revisited their website, and I remember why I didn't get any skirts with our order last week. Uck they're all short and ugly right now.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Make 'em, or buy long dresses with tie waists instead so they don't look like a tent :tongue_smilie:.

:iagree:

Along these lines, at the ages your children are, I would often buy jumpers (is that what they are called? Where it is a dress but w/o sleeves?) a few sizes too big. They would wear it with a shirt underneath. A jumper with a tie waist was even better! Or skirts a little too big, just pin them and pair with a long shirt on top so you can't see the pins. :)

What about for ladies? I can only locate longer skirts at Talbot's during the summertime and purchase linen, but I cannot wear linen year round and I don't sew. I am at a total loss.

Christopher & Bank (or is it Banks?) usually has some. Old Navy, sometimes. Department stores. Hippie stores, if you like that style.