Menu

Got my Phonics Road 4 today...amazing

johnandtinagilbert

It continues greatly from Level 3 with the same fluidity and function of PR 1-3.

Latin -- awesome! L. suffixes, prefixes, root bases and origins

Diagramming --- taking something so dreadful and making it so easy...wow.

spelling list....I only wish I could have spelled all these words when I was this age...what a powerful bunch of words

lit study...the writing portion of this is outstanding: oral presentation practice; character study; recognizing, analyzing and writing about themes in the story; dictation; vocabulary; timelines; mapping; paragraph and summary writing; character sketches; notetaking; outlining; fun activities.

:party:I'm gonna have to lesson plan this on my next break (in lieu of my science program ;))

I just can't get enough of this program. It ROCKS!

I'm so glad to hear it! I have followed all of your previous PR threads and have loved your enthusiasm and advice. :)

My 4 yo wanted to learn how to read, so I am using McRuffy K (very slowly) to teach him cvc words and such. If I finish the second half of it next year when he's 5, do you think I could just go into PR 1 in 1st grade? Would that be redundant?

God Bless your school year!

Yay!!! That is so exciting. Can I just tell you again how very thankful I am that you have shared so much wisdom these last few months!! I am so relived to not have to worry about LA for any of my kiddo's again until they are in High School because of the Phonics Road and Latin Road.

I'm so glad to hear it! I have followed all of your previous PR threads and have loved your enthusiasm and advice. :)

My 4 yo wanted to learn how to read, so I am using McRuffy K (very slowly) to teach him cvc words and such. If I finish the second half of it next year when he's 5, do you think I could just go into PR 1 in 1st grade? Would that be redundant?

God Bless your school year!

Thank you for the blessing :)

It would probably make the reading portion easy, but the spelling portion is where you'd benefit. You also start the grammar section briefly in PR1, and really kick in the spelling rules. Spelling lists start in week 5, so that's a lot of spelling lists. You'll see how she uses the spelling lists in grammar and spelling rule pages. Great stuff! So long as your son is comfy with writing, you'd be fine to get started. Remember, the levels are just that, levels, not really grades the way we classify them as grade=1 school year. You can always slow down or speed up to match the needs of your dc.

What is this? Never heard of this before... When do you start this, and what is so great about it? I am teaching my 5yo to read, but not grammar, etc... so not sure if he would be in level 1.

Here is a review and our "story" of how I found The Phonics Road. There are also many threads on the matter in this social group.

Tina, you should really receive free materials for all the interest you've generated in Phonics Road!! We should all write to Ms. Beers and tell her so! lol
Honestly, I just want to take a picture with her and have her autograph it. She's my language arts hero. :001_wub:She has taken everything I ever wanted in that area and made it easy for me. God bless her!

Yay!!! That is so exciting. Can I just tell you again how very thankful I am that you have shared so much wisdom these last few months!! I am so relived to not have to worry about LA for any of my kiddo's again until they are in High School because of the Phonics Road and Latin Road.
You know the expression, "Mi casa, es su casa." Well, I think of it as my blessing is your blessing. Happy to oblige.

It sounds so complete! Are there any samples of this anywhere?
There are some samples on the website; but I don't think they do the program justice. The scope and sequence helps a bit. There are also some "days in the life" on my blog (in siggy) and Linda's. It is totally complete! I linked to my review up above. It is an amazing program and imho, worth every penny!

Guest aquiverfull

:party: So happy for you Tina! I also agree that you should have gotten it for free. :) PR is such a wonderful program, so comprehensive. It's the best AIO program I've ever seen. We are enjoying it, I love modeling Mrs. Beers and teaching my dd. Even though, I've shown frustration over having to watch the dvds, I know that this is the best program out there and will continue on. :)

:party: So happy for you Tina! I also agree that you should have gotten it for free. :) PR is such a wonderful program, so comprehensive. It's the best AIO program I've ever seen. We are enjoying it, I love modeling Mrs. Beers and teaching my dd. Even though, I've shown frustration over having to watch the dvds, I know that this is the best program out there and will continue on. :)

Okay, you can all give me a plug and maybe I can get LR3 for nothin' instead...I have all the PRs :) (j/k).

So glad you're plugging along and enjoying the program.

Even though, I've shown frustration over having to watch the dvds, I know that this is the best program out there and will continue on. :)

Kelli,

Will you PLEASE, oh pretty please, share about this dvd watching frustration and HOW you are dealing with it? More than anything else this is the reason I sold PR 1 shortly after purchasing it. It was VERY disappointing . . . I was beyond thrilled to finally purchase it. I felt more stupid than I'd ever felt before . . . I could NOT translate what I'd learned by watching the DVD (and taking notes) over to actually teaching the kids. Every time I'd start I'd stand there and stare at the notebooks, notes, and the kids. Then I'd just stop because I really didn't know what to do.

Will you share your experience, what is difficult for you and how you are pushing through in order to teach your kids?:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Thanks.

Kelli,

Will you PLEASE, oh pretty please, share about this dvd watching frustration and HOW you are dealing with it? More than anything else this is the reason I sold PR 1 shortly after purchasing it. It was VERY disappointing . . . I was beyond thrilled to finally purchase it. I felt more stupid than I'd ever felt before . . . I could NOT translate what I'd learned by watching the DVD (and taking notes) over to actually teaching the kids. Every time I'd start I'd stand there and stare at the notebooks, notes, and the kids. Then I'd just stop because I really didn't know what to do.

Will you share your experience, what is difficult for you and how you are pushing through in order to teach your kids?:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

Thanks.

You could let your children watch the DVDs and pause after each word so you can all sound out and write out the words.

You could let your children watch the DVDs and pause after each word so you can all sound out and write out the words.

This is brilliant. I see how it would work . . . like having Mrs. Beers in the room. :001_smile: It seems so simple after reading that sentence you wrote. Drat.

I knew this would happen. The PR threads would begin again and I wouldn't be able to handle it. :D

Guest aquiverfull
Kelli,

Thanks.

Well I'll try. :) I just don't like having to watch the Dvds. I'm not really a movie kind of person, so I guess the dvds just don't appeal to me. It's also hard for me to find the time to watch them with so many little ones around. I've been watching them in the morning early before school and taking notes. I agree that it's tough to take all the notes. I don't want to forget anything. I want to make sure I tell my child exactly what Mrs. Beers is saying so I do take a good bit of notes. We just did all of week 9 today (since I'm accelerating my dd through). We will do all of week 10 tomorrow. It is getting easier.

I just write the words down on another sheet of paper as Mrs. Beers teaches them while I'm watching the lessons. I can put all my notes on here on that page. Next to each word, I write notes. If there is anything specific Mrs. Beers says about a certain word, I write it. If there is a rule tune I write a music note and either the entire rule tune or a piece of it to help me remember right next to the word. I write down all the words on the Building Codes sheet (on a separate sheet of paper) when taking notes and again anything important she might say. I know it's a lot of writing, stopping/pausing and restarting the dvd which is annoying. Yet, it's the only way it can work for me. It's the only way I can remember exactly what to say. I didn't want to write on the sheets in the Foreman's manual, and I wanted my notes for the words to be right next to them. That is why I write everything down on a separate sheet, instead of using the ones in the teacher's guide that are already filled in.

I think watching the dvds in the morning right before the lesson also helps to keep it fresh in my mind. It is not always convenient though. :tongue_smilie:

When I teach the lesson, I have my notes handy. I say each word, giving my dd a chance to spell it just like Mrs. Beers does. If she's having trouble I tell her. Then we do the markings, I copy Mrs. Beers exactly. If there's a tune I sing it. If there's anything Mrs. Beers said about the word, I tell my dd, and we move on to the next word.

I think you have to just jump in, copy Mrs. Beers exactly if need be. The rule tunes will become more familiar, and so will the markings.

I think Tina had a wonderful suggestion. You can just let Mrs. Beers do the teaching especially in the beginning until you get a feel for it.

I hope my lengthy explanation was helpful. :001_smile: If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Edited by aquiverfull

Well I'll try. :) I just don't like having to watch the Dvds. I'm not really a movie kind of person, so I guess the dvds just don't appeal to me. It's also hard for me to find the time to watch them with so many little ones around. I've been watching them in the morning early before school and taking notes. I agree that it's tough to take all the notes. I don't want to forget anything. I want to make sure I tell my child exactly what Mrs. Beers is saying so I do take a good bit of notes. We just did all of week 9 today (since I'm accelerating my dd through). We will do all of week 10 tomorrow. It is getting easier.

I just write the words down on another sheet of paper as Mrs. Beers teaches them while I'm watching the lessons. I can put all my notes on here on that page. Next to each word, I write notes. If there is anything specific Mrs. Beers says about a certain word, I write it. If there is a rule tune I write a music note and either the entire rule tune or a piece of it to help me remember right next to the word. I write down all the words on the Building Codes sheet (on a separate sheet of paper) when taking notes and again anything important she might say. I know it's a lot of writing, stopping/pausing and restarting the dvd which is annoying. Yet, it's the only way it can work for me. It's the only way I can remember exactly what to say. I didn't want to write on the sheets in the Foreman's manual, and I wanted my notes for the words to be right next to them. That is why I write everything down on a separate sheet, instead of using the ones in the teacher's guide that are already filled in.

I think watching the dvds in the morning right before the lesson also helps to keep it fresh in my mind. It is not always convenient though. :tongue_smilie:

When I teach the lesson, I have my notes handy. I say each word, giving my dd a chance to spell it just like Mrs. Beers does. If she's having trouble I tell her. Then we do the markings, I copy Mrs. Beers exactly. If there's a tune I sing it. If there's anything Mrs. Beers said about the word, I tell my dd, and we move on to the next word.

I think you have to just jump in, copy Mrs. Beers exactly if need be. The rule tunes will become more familiar, and so will the markings.

I think Tina had a wonderful suggestion. You can just let Mrs. Beers do the teaching especially in the beginning until you get a feel for it.

I hope my lengthy explanation was helpful. :001_smile: If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help if I can.

It is helpful . . . Thank-you!

I am not making any dramatic decisions. Sometimes I decide RASHLY and then regret . . .

Is this effort WORTH IT to you? Over time do you think you can keep up with what is required of you? Do you think you might lose steam and not want to continue to put this much of yourself into preparation? Perhaps this "prep time" will decrease as you become familiar with the program and more confident in teaching it. This is why I appreciate the scripted manuals.:001_smile::001_smile: I didn't realize that until I tried the DVD way. It's my big hang up with PR . . . darn it all!

Guest aquiverfull

I am not making any dramatic decisions. Sometimes I decide RASHLY and then regret . . .

Is this effort WORTH IT to you? Over time do you think you can keep up with what is required of you? Do you think you might lose steam and not want to continue to put this much of yourself into preparation? Perhaps this "prep time" will decrease as you become familiar with the program and more confident in teaching it. This is why I appreciate the scripted manuals.:001_smile::001_smile: I didn't realize that until I tried the DVD way. It's my big hang up with PR . . . darn it all!

Katrina, I completely understand where you are at. I actually had all intentions of being further along with PR than where we currently are. We actually started this back in April and we only completed 5 weeks worth. I ran out of steam. I really, really dislike having to watch those dvds. I have questioned PR a whole lot lately. Not having a proper TM is a huge hang up for me as well.

We quit PR after getting to week 5 (it took us 3 weeks, if I'm remembering correctly to do that, remember we are accelerating). At that point I didn't want to watch any more dvds...lol. So we quit. We took our summer break the last week of May and just started school back up on Aug 16. I was having a tough time getting back into watching those dvds. I wondered if PR would really work for us, and I considered buying AAS. Something keeps bringing me back to PR, probably all that money I spent (I bought the first 2 levels)...lol. So I figured I'd bite the bullet and try again. So far we have missed a few days because I simply forgot to watch those dvds. I can't say that I won't lose steam again. Is it worth it? Well right now I feel like it is. I do feel like PR is a superior program and I still plan on using it with my younger dds. I hope I can stick with it.

Katrina, I completely understand where you are at. I actually had all intentions of being further along with PR than where we currently are. We actually started this back in April and we only completed 5 weeks worth. I ran out of steam. I really, really dislike having to watch those dvds. I have questioned PR a whole lot lately. Not having a proper TM is a huge hang up for me as well.

We quit PR after getting to week 5 (it took us 3 weeks, if I'm remembering correctly to do that, remember we are accelerating). At that point I didn't want to watch any more dvds...lol. So we quit. We took our summer break the last week of May and just started school back up on Aug 16. I was having a tough time getting back into watching those dvds. I wondered if PR would really work for us, and I considered buying AAS. Something keeps bringing me back to PR, probably all that money I spent (I bought the first 2 levels)...lol. So I figured I'd bite the bullet and try again. So far we have missed a few days because I simply forgot to watch those dvds. I can't say that I won't lose steam again. Is it worth it? Well right now I feel like it is. I do feel like PR is a superior program and I still plan on using it with my younger dds. I hope I can stick with it.

Kelli,

I really appreciate your candor. :001_smile: Thank-you for sharing your struggles and the path you've been on. It helps me to keep to the current "path" we're on and continue to PRAY about PR (well, to start again because I am having seller's remorse and the worry over it means I need to pray about it all). I did not do what you have done in giving PR a good run for the money! I gave up fairly quickly out of desperation and in a panic.

Thanks again Kelli! You've been a tremendous help and encouragement to me today. :001_smile::001_smile:

Watching the DVD for a whole week's worth of PR 1 is only 30 minutes, and that is if you don't fast forward at all. I thought watching the DVD was a pain until I timed it.

I also realize that I may lose a bit of steam once it takes longer and I was thinking about having Emily watch the DVD for the lesson. They aren't very long if you only do one day at a time.

I do think that the major downfall of the program is lack of a teacher's guide. Personally, I do not mind watching the dvds. I'm a geek that way and I actually enjoy it. It's been about 40 minutes for a week's worth of lessons. I just sit at my computer/desk and watch it. It's easier to stop and go back if necessary and easier for me to write at my desk. I'm picking up the pattern so I"m able to simplify my note taking a little bit. I do think that for the price paid, the note taking should be done for me. :D

I stand at the white board and say the word and sentence and then ask which sounds he hears in the word. I write them on the board as he says them and then I ask if there are any markings. He is crazy excited to run up and make the markings on the board. He then goes back and spells the word on the paper and makes the markings again. At the end of the day's lessons he reads the words to me.

Later when he is reading out loud, if he is stuck on a word, I point out the phonograms and wha'la, he can read. This makes it worth the effort to me.

I like the fact that the words aren't grouped based on a rule like aas. I found aas too easy that way and difficult to translate outside of the lesson. For instance, we learned that we often double l f and s after a single vowel at the end of a syllable. So every word on the list ends with a double l f and s. Where's the challenge?

Phonics road and swr include a strong logic element. They have to learn rules and sounds and sort through them time and time again to make the correct markings.

Now that I understand more about the method, I can read and understand the methods in swr as well. I haven't used swr and am only on week 6 of pr, but to be honest, swr looks to have some elements that I really wish were included in PR. Then again, maybe they are and I just don't know it because PR doesn't have a teacher's guide for me to read through to see what's coming up. :confused:

I also recognize the fact that it's easier for me because I only have one child so I don't have to juggle multiple levels of curriculum. I think if I had more children, I might be more likely to stick with AAS.

I like the fact that the words aren't grouped based on a rule like aas. I found aas too easy that way and difficult to translate outside of the lesson. For instance, we learned that we often double l f and s after a single vowel at the end of a syllable. So every word on the list ends with a double l f and s. Where's the challenge? This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some kids need things to be simple when they are first learning a new thing. Also, if one is using the flash cards as they should for continual review then the student will be sorting through a mixture of them time and again... and the dictation in the later levels will accomplish that as well.

Phonics road and swr include a strong logic element. They have to learn rules and sounds and sort through them time and time again to make the correct markings. I do really think that we benefit from the analysis of the words. Even when they are simpler to spell, going through all of the sounds of the phonograms and the rule tunes, analyzing the words each time builds on itself so that when the student gets to the more difficult words those skills are already in place. It is an amazing program. Simple yet advanced.

. Edited by Lovedtodeath

I do think that the major downfall of the program is lack of a teacher's guide. Personally, I do not mind watching the dvds. I'm a geek that way and I actually enjoy it. It's been about 40 minutes for a week's worth of lessons. I just sit at my computer/desk and watch it. It's easier to stop and go back if necessary and easier for me to write at my desk. I'm picking up the pattern so I"m able to simplify my note taking a little bit. I do think that for the price paid, the note taking should be done for me. :D

I stand at the white board and say the word and sentence and then ask which sounds he hears in the word. I write them on the board as he says them and then I ask if there are any markings. He is crazy excited to run up and make the markings on the board. He then goes back and spells the word on the paper and makes the markings again. At the end of the day's lessons he reads the words to me.

Later when he is reading out loud, if he is stuck on a word, I point out the phonograms and wha'la, he can read. This makes it worth the effort to me. Yup. Same here.

I like the fact that the words aren't grouped based on a rule like aas. I found aas too easy that way and difficult to translate outside of the lesson. For instance, we learned that we often double l f and s after a single vowel at the end of a syllable. So every word on the list ends with a double l f and s. Where's the challenge? We TOTALLY had that problem here. My eldest dc was getting 100% on all his spelling lists for years, until about end of 3rd grade when all of a sudden the lists were more combined instead of word families...then I saw we were in TROUBLE. He couldn't spell all those words he had already gotten correct. Poor phonics foundation was the problem. He paid for it for the next 4 years. Painful are gaps. Lovely is PR b/c it eliminates them.

Phonics road and swr include a strong logic element. They have to learn rules and sounds and sort through them time and time again to make the correct markings.

Now that I understand more about the method, I can read and understand the methods in swr as well. I haven't used swr and am only on week 6 of pr, but to be honest, swr looks to have some elements that I really wish were included in PR. Then again, maybe they are and I just don't know it because PR doesn't have a teacher's guide for me to read through to see what's coming up. :confused:

I also recognize the fact that it's easier for me because I only have one child so I don't have to juggle multiple levels of curriculum. I think if I had more children, I might be more likely to stick with AAS.

:iagree: Although there are lesson plans, it sure would be nice to have the DVDs in a script. Evenso, after you get a feel for the program, you truly can fast forward a TON...it took me some time (like aquiverful said), but after noticing the pattern, the DVD watching becomes less and less of an issue. The pattern is the same for all the levels. The only new thing you'll need to learn comes along in mid level 3 when you learn how to handle the Latin introduction (which is great, btw).

I'm awaiting my PR3 and I have my PR2 for my youngest. I'm very impressed as well. I love using Phonics Road.

Heather

:hurray::party::cheers2:

Carmen said it well, "Simple yet advanced." It just take the proverbial minute to figure it out, then it really is simple.

I wanted to add ;) I have no affiliation with this program...I just love it and have found it to be the most thorough LA program in my years of home schooling. I've been around for 12 years, so WWE and MCT were not available to me (at least to my knowledge), so after using the ole' reliables (CM methods, RS, FLL, Abeka, Spelling Power, 100EZL) my world was enlightened when I found this and am I SOOO happy for it. The only other program I love, love, love (although since I am an English teacher at heart, I don't love quite as much) is TOG. Otherwise, I don't so strongly endorse anything else. There are plenty of good math options; most sciences are not exactly what I'm looking for :glare: but do the job, etc. etc.....PR and TOG fit the bill for us -- head on!

Guest aquiverfull
Kelli,

I really appreciate your candor. :001_smile: Thank-you for sharing your struggles and the path you've been on. It helps me to keep to the current "path" we're on and continue to PRAY about PR (well, to start again because I am having seller's remorse and the worry over it means I need to pray about it all). I did not do what you have done in giving PR a good run for the money! I gave up fairly quickly out of desperation and in a panic.

Thanks again Kelli! You've been a tremendous help and encouragement to me today. :001_smile::001_smile:

I'm so glad that I could help. :)