Menu

I need to get a new printer/copier/scanner.

I don't use much color ink. I have a Canon inkjet right now that's about to die. I use maybe one color cartridge for every 4 black cartridges. I'd like to keep the ink prices down.

The guy at Office Max recommended Kodak ESP 5250 as a great all-purpose machine with cheaper ink.

Any opinions about this machine or any other recommendations?

I just threw away a perfectly good Lexmark because if one of the color cartridges is out of ink, you can't even print using all black ink. You can't make copies or print, even if the item you are printing or copying is all in black. It is a complete scam, and I will never buy another Lexmark product again. Even if they change this policy, I won't do it.

Also, Lexmark cartridges, even the high-use ones, do fewer than 100 copies.

There is no way to tell from the outside of the box if other brands try to force you to buy ink you do not need, so I bought a printer-only black-only Brother printer. I am still trying to make the Wi-Fi part of it work, so I can't wholeheartedly endorse it yet.

Terri

I just threw away a perfectly good Lexmark because if one of the color cartridges is out of ink, you can't even print using all black ink. You can't make copies or print, even if the item you are printing or copying is all in black.

We had an Epson that did this, too. I hated that printer.

Now we have an HP Photosmart Plus. So far, so good.

Even after the savings, that's more than I'm willing to spend. The Kodak machine is $120 until the sale ends on 9/4.

The machine I have right now is a Canon and it apparently has a waste ink absorber that fills up so that it has to be serviced. Servicing it would cost more than my machine originally did (it's a printer and nothing else). I'd rather replace it with something that has cheaper ink and can do everything.

We had an Epson that did this, too. I hated that printer.

Just retired my Epson for the same reason .. plus ink was just too costly.

I've been reading all posts lately about printers & done a little research on my own (including going to the stores that I frequently buy ink from) to check ink costs. Kodak kicks butt in the ink-price category! So, I just picked up a new Kodak ESP3200 at WalMart for $69.99. :)